Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

SCEE President: Wii Owners Will Upgrade to a PS3 Console

Sponsored Links
    A few months ago SCEE confirmed news that Andrew House would be replacing David Reeves as president.

That being said, it appears the new president of SCEE isn't wasting any time taking over the reins from David Reeves and causing a stir.

After having been in his new office for only a little over a month, House is already making daring statements, telling Edge-Online in an [Register or Login to view links] that he believes Wii owners will eventually 'upgrade' to PS3, and that the PS3's lifecycle could "significantly" exceed ten years.

To quote: "If you look back at previous lifecycles, like PS2 versus N64 [sic], we have lots of data that suggests that lots of people bought into N64 as their entry level gaming device, and were happy to upgrade to a more powerful machine later in the lifecycle when the price point was right for them."

"I think we're going to see this later on PS3, and the fact that it's a Blu-ray player as well and that there's a [greater] wealth of network based experiences than are perhaps available on the device they already have will add to the proposition. I think that will definitely be a factor in the marketplace."

House also said that the PS3's lifecycle could "significantly" exceed ten years.

"There are a few things that drive this to a significantly longer than ten-year lifecycle for me. One is the traditional market dynamic that as prices come down you build down and out through the pyramid to a new type of consumer, and the motion controller we showed yesterday - and gave a firm release date on - changes the experience and allows us to bring in a new audience.

And then over that there's the network offering and a different way - and PSP Go is another aspect of that - for consumers to consume content. All three of those give us a tremendously strong opportunity to really build that platform lifecycle up over the long term."

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Or you buy them both!

No seriously, I would not want to lose my Wii nor my PS3. They are both A+ consoles.

But the game genre from the Wii is very different from the PS3... On the Wii there are more Childish games... while the PS3 offers more adult games (shooting and stuff).

So for small children i would say no... but for grown up people i give a big GO!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    He doesn't mean anything about games.... It all has to do with the new motion controller that sony will release sometime this year i think... it is the motion controller which will bring the wii owners to the playstation community.

I strongly agree with that as ps3's horsepower, ps3 eyetoy and motion controller will exceed the "motion" game fan that was observed in the wii....

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    They could come to the PS3... but i think they wont. There are more childish games on wii than on the ps3. I don't know if they want to create some new games for kids (but i think so).

I think its too late for sony to invest in motion sensing.

There's still a pretty big price hop to get from the Wii to the PS3. If Sony can sell the PS3 based on it being an "all-inclusive" console that combines the best parts of a game console, Wii, and Blu-Ray player... then maybe.

But the main problem is that motion-control games won't take off on the PS3 until and unless a substantial fraction of the people with PS3s buy the motion controls. A publisher isn't selling to the potential market of all PS3s... they're selling to the potential market of PS3s with motion controls, which is necessarily a smaller market.

With the Wii, the motion controls are right there, everyone's got 'em. So publishers are selling to the whole market of Wii owners, potentially. We'll see... I'd expect the Motion Plus to run into the same problem. If the Wii's Motion Plus takes off, that might be a hopeful sign for Sony.

If Sony can make their motion controls work as well as the Wii + WiiMotion Plus, and developers can provide games to take advantage of them, then that will be fantastic.

I bought a Wii about a month after I got my PS3. I've had the Wii now for about a month, and the PS3 for two. My PS3 hasn't been powered on in over a week except to play a DVD.

All of my gaming time of late has been spent playing WiiSports Tennis, and now, as of yesterday, VirtuaTennis 2009. Tonight, I pick up two WiiMotion Plus controllers, and Grand Slam Tennis. I hope to pick up the new Tiger Woods Golf soon too. I have its demo on the PS3 and it's very good; I can imagine it being even better with the Wii's controls.

Still, I figure once I start to tire of the tennis games, I'll go back and continue playing Uncharted, Fallout 3, and Wolverine. I still LOVE the PS3; it's a technical marvel and I love technology. I'm eager to see what happens with Sony's new motion controls. I would LOVE to see the Wii's controls coupled with the PS3's horsepower and amazing graphics.

Rob

well, what i can say is sony copied the motion controller from wii. I hope they won't get sued by nintendo.

Quote Originally Posted by Marijuana View Post
    well, what i can say is sony copied the motion controller from wii. I hope they won't get sued by nintendo.
    Nope. The Wii remote detects the sensor bar. In Sony's system, it's more-or-less reversed - the PS Eye detects where the remote is. No grounds to sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Marijuana View Post
    why would they?? ps3 have the sensor thingy built in where as wii has the bar that hangs around looking pretty darn ugly and the infrared sensor on the controller is built in too and on the wii it has a black splodge on the top of the controller. so how could they sue?

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    If Sony can make their motion controls work as well as the Wii + WiiMotion Plus, and developers can provide games to take advantage of them, then that will be fantastic.

I bought a Wii about a month after I got my PS3. I've had the Wii now for about a month, and the PS3 for two. My PS3 hasn't been powered on in over a week except to play a DVD.

All of my gaming time of late has been spent playing WiiSports Tennis, and now, as of yesterday, VirtuaTennis 2009. Tonight, I pick up two WiiMotion Plus controllers, and Grand Slam Tennis. I hope to pick up the new Tiger Woods Golf soon too. I have its demo on the PS3 and it's very good; I can imagine it being even better with the Wii's controls.

Still, I figure once I start to tire of the tennis games, I'll go back and continue playing Uncharted, Fallout 3, and Wolverine. I still LOVE the PS3; it's a technical marvel and I love technology. I'm eager to see what happens with Sony's new motion controls. I would LOVE to see the Wii's controls coupled with the PS3's horsepower and amazing graphics.

Rob
    that is like torture of the ps3 lol, i personally think ps3 is good for people with not very steady hands like me and the wii for people who have very steady/can keep them firm for a long time well thats my opinion anyway
    Last edited by chathamtom; 06-10-2009 at 01:08 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News