Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

PS3 Square Button Sony adding mouse and keyboard support

Sponsored Links
    Sony’s adding a keyboard and mouse to the PS3, eh?
    Posted Sep 1, 2005, 12:50 PM ET by Ryan Block
    Related entries: Gaming, Peripherals

No, it wouldn’t be the first time a game console’s had a keyboard and mouse (remember Mario paint?), but with first-person shooters becoming ever more popular in the livingroom and hi-def output on the next generation of gaming systems, would it be far fetched for the PlayStation 3 to take on a keyboard and mouse? Apparently not, since Sony revealed at a game dev’s conference that you’ll be able to play games like Unreal Tournament 2007 with wasd/pointer-style, something that could pose a real risk to the casual PC gamer market. But the real question at hand is: will these peripherals be PlayStation 3 authorized only, or are we finally going to be able to just rock any old keyboard and mouse on those integrated USB ports so long as the game supports it?

[Register or Login to view links]

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I don't like it. I think that keyboard and mouse are meant for navigating and typing. They weren't meant for gaming. The people who like them/are good with them are only so because they have logged in ungodly hours dealing with them.

Theoretically they could make games only for keyboard mouse (like pc) and it would be the death of console gaming. M$ saw this and thats why 360 deliberatly lacks support. Sony is only doing this to try and one up M$ and I hope it blows up in their faces. Somehow.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Yea, i think it will hit a market that is untapped in the console market, some pc gamers "might" buy a console if there was keyboard/mouse support to get their minority support.

I don't know Kraken. There have been many games that support mouse, keyboard and/or controller. I know I have plenty of games like that on my Dreamcast. I personally cannot stand the keyboard thing which is probably why I stayed away from many FPS on the PC, but I did try out Halo and it did give me the option of using my PS2 controller which was a plus.

Fact is there's been debate for many years on which gamers get the full experience and we got diehards on both ends of the spectrum. Man I know guys that rather play MK against me with a keyboard...don't ask me why but hey, It works for them and they aren’t half bad.

In all honesty the future, in my eyes, means more options. If they want to atract more folks with this move I say go for It...as long as there is no crazy "KEYBOARD AND MOUSE ONLY" shait going on it shouldn't effect any of us @ all. Really it's a better idea than the casual gamer
    Jane Doe building me a skatepark for purchase . GAWD that slays me . I'm sure we'll be fine man, we'll just have to wait it out and see how it goes.

i like this just dont know how it can really emulate the vast pc feel, im optimistic about it tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken
    I don't like it. I think that keyboard and mouse are meant for navigating and typing. They weren't meant for gaming. The people who like them/are good with them are only so because they have logged in ungodly hours dealing with them.

Theoretically they could make games only for keyboard mouse (like pc) and it would be the death of console gaming. M$ saw this and thats why 360 deliberatly lacks support. Sony is only doing this to try and one up M$ and I hope it blows up in their faces. Somehow.
    Ill Disagree. I just personally can not stand playing shooter's with a controller. They are not near as accurate as using a mouse, and there are not as many option's you can use as if you had a keyboard in front of you. Just my 2 cents.

This is a great idea. I'm really glad they're instituting this. I started a thread back around E3 about this, but there was no news about it then. The mouse is so much more accurate than a control stick, and I've spent alot of time on both. I would love to use a controllers analogue stick input for strafing and forward movement combined with a mouse for aiming. I'm glad and all, but wouldn't it be better if they tried to create something new and more accurate than just instituting something SNES and Genesis and Dreamcast have allowed in the past.

PS: UT for PS2 allowed usb keyboard/mouse support also. So did Q3 revolution I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by t3m3st
    This is a great idea. I'm really glad they're instituting this. I started a thread back around E3 about this, but there was no news about it then. The mouse is so much more accurate than a control stick, and I've spent alot of time on both. I would love to use a controllers analogue stick input for strafing and forward movement combined with a mouse for aiming. I'm glad and all, but wouldn't it be better if they tried to create something new and more accurate than just instituting something SNES and Genesis and Dreamcast have allowed in the past.

PS: UT for PS2 allowed usb keyboard/mouse support also. So did Q3 revolution I believe.
    Wow, you're right they did do that with that game... Is this the only game for PS2 that supports it?

Half Life, I'm guessing, also used USB. UT2K7 will be much more high-profile than UT was on PS2. Hopefully the feature will be used and liked by many gamers, and the feature will make it's way into all the other FPSs on both systems. There's no need to be exclusive with a control type. Just, some people will have better accuracy than others...

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News