Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

PS3 Square Button Sony Drops 20GB PS3 in States

Sponsored Links
    April 12, 2007 - Sony Computer Entertainment America has confirmed that its axing the $499 20GB version of the PlayStation 3 in favour of the far more popular 60GB model.

Although there are still 20GB versions available in stores, Sony won't be replacing them once stock runs out. "This is based purely on consumer and retailer demand, which favoured the ($599) 60GB model 10 to one," explained SCEA PR boss Dave Karraker.

For those existing 20GB PS3 owners, Karraker confirmed full PlayStation support will continue to be available. Furthermore, as is customary these days, Karraker also took the opportunity to take a swipe at Microsoft.

"Current 20GB consumers will still be 100% supported with software and services," he boasted, "since all PS3s have the same basic architecture. Unlike if Microsoft were to stop selling their Core system, which would allow publishers to actually use their hard drive for gaming purposes, leaving the Core user out in the cold." Oooh, get you.

The news is likely to be met with casual indifference in Europe, where the lower-end PS3 was never released.

Thanks to [Register or Login to view links] for sharing the news with us!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I think its actually a better idea, built in Wi-Fi, the card reader and the bigger hard drive are all worth the $100. The Wi-Fi alone will rape you $100 on the 360, and another $100 for the 20GB HDD. Very wise not to buy a core system, you can't save games and basically if you buy a core + a HDD your paying as much as a premium but not getting the Wi-Fi, a wired controller instead of a wireless controller, no xbox live headset and a standard AV cable instead of an HD AV cable.

The core SKU is a big rip off, can't say that the 20GB PS3 was because there sony hasn't released a wireless adapter for the 20GB (and probably won't now) and it already has a HDD albeit a smaller one.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    This pisses me off. If Sony was honest and said "we are pulling the 20GB because we take too big a loss on it" it would be perfectly ok. But that isn't what they did. They are LYING and saying that they are pulling it because demand wasn't high enough, when they purposefully didn't make enough systems. They planned this whole thing from the start to say that they are only $100 more than the 360, when that was never their intention. And whats worse is that their trick worked on a lot of people! It's things like this that are going to hurt Sony even worse than the high price tag and poor game library.

I dunno the ratio was 20%/80% on launch in Japan.

I think most gamers knew to get the 60GB whilst general public got the 20GB version.

Our own PS3News also has a 20GB PS3.

Not me... mine is a 60GB, but CJPC got stuck with a 20GB at launch.

Must have got mixed up lol, I knew one of you guys had a 20GB.

This pisses me off too, as I was planning to buy the 20G model. A pointless memory card reader, wireless access I have no desire to use, and a 60 Gig hard drive I will most likely end up replacing anyway are NOT worth $100.

This quote: "This is based purely on consumer and retailer demand" is only half. Retaillers did indeed have higher demand for the 60G version as that one had a higher profit margin for stores. Consumer, however, were never really given a choice. I've seen countless 60G PS3's available in stores all over the place for the past several months. However, I have NEVER EVER seen a single 20G model on a store shelf ANYWHERE! If we were to use availability as a metric for consumer demand, it would appear 20G model is in far greater demand than the 60G.

-=The Jesster: Gatchaba Goose=-

I think most gamers knew to get the 60GB whilst general public got the 20GB version.
    A 30-60$ wireless repeater will give you a wireless connection for ALL of your consoles and devices at the same time. The difference between 20 gigs and 60 gigs of space is negligible. Neither is enough for the serious user, and if your going to put in say a 250 gig anyways, why pay more for a 60 gig you aren't even using?

$ony shafted the consumer and is now blaming it on the them as to why they did it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    A 30-60$ wireless repeater will give you a wireless connection for ALL of your consoles and devices at the same time. The difference between 20 gigs and 60 gigs of space is negligible. Neither is enough for the serious user, and if your going to put in say a 250 gig anyways, why pay more for a 60 gig you aren't even using?

$ony shafted the consumer and is now blaming it on the them as to why they did it!
    Exactly. You read my thoughts. I already had had a wireless game adapter, (which costed me only 20 USD, btw)works flawlessly. If I do need a bigger hard drive in the future then what I already have, I'm sure I can get a better deal for alot less then what sony has to offer. Plus I'm no fan of memory card add-ons either. I'm happy with the built in HD virtual memory card. PS3 is a PS3, 20 gigs or 60 gigs.

So, I guess the 20 giger will be a rare collectors item since they are stopping so soon on development

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News