Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sony CES: 3D Games And Movies Coming to PS3 in 2010

Sponsored Links
    SCEE's Social Media Manager Jem Alexander has confirmed today on the European PlayStation Blog, as part of Sony's CES announcement, that 3D games and movies are coming to the PS3 in 2010.

To quote: Among all the technology announcements you would come to expect from the [Register or Login to view links] in Las Vegas (such as new 3D Bravia TVs coming this Summer), Kaz Hirai announced that the PS3 will be fully 3D compatible this year.

There will be two firmware updates at some point in 2010 - the first will add 3D Stereoscopic Gaming functionality to the PS3 and the second will add 3D Stereoscopic Movie functionality. We'll be announcing more details regarding 3D Gaming as we get further into 2010 and, as usual, you'll see a lot of this here on the PlayStation.Blog.

Kaz also revealed that 2009 housed the most successful holiday season in the history of the PlayStation 3, with over 3.8 million units selling worldwide over the last 5 weeks of the year. European movie fans will also be glad to hear that the Video Download Service will be expanded to more territories throughout the year, too.

Finally, the PlayStation Network has been adopted as the central online service for many Sony products, which means you will eventually be using the same login on your PlayStation 3 as your Bravia TV, VAIO laptop or other Blu-ray player.

What does this mean? We'll have more details in the future, but one cool benefit we can highlight is using the same virtual wallet across all of our services, on all of our platforms.

This is just the start of what should be another great year for PlayStation - we've got lots more stuff to announce throughout 2010, so keep checking the PlayStation.Blog regularly.

Sony CES: 3D Games And Movies Coming to PS3 in 2010

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

I want to believe

Sponsored Links
    All that chat you hear about 3D-Gaming... I've been listening and waiting since years now. I still don't believe we're gonna see serious 3D-Gaming on PS3 this year.

There are no standards and Sony brews it's own little 3D-standard. I wonder how all of this is gonna end up.
    Last edited by Shrink; 01-07-2010 at 10:55 AM Reason: typo

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Fortunately, you're wrong

In my opinion I think sony will get a 3-D standard in place and run with it.

They will come out with more 3d games and movies this year. They may even implement it into television. The possibilities are endless where they can go. LCD and now the new LED tech is here. We will see even more things as time goes on I'm sure.

Just watch, listen and wait. Eventually it may be a optional where you can experience nearly everything in 3d or 2d viewing. It will be like you are there. Like the virtual reality that has been talked about for years. 3D is nothing new but now we have new technology to work with and I bet we will start seeing some fascinating stuff come from Sony.

So other than a PS3 update, what about TV compatibility? I keep hearing conflicting things. 60Hz vs 120Hz, etc

It will only work with 120Hz or 600Hz.

I wound up getting a samsung plasma last year with 600Hz just for when 3d hits big. even though right now I can buy hardware to force all tv/games into 3d its just a little too costly, but if i want to go with 3d through the pc its about $300 and its only good when you connect your pc to the vga port. So unless I want to stream my tv and all my other devices through the pc its pointless to me for now.

Hopefully once sony update the firmware on the ps3 it will be a different story, but I cant wait to see what type of glasses we have to use... I doubt well be able tojust use the polarized glasses like the ones from the theaters (Real D) more likely we will have to buy active polarized glasses with all the hardware and Im sure they will charge $200-300 for it.

3D may seem impossible or too expensive , but every new technology was very expensive at the beginning.

I can't wait to play my PS3 games in 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by evilsperm View Post
    It will only work with 120Hz or 600Hz.

I wound up getting a samsung plasma last year with 600Hz just for when 3d hits big. even though right now I can buy hardware to force all tv/games into 3d its just a little too costly, but if i want to go with 3d through the pc its about $300 and its only good when you connect your pc to the vga port. So unless I want to stream my tv and all my other devices through the pc its pointless to me for now.

Hopefully once sony update the firmware on the ps3 it will be a different story, but I cant wait to see what type of glasses we have to use... I doubt well be able tojust use the polarized glasses like the ones from the theaters (Real D) more likely we will have to buy active polarized glasses with all the hardware and Im sure they will charge $200-300 for it.
    Unfortantely there is a lot of misunderstanding about plasmas. "Sub-field drives" for plasmas vary manufacturer to manufacturer. (tvlampsnbulbs.com/2009/03/what-does-600hz-subfield-motion-mean/)

For each frame displayed on the TV the Sub-field drive flashes the dots 10 times or more, meaning that the dots are flashing 600 times per second (600Hz) or more." For whatever reason they don't seem to be able to 3D with the newer polarization techniques. Here's a list i found: 3dmovielist.com/3dhdtvs.html

I just bought a Panasonic G10 today. I hope 3D takes off but don't at the same time.

For a long time yet there will always be 2d/3d versions on blu-ray to watch so I wouldnt worry about your G10 yet.

I am searching for a new LCD tv. Our youngest kiddo smashed our RCA which was only 60 Hz anyway. *I guess he thought he was doing us a favor.

So at CES Sony rolls out "the first 3d compatible Bravia's"

I'm confused about this because if 3D will be available to those TV sets which are 120Hz (and up) sets. What's up with the Bravia's that have 120Hz (and up) are they not compatible? Or are they just trying to sell them a new TV with the "the first 3d compatible Bravia" as a selling point?

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News