Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Sony Adds Incremental Update Version PS3 Patch PUP Updates

Sponsored Links
    Along with the PS3 Firmware 3.41 update, today Sony implemented Incremental Update Version PS3 patch PUP updates, with the less bulky PlayStation 3 update files named appropriately as "PS3PATCH.PUP."

As detailed by randalf HERE, CJPC HERE, and Examiner.com (linked below), the new [Register or Login to view links] are approximately 40MB in size in comparison to [Register or Login to view links] 160MB+ PS3 Firmware update files and only update required dev_flash files, along with the core OS, revoke lists and syscon updates.

The benefit is simple: Both Sony's servers and customers save bandwidth and time downloading required PS3 update files along with aiding PSN Plus subscribers who utilize auto-updating.

To quote from [Register or Login to view links]: "Previously, all firmware updates were incremental and they built off each other since the original firmware, but Sony has revised that concept and firmware updates will now only download what is needed from the latest firmware opposed to downloading the entire firmware.

Firmware 3.41 only needed around 40MB of information, so the system only downloaded that much, opposed to 200MB of additional information from previous firmwares.

This will allow for smaller updates, faster downloads, and PlayStation Plus subscribers an easier time with auto-downloads."

Sony Adds Incremental Update Version PS3 Patch PUP Updates

More PlayStation 3 News...

Banned User
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Oh, so $ony will have more control over us hackers so they can patch the exploits we find quicker.

So will there be big firmware updates or just the small ones? What happens if you need to reflash the firmware then? I guess we will be SOL from now on... (I had to reflash my firmware to fix the sound problem I had with FW315).

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    This will also IMO decrease the chances of installing CFW as the whole firmware will be from now on rarely installed ...

Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaHomer View Post
    This will also IMO decrease the chances of installing CFW as the whole firmware will be from now on rarely installed ...
    I don't think so. It's like the windows update.. but if too much sh!t accumulated, they will/should release 'service packs' (complete fw with integrated updates). Just think of: if you followed the incremental, only few10 megs dl-ed at once, you're fine. BUT if you not updated a say last 10 incremental.. it will be a pain to dl, install, reboot after each one.
    And also, CFWs don't have to follow the versions so tightly!

If you download the update from the playstation site it is still 167MB. So is the incremental update available only for updating from the ps3 system?

Quote Originally Posted by Jes03 View Post
    Oh, so $ony will have more control over us hackers so they can patch the exploits we find quicker.

So will there be big firmware updates or just the small ones? What happens if you need to reflash the firmware then? I guess we will be SOL from now on... (I had to reflash my firmware to fix the sound problem I had with FW315).
    Ok i thought the opposite (granted im no coder or programer, or hacker), but i figured the fact that they are no longer doing full updates and simply adding the new files rather than overwriting the entire firmware, they would not patch the old files simply add the new ones giving the community more time to work on an exploit before sony patches the old files in the system. But that's just a theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Jes03 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mukumuku View Post
    If you download the update from the playstation site it is still 167MB. So is the incremental update available only for updating from the ps3 system?
    Yeah- both will still be available. If you look at the newest update:

[Register or Login to view code]

The Update version "0000ace5" is the same version as 3.40, as shown below:

[Register or Login to view code]

So, the PS3 will detect if you have the version in which it has the patch for, if so - only download the patch. However, if you don't, it will download the full file.

this reminds me of what DAX did with the psp cfw. If i remember right, his flasher would sometimes only flash a few files instead of a complete firmware.

I think the biggest reason for sony is bandwidth.. If they can 1/2 or even slice the patch to 1/4th, it saves them a lot LOT of bandwidth, which means less costs...

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDre View Post
    I think the biggest reason for sony is bandwidth.. If they can 1/2 or even slice the patch to 1/4th, it saves them a lot LOT of bandwidth, which means less costs...
    Just like my mother used to always say!

"A Penny Saved Is A Penny Earned"

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News