Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

SOE Details DC Online Universe: Free to Play Your Way on PS3

Sponsored Links
    Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) Executive Director of Development Lorin Jameson has shared details today on DC Online Universe, which he states is now free to play your way on PS3!

To quote: Remember back in September when we announced that DC Universe Online was going to be Free-To-Play? Well, it's here!

Starting today you can download DCUO from the PlayStation Store for free, and play all you want with no monthly fee required. Experience the game play features that have gotten players excited about DCUO since it launched, including the intense, fast-action brawler style combat system that makes it feel more like an action game than a massive online game.

Now, you can see for yourself how DCUO offers the best of both worlds. Fight, fly, speed, battle with friends, pummel your enemies, explore the amazing locales of the DC Universe, hobnob with Wonder Woman... all for free!

We're really excited about this transition because you all have been asking us to make this change, and now we've done it - we're making DCUO accessible to so many more players.

We heard all of you out there who told us at conventions, on Facebook and elsewhere that you'd love to jump in to the game, if only it didn't have that pesky monthly fee. Well, now's your chance. With our three levels of access there's something for every type of player. Free-To-Play. Your way.

Are you a new player? Then just jump in and play for free. If you buy a few of the awesome items in our marketplace or a DLC pack (totaling at least $5), then you'll get permanently bumped up to Premium Access, which gives you extra features such as more character and inventory slots.

You can continue to play at Premium Access for as long as you want with the option to purchase extra features, or jump in to a Legendary membership for a monthly fee and get access to maximum game features and all DLC packs. Don't want to pay that membership fee for a while? No problem, you'll automatically become Premium Access if you drop your Legendary membership.

And for you current players, you may have already noticed that you've already been migrated to a Legendary membership. Former players, come on back! You'll be granted automatic Premium Access as soon as you log in. We have all the details on our website if you want to know more.

We look forward to seeing all of the new faces, and old friends, zipping around Metropolis and Gotham City.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Question

Sponsored Links
    Ok I downloaded it and it wanted a update of game right away, so I did now its sitting there doing something.

They really need to increase the font sizes on screen, I have a 36 inch screen tube tv, and the background pic is bright so it makes it hard to see the white letters and numbers. Took me awhile before I noticed in the right corner there was a countdown going on, can't read it nor the letters on the left.

Really guys at PSN and DC could you make the fonts bigger? geeze.

I will let you know more once its installed and I can finish setup.
    Last edited by hk2; 11-02-2011 at 09:04 PM Reason: quick

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    i really was put off by the monthly fee.. that's an idea imo.

now you can play for free my bigass.. its just a marketing ploy to get you to buy stuff to upgrade to premium before the servers are shut off.. LOL

Yeah thats obvious, but until then I want to enjoy, I have the PC discs but of course useless without a registration, maybe after registering with PSN the disc will be useful, but I doubt it, too much to hope.

ok started download at 5pm my time, now is 11pm, not a 1/4 way downloaded yet. III-------------- < bar.

this is going to take 20 hrs at least or more. I think it said 18gb in size but nothing was readable due to tiny fonts.

ugh.
    Last edited by hk2; 11-03-2011 at 01:11 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by elser1 View Post
    i really was put off by the monthly fee.. that's an idea imo.

now you can play for free my bigass.. its just a marketing ploy to get you to buy stuff to upgrade to premium before the servers are shut off.. LOL
    I hate games like these, it's "free" but to have all the fun weapons and features you need to pay. It's like they put GTA San Andreas for download for "free" but all you can ride is the bike and the only weapon you have is a baseball bat, and you need to pay monthly to experience all the fun stuff.

I stay away from games like these, I'd rather buy the whole game than have to pay monthly.
    Last edited by HeyManHRU; 11-03-2011 at 02:45 AM

Well, this kind of "trick" is the typical Korean online game. There are tons of them, some quite beautiful, but obiouvsly if you want to be cool and fight end game bosses, and be useful, you MUST pay for items, weapons, armors. Without, you're just a trashy user hanging around with low level mobs. Stay far from this trash, guys

Quote Originally Posted by hk2 View Post
    ok started download at 5pm my time, now is 11pm, not a 1/4 way downloaded yet. III-------------- < bar.

this is going to take 20 hrs at least or more. I think it said 18gb in size but nothing was readable due to tiny fonts.

ugh.
    You can use the Playstation Download manager (or any proxy app with the same functionality) for that - this would cache the download first to your PC and then "upload" it quickly to your PS3 so you don't waste time letting your PS3 doing nothing bar whole day of downloading. 18GB you said - jeesh - I'd need to clear up some space for that ...

Never used it before but thanks wil look into it for next time.

Ok follow up, after 20 hours of downloading, I woke up and checked the game says couldnt start click "X" to try again, I did so, still same results, so I shut down game and went back to the xmb, then relaunched the game, then it went to joker load screen then to a catwoman screen telling me , "world selection" , ("all worlds are currently down for maintenace please try again later") Lovely!

I don't think they were ready for the traffic or just not ready at all for a launch. I know I know,... its free, don't expect much.

Ok its been a few weeks, Love the game, in the first week it was always down , then they brought new servers online, now no probs getting on.

of course at my time 6am they shut down for maint, but it takes about 20 min.

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News