Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Post Semi-full YDL5 screen modes / remove black borders!

Sponsored Links
    If you're also annoyed by non-fullscreen modes in YDL5 and missing part of the picture when in real full mode (due to the TV overscan) here is a brief guide how to fix that (it's just a first quick draft but if there will be more intererst I'll do a full guide including screenshot, comments etc.):

Please follow this excellent guide from hacked2123 with following addtions:

7.92 TYPE gedit drivers/video/ps3fb.c
    7.93 Press CTRL+F, in the search box type in PS3FB_RES_FULL and click on Find (or scroll down by cca 7 PgDwns)
    7.94 in the table bellow amend lines { 1280, 720, 78, 38, 0} and {1920, 1080, 116, 58, 0} to { 1280, 720, 38, 18, 0} and {1920, 1080, 64, 32, 0}

Please note that values 38 / 18 and 64 / 32 are results of several experiments and might be slightly different depending on overscan values of your telly.

7.95 Save the file and close the editor.

If you'll be trying several various values you don't need to follow the whole procedure again - use the shorted one bellow (e.g. after first compile when you're still not satisfied with the screen setup or when you've done already the UDF / NTFS support beforehand):

1. Boot into OtherOS

2.1. Login as root

3. PRESS ALT+Esc and TYPE termininal and then PRESS up THEN enter (or click the terminal icon)
    4. TYPE cd linux (That's cd SPACE linux)

7.92 TYPE gedit drivers/video/ps3fb.c
    7.93 Press CTRL+F, in the search box type in PS3FB_RES_FULL and click on Find (or scroll down by cca 7 PgDwns)
    7.94 in the table bellow amend lines { 1280, 720, 78, 38, 0} and {1920, 1080, 116, 58, 0} to { 1280, 720, 38, 18, 0} and {1920, 1080, 64, 32, 0}

7.95 Save the file and close the editor.

8. TYPE make vmlinux

9. TYPE make modules
    10. TYPE make modules_install

10.1 TYPE rm /boot/initrd_NTFS_UDF.img
    10.2 confirm deletion with y ENTER

11. TYPE mkinitrd /boot/initrd_NTFS_UDF.img 2.6.16
    12. TYPE cp vmlinux /boot/vmlinux_NTFS_UDF
    12.1 Confirm overwrite with y ENTER

13. TYPE cp System.map /boot/System.map
    13.1 Confirm overwrite with y ENTER

16. ... reboot
    17. When kboot: comes up type ydl_ntfs_udf (or use the TAB key to cycle though the option to select desired one)
    17.1. PRESS enter

Please note that it's possible that not all the above steps in short version are necessary but it worked for me.

I'll appreciate any feedback / comments regarding above procedures.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    wow! i got to try it tonight, i hope it will work. Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    thanks a lot. it works for me, with the values {1280, 720, 54, 28, 0} for a 720p HDTV

in order to ajust to me right values I have need to recompile several times the kernel but it's simple and quick just folowing this steps. I asume that your use the first guide to create your own kernel and you are not happy with the result.

open a terminal
    goto where you have the linux folder with
    cd linux

delete only the presious complied ps3fb
    rm /drivers/video/ps3fb.o

modify the source file with your new values for test
    gedit /drivers/video/ps3fb.c

recompile the kernel (you will see this is very faster now)
    make vmlinux

copy the new kernel to the boot folder
    cp vmlinux /boot/vmlinux_NTFS_UDF
    overwrite it with y

cp also the System.map (not sure if needed, but is only a file and I did it)
    cp System.map /boot/System.map
    overwrite it with y

reboot and check the new results, if you are not happy test again with new values

Regards
    Spirax

Great - I've just forget to mention the meaning of those 2 changed values (if it's not obvious for someone):

First value (3rd in the bracket) is how wide should be black border on each side and second value is how much it should be wide on top and bottom (in pixels).

When I wrote " make vmlinux" in terminal but the "make" command does not work, it said stop, what can i do?
    thanks

Are you logged in as root and did you change to the linux folder first?

How comes using ps3videomode -v 131 full screens my YDL?

Quote Originally Posted by eternal View Post
    How comes using ps3videomode -v 131 full screens my YDL?
    Well - then you're either one of the few lucky one having telly with NO overscan or you've not noticed a small trimming of picture around the edges.

All the icons seem to be displayed ok and the tool bar which is either at the top or bottom of the screen depending on which session you have i.e. enlightenment or GNOME are displayed fine.

I don't think as it happens my TV does have overscan, its an LG 42LC2D

Quote Originally Posted by eternal View Post
    I don't think as it happens my TV does have overscan, its an LG 42LC2D
    Is your PS3 connected via HDMI?

Your telly could be intelligent enough to not use an overscan with a "computer" source ... :??

Or it might be really just slight overscan - try to open terminal window and then move it to the top and left edge of the desktop - usualy you'll manage to "lose" a couple of pixels behind the edge of the visible picture.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News