Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Sony CEO Howard Stringer: PS3 Hackers Haven't Held Us Back

Sponsored Links
    Today The Street (linked above) has interviewed Sony CEO Sir Howard Stringer, who states that PS3 hackers have not held them back despite numerous PlayStation Network disruptions over the last year.

He believes that they were the victim of a sophisticated vendetta orchestrated by elements within the hacking community, stating it was a revenge attack, due to them going after a PS3 hacker who exploited the PlayStation 3 console. Below is an excerpt from the interview, to quote:

NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Sony (SNE) has bounced back from a wave of hacking attacks on its PlayStation business earlier this year, according to CEO Sir Howard Stringer, who says that digital assaults are an occupational hazard for major firms.

“The press was on us for four days until somebody else got hacked and everyone realized that hacking is a fact of life,” he said, during a briefing event organized by The Wall Street Journal. “We took it on the chin over and over again - the problem that we have is that we were alone out there, so nobody had anything else to write about that month.”

Sony’s security travails certainly grabbed plenty of headlines. In May, the company confirmed that it was the victim of a massive denial-of-service attack, likely timed to coincide with the hacking of its PlayStation Network. Sony subsequently warned its 77 million users that their private account details, such as passwords, addresses and credit cards, may have been compromised after the network was infiltrated by the unknown hacker.

The Japanese tech giant was even forced to pull the PlayStation Network down while it dealt with the hacking attack, although the service was fully restored in early June.

Not that customers have taken their frustration out on Sony, according to Stringer. “They came back - they were not angry with us,” said Stringer. “They were upset that they had lost their ability to connect to their favorite service.”

The PlayStation network, he added, now has approximately 90 million users.

Stringer also reiterated the company’s belief that Sony was the victim of a sophisticated vendetta orchestrated by elements within the hacking community.

“The target opportunity was a revenge attack, initially - it was because we went after a hacker who hacked PlayStation,” he said. “PlayStation is vital to us, and so we were afraid that it would essentially destroy a PlayStation.”

The CEO explained that Sony has significantly bolstered its security defenses in the aftermath of the hacking attacks. “We have done a lot to stop that,” he said. “We have brought in a lot of forensic studies - we have brought in executives, that you have read about in the papers, that are dealing with this constantly.”

Egohot, no doubt.

Sony CEO Howard Stringer: PS3 Hackers Haven't Held Us Back

More PlayStation 3 News...
    Last edited by chr15m; 11-10-2011 at 06:20 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links

Thumbs Up

Sponsored Links
    Thanks for the news chr15m, I have moved it to the main page now and +Rep!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    chr15m is the local PS3 journalist. And the fastest.

+Rep man.

just made my 1111th post on 11.11.11 at 11:11 am, was gonna give bf3 away to someone but my mrs went sick.. LOL

i have an extra copy oh well... like they're not worried about hackers.. why all the millions of dollars wasted on upgrades etc.. i smell bs.
    good post chr15m

I was wondering why you weren't posting

Also 11/11/11 at 11:00 A.M was that minute silence thing for remembrance day.

Well, I think the numbers out there put only a small dent in their global strategy. Although the PSN thing was kind of ridiculous.

elser, still got a copy to give away?

I guess things will "cool down" for awhile...

Can you imagine, since the first PS3 debut until current official firmware (3.72) we still can't play .mkv video on PS3 (O_O)

Like elser1 say "why all the millions of dollars wasted on upgrade" if there is no improvement on the inside (-_-)

I think I will give a red mark on that line ^^

ahhh, probably will

yeah had to hold myself back lol.. yep and +rep for rem day mate.. lets remember all those who died and where injured so we can play ps3, and have a great free life.. respect!!

Banned User
    I am pretty ticked at Sony for not properly securing their network, mainly because my brand new email that I PAY FOR was released and now is receiving spam because those Sony douchbags refused to admit their network was anything but perfect. I take major strides to protect my primary email, and to have it out in the wild now for any spamming retard to get his hands on really pisses me off.

A lot of amateurs must have acquired the list of emails though, as most of them can be traced back to local US based ISP's like Comcast or Verizon, I absolutely love reporting these dummies because I know they get caught and cut-off from their ridiculous spam efforts.

And as for the spam... who the heck falls for this stuff? I mean seriously, somebody would have to be pretty damn stupid to think they obtained some huge amount of money from the Nigerian consulate and that they need to give up all their personal info and CC details in order to get this 'reward'. I swear anybody who would think that is legit needs to be banned from the net and punched a few dozen times.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News