Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Sony CEO Jack Tretton: PS4 Only When Technology Exceeds PS3

Sponsored Links
    During a recent 'Year of the PlayStation 3' interview with [Register or Login to view links], Sony's CEO Jack Tretton stated that PS4 will only come when technology exceeds the PS3.

To quote: What of the successor to the PlayStation 3, the PS4?

Jack Tretton doesn't seem to know, telling Fast Company that he "can't even imagine what can be done technically beyond the PlayStation 3 in the near future."

Tretton continued to reiterate the same "ten year" message - the proposed shelf life of the PS3 - that the Sony team has followed since even before the launch of the system. With 2010 marking the fourth year of the PS3's life cycle, it seems increasingly likely that Sony will stick to that goal.

Of course, that's not to say the "PS4" won't ever be realized. We'll see the PS4 "when somebody can craft the technology that exceeds what we're able to do on the PS3," Tretton offered, adding "we are still just starting to harness [the PS3].

JoyStiq (linked above) also shared a cool YouTube PlayStation 9 mock-up video, check it out below!

Sony CEO Jack Tretton: PS4 Only When Technology Exceeds PS3

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    Of course, that's not to say the "PS4" won't ever be realized. We'll see the PS4 "when somebody can craft the technology that exceeds what we're able to do on the PS3," Tretton offered, adding "we are still just starting to harness [the PS3]
    My feeling is that the technology already exists. The consoles just need a upgraded video processor and some increased ram. The processor is good enough with some tweaking for future consoles but having more ram and a beefed up graphics processor would make large difference.

I'm a visuals guy, I'm not into the whole wand/interactive stuff. That being said, I'm not buying the whole 3D revolution thing. Push the graphics to the max and get as real as you can go, then worry about 3D. Put a GTX 480 w/DX11 or OpenGL hardware tessellation and 1gb of dedicated vram and 1gb of dedicated system ram. Then were talking hardcore gaming.

The only 3D stuff that caught my eye was in Vegas back in the early 90's as a kid. Some weird western cowboy story/game with live action where you make the choices that determine the characters actions. That was impressive, no glasses needed for those 3D effects, but it might have been more along the lines of hologram style 3D.

Back on track though, I think Sony is aiming for maximum market penetration before rolling out a new console. As well, developers are still getting better at using what is out there so the hardware can still be pushed.

In summary ...

technology exceeding current offerings? Yes
    new consoles in R&D? Probably
    when will they be released? When market penetration meets Sony's targets

The Vegas game I'm referring to is called "Time Traveler"*
    [Register or Login to view links]

Last edited by red8316; 02-27-2010 at 03:06 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I remember playing that game in the arcades years ago HEHE... it definitely was ahead of its time.

man that thing would be awesome ^^ ultimate gameplay

i can think of a guy standing in his room and jumping and punching into air and then the mother comes in and ask what the hell are you doing ? nothing mom

But its good that it wont come a ps4 too fast cause of some games like kingdom hearts 3 i don't wanna buy a new console just for that game

the cpu of the ps3 is a head of it's time! i mean my god the ps3 was released in 2006 and until now we don't have a 6-core processor in the pc market.

but really they should focus on upgrading the gpu like the first commenter said, i mean they picked a future cpu for their console and they settled for an outdated gpu the rsx=7800gt 7800 in that time wasn't even the top end card from nvidia.

man screw the gpu and cpu .. for god sake's sony ... give a man some ram, so we can RAM it to the competition ... i dunno why these guys always slack in that memory department.

and i'll be eternally greatful for a 3.5" hard disk instead of the 2.5" ... nothing like thorwing in 2TB

and i would hope they make final fantasy 7 remake on ps4, along with kingdom hears ... it would be just so jaw dropping ...and 60fps 1080p

That guy is a comedian, he says that as if we don't know the PS3's hardware is completely obsolete compared to any modern hardware and has been for years. It has essentially a GeForce 7800 GTX and a 3GHz Cell. That makes the GPU alone 4 generations old as of march.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Cyrus View Post
    That guy is a comedian, he says that as if we don't know the PS3's hardware is completely obsolete compared to any modern hardware and has been for years. It has essentially a GeForce 7800 GTX and a 3GHz Cell. That makes the GPU alone 4 generations old as of march.
    ROFLMAO... brilliant .. just brilliant.

man jack must think we're new to this... typical CEO, tho hes doing his job right, right ??

as it has been stated, the ps3 doesn't need a dedicated gpu. the cell is more than capable enough to do all the graphic processing as well as the collision detection and core mechanic processing. the gpu was added to make it easier for developers to "migrate" to the new cpu architecture as programming for the cell is a lot different than programming for the "standard" x86 architecture chips that are in most computers. hell, even uncharted 2 only uses the rsx for physics calculations, all the graphic processing is done on/by the cell.

i am all for pushing the technology envelope and seeing how far we can go. however, bumping up the picture quality with a geforce gtx 999 with 4tb of ram (fictitious obviously) is not really pushing the envelope. all that does is make things look "prettier." the cell was ahead of it's time when it was released, and using the same processor in the ps4 would not push any envelopes. i for one would like to see real life physics applied to every single object in a game.

for instance, if you shoot a rocket launcher at a building i would like to see every single brick react based on the forces directly affecting them. so every time you shoot it with a rocket launcher the bricks would react in a slightly different way because your position would change, if ever so slightly, and that would cause the forces on the bricks to change as well. we are starting to see more real physics in games, however at this point they only apply to certain parts/aspects of the game.

red dead redemption is a game coming out that uses almost real bullet physics to make you opponents react based on where they are hit. unlike most other shooting games like mw2 where you can kill someone by shooting them in the toe. i want to see events and actions that are not scripted and not "pre-animated," rather i would like to see everyone have a different experience when they play the same game because all the game objects/elements would react based on how/where/when the player affected them.

i have also read in a few places where sony is working on a different kind of processor for the next game system. a processor that will be a hybrid of the cell we now know and "traditional" multicore processors. they want to lower the learning curve so it won't take developers as long to produce aaa masterpieces.

one more thing, the ps4 better support ps1, ps2, and ps3 discs or it won't be a definite buy for me. the b/c is one of the main features that attracted me to the ps3 and away from the 360.

I am just glad to hear that they aren't going to phase the ps3 out for at least the next 4-5 years. It would be a disappointment as i just only got my ps3 for slight over 6 month and would definitely not want to start worry about a ps4.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News