Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

SOCOM Cheater Gets Probation for Hacking PlayStation Web site

Sponsored Links
    Today Techeye.net (linked above) reports via [Register or Login to view links] that a 17-year-old SOCOM US Navy Seals cheater who got kicked off Sony's PlayStation site retaliated by hacking it, and as a result he was sentenced to a year's probation.

In addition, the Latrobe teen will also have to perform 250 hours of community service and pay Sony $5,000 in damages.

Apparently Sony asked for more than $33,200 in restitution, but the judge ruled that amount would be too excessive for the teen.

To quote: "Coppers claimed that the teen crippled Sony's online PlayStation site in retaliation for being kicked off the site for cheating while playing a war game called SOCOM US Navy Seals.

He used hacker tools to contact a botnet and these were directed clog three games on the PlayStation site, causing it to crash and go off-line.

Sony wanted $33,200 in restitution, but the judge ruled that amount would be too excessive for the teen."

SOCOM Cheater Gets Probation for Hacking PlayStation Web site

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Wow, what a bunch of bs...

Sony you disappoint us.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    You listed "Sony wanted $33,200 in restitution, but the judge ruled that amount would be too excessive for the teen." twice.

The first is the excerpt from the quote, and the latter one is from the quote itself (where the excerpt was derived from) basically.

i just don't know about sony, teenagers man that's cold.

this year sony, next year a threat to your national security, lol.

This guy supposedly 'planted' a virus anyway and they haven't said how he did it (obviously - for security purposes). I doubt he cracked anything, probably just used an exploit to dump a file and execute it.

Sounds to me as if he got off pretty easy, hacking offences usually result in a lot more serious penalties.

This is hilarious, good for the stupid kid.

Quote Originally Posted by awdawg View Post
    Sounds to me as if he got off pretty easy, hacking offences usually result in a lot more serious penalties.
    exactly. so this kid got caught cheating online, then he hacked the company that caught him cheating. everything that the kid did was malicious. hell, i would have left the payment amount around $33k, sent him to jail for a few years, and forbid him from using a computer for a few years after he gets out of jail. as a country, the u.s. spends to much time slapping wrists and not assigning proper punishments/penalties.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News