Last week's http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160890 was unsatisfying to almost everyone. Can we do a little better in this brave, new post-http://e3.1up.com world? That sounds like a mystery for this week's edition of Shelf Life, 1UP's weekly feature where we let you know what games to expect this week and have you take a look at what we have to say about them (so far). Watch for the following games in stores the week of July 16th, 2007.
Monday, July 16th
- http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3159026 (PS3, X360) -- Coming a day earlier than competitor EA's latest NCAA outing (see below), All-Pro Football sees 2KSports returning to video gaming's best-selling sport withoutan NFL license. Can it score a touchdown against Madden? Find out whether to cheer or jeer with 1UP's preview anda full review on the way.
- http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3157605 (PSP) -- On the opposite end of the tennis spectrum from fellow this-week release Hot Shots Tennis, Smash Court Tennis 3 is a more realistic tennis game that was so ashamed about its company last week that it silently delayed itself. The game's super-deep career mode and and various other options are called out one by one in 1UP's preview.
Tuesday, July 17th
- http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3153879 (PS2) -- We love us some Hot Shots Golf at 1UP HQ, but there's good reason to be skeptical that the winning formula on the green can work just as flawlessly on the tennis court. Get a dose of the cute-ification in store with 1UP's preview.
- http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3158666 (PS2, PS3, X360, XBOX) -- Yes, the football fans are getting two sweet choices this week. How does this latest college-focused EA title evolve the series? To help you find out, we've got several different 1UP previews to read up on.
- http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3159093 (PSP) -- Everyone's favorite rapping dog (sorry, Poochy) finally goes portable with this PSP re-release of the classic PS1 music rhythm game. Will it be good? Parappa sez: "Youjust gotta believe!" Will it be awesome? Instructor Mooselini (wtf?) sez: "Check and turn the signal to the right."
- http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3160834 (PS2) -- This isn't EA Sports's first rugby game, but it is the first one (from any developer!) to getmention in Shelf Life, which makes it instantly ten times more awesome. We don't know much about these fancy non-American sports, but from the little we gathered from Wikipedia, rugby appears to be a bit like ourversion of football but with double or even triple the bloodshed. That could be fun and/or horrifying.
- http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3155773 (PC) -- GRAW2 finally makes its way to PC, although the PlayStation 3 version is still MIA. We found the PC version of theoriginal Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter highly successful, so our hopes are high for this one. Put 1UP's preview in your sights for more info.
- http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3153787 (PSP) -- The latest (portable) addition to the long-running Tales series of RPGs gathers together bunches of heroes that have beenfeatured in previous titles and groups them up for the first time. Dive into this game's early depths with 1UP's preview.
Wednesday, July 18th
- http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3159439 (XBLA) -- This is one of those rare weeks where the Xbox Live Arcade releases for the week have been announced early enough that we can talk about them in Shelf Life. The first choice from Hudson finally brings us aclassic Bomberman game with full online multiplayer and without thatuber-unnecessary sci-fi dystopia setting that helped make Bomberman: Act Zero our lowest-reviewed game ever for the Xbox 360. If our http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3160183 is any indication, this Bomberman's packing a much moredesirable punch.
- http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=2015369 (XBLA) -- There's old-school of the chic, vaguely fashionable variety (http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3160060) and then there's thetruly old-shool. The latter is most certainly the case for this week's second Live Arcade title, http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=2015369, arguably one of the oldest games in the fighting genre. My favorite part is how opponents tend tobe named after the weapons they use. What's wrong with big baddies name "Club", "Chain", and "Pole"? Nothing at all, my friends. Nothingat all.
And that's what's hitting the shelves this week! REMEMBER: Game release dates are notoriously slippy. Even though we prepare this list at the latest possible secondand check several sources, it's always possible a game might slip out of its intended date.
[Shelf Life is written every week via release lists compiled by http://www.1up.com, Gamespot, and NeoGAF.]
Thanks to http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/1up/ALLPS3/content/~3/134335665/newsStory for sharing the news with us!