Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Well the reality is after attacks like these the hackers are rarely caught and the general mo is not to use the info yourself but to slice it up into sellable chunks and distribute it for profit but also blackmail (easily the top option and you'd be worried by how often this happens and gets dealt with quietly) or (as in the case of anonymous) the info would have been publicly posted to shame the company involved.

Unfortunately in this case it looks like the first option after blackmail failed.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    they can confirm that all your data was stolen except the credit card info although that information was most likely sitting right next to your personal data on there server. sony a 5 year old can lie better..

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicvuedoo View Post
    Bah. All I have to say to all this hoopla is this: Its free, you get what you pay for and in all honesty, any time that you store data online, its like walking out of a bar alone at night in the inner city of any major city by yourself, drunk.

All of you gamers who play online. Remember these events. As sure as God made liitle green apples two things will come of suing Sony over this: 1) Online gamers are going to have to start paying to play online; 2) Those same gamers are going to complain that PSN used to be free, why is Sony charging for what it used to offer for free.

Your data wont be any safer, game play wont be any better, and your connection is not going to get and better BUT you are going to have to pay for it because they lost money over something that was beyond their control.

My fanal word? Stop blaming Sony and start blaming the people that broke into PSN database and stole the data. People who blame Sony are akin to people who says that the reason why women get attacked is because they ask for it by dressing, acting, or suggesting something that was not the attacker to take to begin with.
    That's not reassuring considering that being atheist means god did not create any green apples, but rather they evolved into apples over time. In this case, Sony should evolve over time and start doing shit the proper way, and legislation should evolve to make sure corporations like Sony cannot half-ass protecting your personal information again.

And yes, the crackers are to blame, but in all honesty, not as much as Sony are. Sony are a multi-billion dollar corporation, and should have known better than to as someone so kindly put it, "leave all the windows open and doors unlocked." If you think they're less guilty than the crackers, then you sir have a mindset that scares me.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by daveshooter View Post
    I don't believe this Hacker is alone and is more likely to come from higher places than the everyday Jo, and I would be shocked if any members of the public suffer from ID theft because of this hacker, because this is not what its all about making money or hurting the public from the hackers point of view, its to show the public how Sony operate, like Someone did weeks ago flagging this up about plain text data.
    You assume the hacker is a white hat, but there have already been a few members here who claim fraud on their CC accounts and one reputable member claiming that an email account associated with the PSN was compromised and used to send out spam and other crap (he used the same PW on his PSN account as he did the email).

Just these few things I have read here indicate this was not the work of a white hat trying to show everybody Sony's incompetence, it was a black hat hoping to use all the stolen data for their own malicious intent.
    If your data is in the wrong hands, then the wrong hands are Sony, because they will us your Id and take your money, and blame the hackers.
    This is a joke right? Pretty tall conspiracy order you have there, and quite ridiculous at that since they could have taken our info anytime they wanted without a 'fake' breach.

if there is a hacker that is, and not Sony creaming your accounts to cover their losses over there at the moment.
    Even if there was no breach and the supposed $1.5 billion dollars they have spent thus far to get everything repaired and investigated was all-made up, I seriously doubt they would do this to themselves, as the incident hurts Sony more than anybody else.

Their stocks are taking a massive plunge, probably hundreds of thousands of customers are considering never buying anything PlayStation related again, then there is all the lost revenue they would have normally made if the PSN was up and running where people are buying DLC and other purchases... not to mention all the potential lawsuits that will arise over this.

Yeah this was the work of Sony alright, the massive plot to screw themselves over and lose the trust of millions of customers and anybody else who has read or seen this on the news, lol.

You guys act like Sony didn't have any security in place on their servers at all. I'm sure that they did have some security, and it was most likely pretty good. But there is absolutely no security that is impenetrable. No matter how good your security is, it can always be bypassed if the hacker is smart enough, and determined enough to. A human, or group of humans wrote the security and no human is perfect, so it will have some opening some where.

There is also no hard proof as of yet that credit card information was stolen. Sony never said that it was, but they aren't sure, and if they don't know they aren't going to say that there wasn't if there really was as that would get them into a lot of trouble.

Also the PSN has been down for over a week now. If Sony had no security in place, no nothing, why has it not been put back up yet? If there was no security, Sony wouldn't have to fix anything and could just put the servers back up now.

Have you not read anything? Yes, they had security, but all of your personal info was sent in plain text, unencrypted. And yes, no security is unbreachable, but certain securities are just not worth breaching, as brute forcing (i know this is not the only method) them would take billions of years, even with all our computing power. The fact is, they screwed up by not properly encrypting the info as it was transferred between consoles and servers, end of story.

As to your post about PSN and it's security, are you high? It hasn't been put back up because they screwed up big time, and now even governments agencies are investigating them. They stated they are rebuilding the PSN, meaning, since they screwed up, now they have to secure it the RIGHT WAY. You honestly made no sense by stating that.

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by computers6 View Post
    You guys act like Sony didn't have any security in place on their servers at all. I'm sure that they did have some security, and it was most likely pretty good. But there is absolutely no security that is impenetrable. No matter how good your security is, it can always be bypassed if the hacker is smart enough, and determined enough to. A human, or group of humans wrote the security and no human is perfect, so it will have some opening some where.

There is also no hard proof as of yet that credit card information was stolen. Sony never said that it was, but they aren't sure, and if they don't know they aren't going to say that there wasn't if there really was as that would get them into a lot of trouble.

Also the PSN has been down for over a week now. If Sony had no security in place, no nothing, why has it not been put back up yet? If there was no security, Sony wouldn't have to fix anything and could just put the servers back up now.
    what?

Stay tuned when our services back you will see an message like on Xbox 360 " You be banned because violations of term of... " Just Wait for anything like this...

And more.. GEOHOT will earn much more cash from Sony by all your support in these last challenge to recovery PSN Back...

Just an Rumor... i suppose...

XStationBR...
    Last edited by xstationbr; 04-29-2011 at 10:17 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

to keep you informed i read in my local paper today.."the courier mail" in brisbane , australia the police are investigating several cases of cc fraud due to sonys breach.."adelaide police are investigating a case where $2000 was stolen from one mans account"

be careful people.. while who knows if whats been reported is true its extremely annoying that sony hasnt updated us further on this issue as im sure they must know heaps more by now..

so yeah... if this is true and cc info has been stolen and is usable, or not encrypted,id love to see everyone take all there sony products back to where they purchased them for a full refund. i know its not going to happen... anyway i will be regretfully getting rid of my 1000s of dollars of sony "junk". i will be switching to pc gaming if sony doesn't rectify this with its customers.

Quote Originally Posted by xstationbr View Post
    And more.. GEOHOT will earn much more cash from Sony by all your support in these last challenge to recovery PSN Back...
    how does geohot earn cash from this..
    Last edited by elser1; 04-30-2011 at 02:07 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thumbs Down

I never received one damn email from Sony about this "breech". Had I not been paying attention to the news, I would have not known.

Sponsored Links
Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News