Originally Posted by costocart
Not realy much - practically hardly anything worth AFTER free month at least when the subs is ower, this would more benefit the current subscribers as they'll "save" on one months sub but taking in consideration the amount of the time the PSN is (and part of it still will be) down is not much either:
- cloud saves are nice (but will be gone once sub is over)
- you can "borow" a couple predefined PSN and mini games (again over with sub)
- you can purchase some content with a bit of discount (it will remain yours after end of sub but hey, guess what, Sony got your money in the end)
- you can get some "free" premium avatar or theme (will stay yours after sub ends, but not really free if you actually pay for the sub and prety much useless anyway)
- you might get some DLC for free (will stay yours I believe)
- there suppose to be (it's not yet) cross game voicechat but I doubt it will be any time soon
- you can get part of some Beta games
I've done the above list just from top of my head but I beleive it's about that.
So - bottom line - after month of borrowing a few games you migh end up with free avatar, theme and a couple of discounted items. All the such content is predefined by Sony so if you already have anything of that or are not inerrested - tough luck. That's IMO the weakest point of the whole PSN+ sub and why I would never pay for anything like that together with the fact that the "free" games are actually on the (long term) rental basis rather then ownership.
It woudl be nice if they will actually become your own games lets say after set period of months of "renting" them (3 - 6) to avoid people subscribing jsut here and theer for a short period of time just becasue of a few particular games they're after. But I doubt Sony will ever head this way so - sorry - no money from me for PSN+ ... Cloud saves and voice crosschat can justify the cost to me for this kind of "rental lottery"
And finally - I'm pretty sure that the free month of PSN+ offer would be limited by time till when you can use it, so you migh easilly end up with the period of time where there will be practically nothing interresting for you at all on offer.
There is several ways Sony can approach this (apart of the last one meant as a joke really - but with Sony you never know):
1. The offer will be limited for a reasonable amount of time when you can take it - lets say three or four months - with seemingly very good offering.
Whle this might seems tempting for current non-subscribers of PSN+ as it will give them impression of a "good deal" and also beneficial to the current subscribers (as they'll get a bit better offers than ususally) so it would seem to "cost" Sony extra money it's actually pretty smart move as they'll hardly actually loose anything. If the users "testing" the + will not suscribe, they'll lose a majority if the content anyway and if they will subscribe, there comes extra revenue. For the current subscribers, they'll get fob of later on, when this will end by a poorer offers in following months (together with all new ones). This could be also percieved as a deception and create a negative effect in the end.
2. The offer will be limited for a very short time when you can take it - lets say two or max. three months - with current level of offers more or less unchanged.
This is simple to set, more or less fair to both current as perspective subscribers (as it's not "tricking" anyone by pretending it's better than it actually is) and frankly can result in the same or maybe even higher take up as the previous scenario.
3. The offer will be open for a fairly long time when you can take it - lets say six months to up to end of this year, maybe even longer - with current level of offers unchanged.
Again - simple to set, more or less fair to both current as perspective subscribers and by giving more time to pick your own time when to use the free month based on the offers would most probably result in a bit higher take up than the previous scenario.
4. The offer will be limited to one month only and will start automatically the first day PSN will come back and most probably expire before even Store will be up and running again so you'll be not able to get any free or discounted content whatsoever.
[This is a JOKE but as said above, you better know...
Cloud saves and voice crosschat can justify the cost to me for this kind of "rental lottery"
Cloud saves and voice crosschat can't
justify the cost to me for this kind of "rental lottery" (was to late to edit it after posting)