Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Sony Confirms PS3 Firmware 2.70 Update Details, Coming Soon!

Sponsored Links
    Today PlayStation Network Operations Director Eric Lempel has confirmed PS3 Firmware Update 2.70 details, and mentions its coming soon via PS Blog:

Hi everyone, we're adding some great new features with the next PS3 firmware update (v2.70) that will continue to enhance your connected experience on the PS3. The 2.70 update brings a new Text Chat feature that enables you to communicate online with your PlayStation Network friends.

Now, you'll be able to chat with up to 15 online friends using the Wireless Keypad, on-screen keyboard, or other compatible keyboard peripherals. Not only can you chat with your friends instantly, but you can also access Text Chat while playing PS3 games and even participate in up to three chat rooms at once.

For a quick preview of Text Chat and some of the other 2.70 features, check out this video:

In addition to Text Chat, we've added a few more enhancements:

Friends list on the XMB (XrossMediaBar)

- Sort your friends via their online status
    - Attach larger files to the messages you send to your friends (file size will increase from 1MB to 3MB)

Video delivery service on PlayStation Store

- Video files you've purchased from the PlayStation Store can be backed up to an external storage device and then restored to PS3's internal hard drive for playback - so you can clear up space on your hard drive and then restore the video anytime in the future
    - Videos you've purchased for PSP (PlayStation Portable) system can now be transferred to PS3 for playback

The 2.70 update will be released soon, and as always, we look forward to reading your feedback.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    OK, that's great, I'm sure this will be useful to some users...

But, where in the world is cross in-game voice chat?! This is where the money is at! (Or, so to speak since PSN is free.)

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    If that's all the firmware update is going to include then I'm disappointed. The chat rooms just make it easier to have to multiple users staying in contact contact easier, but it's still no different then just sending individual messages. I was really hoping for in-game browser access which would be nice, as games can already do it, but I want to be able to just bring it up from in-game XMB.

Quote Originally Posted by SNaHHaN View Post
    OK, that's great, I'm sure this will be useful to some users...

But, where in the world is cross in-game voice chat?! This is where the money is at! (Or, so to speak since PSN is free.)
    THERE IS IN-GAME VOICE CHAT, READ THE DESCRIPTION!! " Not only can you chat with your friends instantly, but you can also access Text Chat while playing PS3 games and even participate in up to three chat rooms at once."

HAPPY!!??

Quote Originally Posted by 324110493 View Post
    THERE IS IN-GAME VOICE CHAT, READ THE DESCRIPTION!! " Not only can you chat with your friends instantly, but you can also access Text Chat while playing PS3 games and even participate in up to three chat rooms at once."

HAPPY!!??
    Hate to bust your bubble, but chat rooms refers to the chat rooms for the text chat, not voice chat.
    Last edited by sekemc; 04-01-2009 at 10:27 PM

Quote Originally Posted by 324110493 View Post

HAPPY!!??
    What are you smoking? That only applies to the text chatting.

There is no mention of cross in-game voice chat.

And if you tell me that the 'voice chat' option in the video is that, then you will likely be wrong because this is just the option to join a "video chat room", which isn't what I was talking about at all, either.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by sekemc View Post
    ......it's still no different then just sending individual messages.......
    To me it sounds more "live" then the send message feature.. so i kinda look forward to it

And there will probable be some other features not mentioned...sure makes me wish someone would have grabbed the early release of 2.70 to compare but who knows maybe the just changed the update.txt and never put the updat.pup live

guess we may never know

*****wow 3 new replies before i got mine in,. LOL*******
    guess this is a hot topic!
    Last edited by idone; 04-01-2009 at 10:35 PM

i'm so disappointed in this update.. :-( it seems like something is missing from it.. maybe they haven't given us the complete list of features - either that or this is a crap update..

Quote Originally Posted by idone View Post
    guess this is a hot topic!
    Yep indeed... I've got both the US and EU Firmware open and ready for the release, if I had to guess it should be here in the next 2 hours or so (based on past Sony PS3 FW announcements and the release timeframe).

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    Yep indeed... I've got both the US and EU Firmware open and ready for the release, if I had to guess it should be here in the next 2 hours or so (based on past Sony PS3 FW announcements and the release timeframe).
    And, when the new firmware update comes, it will be a great check to see if there are any issues with both Auto-Update Firmware Downloaders.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News