Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    hmm, too bad none of us can be honest with ourselves about the things we could do, should do, or would do, it doesn't matter because the only real course of action would be to BOYCOTT sony, haha WHO IN THE HELL AM I KIDDING !!! as beneficial as it would be (if everyone that owned and lived by sony ent. products) for us as gamers to walk away until sony bends or breaks just a little, i can't honestly say i could stay off and away from my ps3 or the psn.

so it wouldnt do any good and besides i wonder if it would even hurt the company if in the event something like that did happen.. you are right they are 'THA MAN' and we are just peons and stepping stones to their huge corporate empire.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Also the PS3 could do with a PS/PS2 software reader, I could say if Sony work on that it can guarantee 1/8 less hackers and jailbreaking.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I don't understand, so will people that already have playstation plus get 60 days free or just 30 days like everyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Mexicodude908 View Post
    I don't understand, so will people that already have playstation plus get 60 days free or just 30 days like everyone else?
    30 days just like everyone else.

better than the nothing that i expected i guess.. around $5 to $7 for a month of plus... gee sony don't outdo yourselves... i'm plus member anyway.. plus is ok. but could be a lot better. i got the map pack for kz3 free last month.. a few games that are 3-6/10.. there are some ok discounts and the trials are ok, but i noticed the trial games trophies you win don't count on psn until you buy the game from psn.

there was prince of persia trial when i 1st did plus 2 months ago.. (60mins free trial per game!!) i got approx 10% of the trophies and they didnt count, so i hired the game and still didn't get them for some reason so i had to do the game agian.. i didn't mind as i like the game anyway but wanted to try for more than 1 rushed hour to see if id buy it.. LOL

the minis are garbage imo and the avatars and themes are ok.. i like my kz3 capture trooper one that everyone asks where i got it which is annoying.. so yeah i think $50 psn store credit would have been better.. i bet the free months psns content will be absolute garbage... there should be a heap of new things up straight away for the last 2 weeks of april and mays stuff also.

we miss out somehow.. and im sure it will be altered content as its free.. LOL garbage usually is free!! i'll be interested to see what discounts they have on plus when psn back up...
    Quote Originally Posted by mushy409 View Post
    Well said! Just to highlight a few things you mentioned...

1) PS2 compatibility - many people were swindled with this as only the 60GB model supports ps2 games (did the 20Gb do as well?)

2) Linux - Sony gave with one hand & gained a few million users JUST for this functionality alone. Then with the other hand they completely removed OtherOS support and pretty much screwed those customers (and military)

3) Remember the price of this console when it first hit the shelves? I remember walking past Curry's and laughing out loud at the crowd gathered there willing to blow 600-700 on a games console which eventually would end up having the functions slowly strangled out of the firmware due to Sony's greed

4) Like every manufacturer - Sony loves to control the masses and continue to try and shape the way we buy/play games into something like their 'perfect customer'. Hyping crowds, advertising, practically brainwashing the youth of now into the 'buying trend'

5) I LOVED the PS1 & PS2. The PS3 has put me off Sony products just for the fact that I can't play on the damn thing without sony supervising me on do's and do nots, mandatory service updates (update or get boned for new games) and T&C's saying that anything happens, tough shit cos we ain't liable even though you pay us for the service/product. Oh, and by the way we want $150 to fix OUR bad design. Because we are Sony, we pass the screwups, stress & cost onto YOU the customer.

I think the last few weeks/months can be summarised by the following:

Sony only see 1 thing when it comes to customers - a number & potential cash flow from them. Take 1000's off people, remove console features slowly & slap down anyone who opposes or questions them. Then after bleeding the crowd dry, offer them 10% off some crap when they spend more cash on their products just to say they've 'rewarded their customers'

As for the hacking/CFW explosion - Sony didn't want anyone to know detailed info about the console's workings etc. Either that or they were afraid of the innevitable - hackers finding out what a pile of shit the console really is. Nothing more than a polished SCEA turd with badly managed customer relations, and even worse software/hardware engineers who can cobble together a console with their name plastered on every IC & part they could to put people off.

Thing is though... the truth comes out eventually... One final thing, ever heard the term "Grabbed by the balls"? That is EXACTLY what sony does with customers.

As a gamer for many years now, I have owned pretty much every console sold up to date. I own a PS3 & an Xbox 360. Neither of them are any better than eachother as I STILL end up going back to my PC knowing that the game I'm playing doesn't come with a sweatty, gripping hand clamped around my testicles squeezing me into doing things I don't want.
    well said mate... you deserve an award for that one... can i still + rep!!
    Last edited by elser1; 05-02-2011 at 06:01 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

some damage control here by Sony to offer free PSN plus!!!

Well I for one am going nowhere near PSN again, I never really did in the first place though. I'm not a fan of the halfassed implementations of internet play that consoles have gotten and the fact that its now increasingly popular to just not bother with a local multiplayer option.

I'm more interested in what they're going to do for the folks who have had their data stolen, I know a PSN game or two isn't going to help them in the slightest and is more than a bit of an empty gesture.

Sony suspends SOE gaming following PlayStation hack

Today Sony's Senior Director of Corporate Communications & Social Media Patrick Seybold has made available another PlayStation Network security update to clarify some common PSN concerns alongside a SOE Press Release, as follows:

On Tuesday, April 26 we shared that some information that was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. Once again, we’d like to apologize to the many users who were inconvenienced and worried about this situation.

We want to state this again given the increase in speculation about credit card information being used fraudulently. One report indicated that a group tried to sell millions of credit card numbers back to Sony. To my knowledge there is no truth to this report of a list, or that Sony was offered an opportunity to purchase the list.

One other point to clarify is from this weekend’s press conference. While the passwords that were stored were not “encrypted,” they were transformed using a cryptographic hash function. There is a difference between these two types of security measures which is why we said the passwords had not been encrypted. But I want to be very clear that the passwords were not stored in our database in [Register or Login to view links] form. For a description of the difference between encryption and hashing, [Register or Login to view links].

To reiterate a few other security measures for your information: Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking.

When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well. To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports.

We continue to work with law enforcement and forensic experts to identify the criminals behind the attack. Once again, we apologize for causing users concern over this matter.

Our objective is to increase security so our customers can safely and confidently play games and use our network and media services. We will continue to provide updates as we have them.

Sony has also suspended another of its online gaming systems, following the recent PlayStation Network hack. The company took the Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) service offline as part of its wider investigation into security breaches. Multiplayer games including DC Universe and Facebook-based Fortune League were unavailable as a result.

Sony admitted last week that the personal details of 77m PlayStation users may have been stolen by hackers. The suspension of SOE was announced in brief statement on its Web site, [Register or Login to view links].

To quote from the [Register or Login to view links]: "We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily. In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today (Monday)," it said.

Last week, Sony said that it did not believe SOE users had been affected by the PlayStation Network hack.

A community relations spokesperson wrote on one of Sony's support forums at the time: "We have been conducting a thorough investigation and, to the best of our knowledge, no customer personal information got out to any unauthorized person or persons.

"We are continuing that investigation and monitoring the situation carefully; should the situation change, we will - of course - promptly notify you."

Sony Online Entertainment designs and publishes online multiplayer games for the PC, PlayStation 3 and, in the case of Fortune League, Facebook."

Finally, what comes just days after a [Register or Login to view links], Nikkei reports (via [Register or Login to view links]) that SOE has lost 12,700 customer credit card numbers as the result of the attack.

The company apparently took SOE servers offline after learning of the attack last evening, but has yet to issue a statement confirming that customer information has been lost.

Of the 12,700 total, 4,300 are alleged to be from Japan, while the remainder's origins are unknown.

From the official [Register or Login to view links], to quote: As previously announced, we have been conducting an ongoing, thorough investigation stemming from the cyber attack in April and promised to notify you should there be any changes to the situation.

A press release was issued today outlining these details. We will promptly send a customer service notification via email to all of our impacted account holders whose customer data may have been stolen as a result of an illegal intrusion on our systems. This information was discovered less than 24 hours ago and in response, we took down our services until we could verify their security.

SOE is committed to delivering secure, stable and entertaining games for players of all ages and we're working around the clock to ensure this situation is resolved as quickly as possible. We deeply regret the inconvenience this has caused and appreciate your continued patience and feedback.

CUSTOMER SERVICE NOTIFICATION - May 2, 2011

Dear Valued Sony Online Entertainment Customer: Our ongoing investigation of illegal intrusions into Sony Online Entertainment systems has discovered that hackers may have obtained personal customer information from SOE systems. We are today advising you that the personal information you provided us in connection with your SOE account may have been stolen in a cyber-attack. Stolen information includes, to the extent you provided it to us, the following: name, address (city, state, zip, country), email address, gender, birthdate, phone number, login name and hashed password.

Customers outside the United States should be advised that we further discovered evidence that information from an outdated database from 2007 containing approximately 12,700 non-US customer credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes) and about 10,700 direct debit records listing bank account numbers of certain customers in Germany, Austria, Netherlands and Spain may have also been obtained. We will be notifying each of those customers promptly.

There is no evidence that our main credit card database was compromised. It is in a completely separate and secured environment.

We had previously believed that SOE customer data had not been obtained in the cyber-attacks on the company, but on May 1st we concluded that SOE account information may have been stolen and we are notifying you as soon as possible.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the attack and as a result, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off all SOE game services;
    2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and
    3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When SOE's services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your Station or SOE game account name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information for those who wish to consider it:

U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report, visit [Register or Login to view links] or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.

We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S. credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus place a "fraud alert" on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however, that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you, it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report, please contact any one of the agencies listed below.

Experian: 888-397-3742; [Register or Login to view links] P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
    Equifax: 800-525-6285; [Register or Login to view links] P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
    TransUnion: 800-680-7289; [Register or Login to view links] Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

You may wish to visit the web site of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at [Register or Login to view links] or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General, and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone (877) 566-7226; or [Register or Login to view links]. For Maryland residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; telephone: (888) 743-0023; or [Register or Login to view links].

We are committed to helping our customers protect their personal data and we will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in regions in which such programs are commonly utilized.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1 (866) 436-6698 should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Sony Online Entertainment LLC

Sony PlayStation Network Security Update, SOE Now Down

More PlayStation 3 News...

Promoted to the main page now, and +Rep for sharing the update GrandpaHomer!

...and apparently lost from an outdated 2007 database, again against DPA regardless of how secure the system is (if it was secured at all).

You can't just keep peoples info on file in-case you might need it, all personal information must be: kept up to date, accurate, secure and only be held for it's pre-defined purpose then removed!

I mean it's not a complicated rulebook but they're very obviously not even trying to comply with European law. Speaking as someone who spends the vast majority of his time at work following ridiculous and long winded practices to make sure we're compliant, Sony have just been lazy and it's not like the guidelines are a secret or they could have forgotten about them

Also refusing to testify over the first attack, just not smart Sony: [Register or Login to view links]
    Last edited by barrybarryk; 05-02-2011 at 08:47 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News