Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Rumor: Sony's PS3 Motion Controller Named PlayStation Gem

Sponsored Links
    Update: Despite a "Gem" of a slip-up reported on [Register or Login to view links] by Disney president Steve Wadsworth during a keynote address, according to [Register or Login to view links], the term "Gem" was "an early code name for the product," per Sony Computer Entertainment of America director of communications Patrick Seybold. "We haven't announced final name at this point."

Recently a patent surfaced on Sony's PS3 Motion Controller, however, excluding previous rumors the peripheral has yet to be officially named.

Today, MCVUK.com (linked above) may have found a clue... Sony's upcoming PS3 Motion Controller could be named simply PlayStation Gem.

To quote: John Riccitiello refers to new tech as the PlayStation Gem at UBS Media Conference.

Maybe he mis-spoke, maybe it was a slip of the tongue - or maybe, just maybe, EA boss John Riccitiello has accidentally leaked the name of Sony's upcoming WiiMote contender, which until now has simply been referred to as the PlayStation Motion Controller.

"In the coming year, both Sony and Microsoft have announced new controllers," he stated. "Motion sensor controls, Natal and Gem, these are likely to bring new consumers into the marketplace."

Rumor: Sony's PS3 Motion Controller Named PlayStation Gem

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    LOL... it makes sense with that glowing orb on the top of the sensor. It looks kind of like a gem

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I remember people called it "wand" too.

Gem sounds cooler though...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    "gem" doesn't sound cool... at all.

I think so neither. But cooler than "wand"!

Maybe they call it something fancy like "MotionShock".
    So the "DualShock" would have it's descendant.

Quote Originally Posted by semitope View Post
    "gem" doesn't sound cool... at all.
    Agreed... although it's not spelled the same, it reminds me of the 80's cartoon Jem (see pic below).
    Attached Images<br><br> Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
    I think so neither. But cooler than "wand"!

Maybe they call it something fancy like "MotionShock".
    So the "DualShock" would have it's descendant.
    Thats what I was thinking too, something functional and somehow related to what sony has out already. They could even work around the sixaxis name since its, in a way, an extension of that controllers function. "Gem" says nothing, but if thats what they call it, it will catch on I guess. Unless ppl just completely ignore that name and call it whatever they want. lol

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    Agreed... although it's not spelled the same, it reminds me of the 80's cartoon Jem (see pic below).
    lol. I think sony needs some help with PR really. They should have a survey on names ppl like.

Thumbs Up

I updated the first post... as Sony Computer Entertainment of America director of communications Patrick Seybold stated now that "Gem" was just a prototype name and not the final name.

Guess it was accurate to think it wasn't appropriate. Prototype names seem to always be weird.

edit: just thought its probably because its the engineers and not the PR ppl that come up with those prototype names.
    Last edited by semitope; 12-10-2009 at 11:52 PM

Thumbs Down

I saw a vid about this, its looks pretty cool but come on "gem"? Thats a lame name.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News