Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Sony Adds Cinavia DRM Protection in as Automatic PS3 Download

Sponsored Links
    A few months back Sony updated their new Terms of Service to include "automatic updates or upgrades which may change your current operating system, cause a loss of data or content or cause a loss of functionalities or utilities" and with the recent PS3 Firmware 3.41 it appears Sony has added in [Register or Login to view links] as an automatic PS3 download.

For those unaware, Cinavia DRM technology is an audio watermarking technology that takes aim at pirates, and those trying to playback movie downloads via their PlayStation 3 consoles, and is part of the content protection system included in Blu-ray Disc players.

According to the official site, the watermarking works by "comparing the source of the audio to the format in which a movie was released (ie theatrical or commercial disc), and if the watermarked audio source detects a difference, the movie will either be mute (but most likely not play at all)."

To quote on a temporary 'fix' from alexsaeed8 via YouTube:

Recently PS3 has come out with this new update that automatically downloads and installs this program called "Cinavia" which protects against piracy movies by analyzing the sound of the movie that is playing and compares that to the original version to see if it matches and based on that it will allow or doesn't allow the PS3 or BRDvd players to play the movie.

You will get 2 most common messages:

1: It will say it can't play the movie because of a copyright violation.

2: It will say the audio for this movie has been mute and it won't play any more sound, just the picture, it all depends.

So based on this information I have made a short video of how I have been watching movies on my ps3 and by passing the cinavia technology.

The only way I been able to watch movies is to speed it up by x1.5 or higher Cinavia can't pick up the sound at that speed, and it's not so bad once you get use to it.. at least for now until someone come out with another solution."

Sony Adds Cinavia DRM Protection in as Automatic PS3 Download

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Exclamation

Sponsored Links
    this is horrible!

And does this come pre installed with 3.41, or will it download when I turn on my PS3 next?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    From what I understand, it is a separate download from the PS3 3.41 Firmware update and those who have their PS3 set-up with automatic updates enabled will receive it.

Those who don't, may be able to opt out/not download it... if anyone can confirm that would be helpful, and I will +Rep ya! My PS3 is on v1.10 Firmware and stays offline, so I can't say my PS3 will ever see this.

This is not an automatic download, apparently it's been sneaking around since 3.10:

[Register or Login to view links]

Banned User
    That DRM has already been in there for ages now. It's not new.

If that's the case, this is the first I've heard of it... I guess if I pirated movies I would have seen it before, eh?

Hell, I don't even have time to watch movies let alone try to download one and play it on the PS3.

The odd thing is... the guy who made the YouTube video said "Recently PS3 has come out with this new update that automatically downloads and installs this program called "Cinavia" which protects against piracy movies" but Wikipedia says it was first introduced in the 3.10 update.

Also according to Wikipedia, Cinavia was first added/mentioned just a few days back in the PS3 Copyright and Trademark notices here: [Register or Login to view links].

At least those who do pirate movies and play them on the PS3 now have a "fix" they can use until a better work-around is found.

Angry

I really don't understand why I have to do a WAR for put a backup or a copy of a movie inside a PS3... this system really start to boring me at all and I'm not so surprising if is still the system with less selling in the world (part japan where gone well of XBOX 360).

not some good update, when they came so quickly is always for anti piracy purpose and for delete good feature.

really boring and THIS MAKE ME REALLY REALLY ANGREE probably if not unlocked soon I'll sell my PS3 entertainment system BORN GREAT (unless was 3.00) but in the hand of the jackal ($ony) is becaming dangerous also for my health.

Question

Is this for files only or for burned discs as well? I have been watching BDR, BDRE, BDRE DL, DVD+R, and DVD-R with no problems.

Pretty soon its going to reach a point to where you can't do anything with it as if it was a cheap dvd player. If thats the case it going to end up in storage collecting dust just like all those dvd players sitting in peoples garages. You know you have one of those!!

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by urmother1992 View Post
    This is not an automatic download, apparently it's been sneaking around since 3.10:

[Register or Login to view links]
    I'm about to get a 60GB soon. When I do I will only be updating it to a firmware under 3.10 if this is when that DRM was introduced. I thought 3.15 was the best as its the last with OtherOS but it looks like whatever was before 3.10 is actually better.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News