Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Rumor: Sony to Unveil Cloud Gaming for PS3 and PS Vita at E3 2012

Sponsored Links
    Today VG247.com (linked above) reports that according to a rumor Sony is expected to unveil cloud gaming for PS3, PS Vita and other PlayStation branded devices at E3 2012.

Although further details are scarce at the moment, the potential cloud gaming deal is likely to be with either Gaikai or OnLive allowing streamed games on PlayStation branded hardware.

To quote: "VG247 has learned that Sony is to announce a cloud gaming deal with either Gaikai or OnLive at E3, apparently allowing streamed games on PlayStation hardware.

Details are light, but the news expected to be announced in the Sony press conference on June 4."

For those curious, this year's E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) will be held from June 5-7, 2012 at the Los Angeles Convention center.

Rumor: Sony to Unveil Cloud Gaming for PS3 and PS Vita at E3 2012

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I've never used this type of service before, but latency comes to mind.

Can anyone who has used a game streaming service comment on latency with control input/video output?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    that's bs

So now $ony not only "rents" consoles, they will rent videogames too...

P.S: I've never tried cloud gaming but i can see the problems that would arise with my internet connection, or almost any other connection in my country...

Banned User
    Cloud gaming certainly has potential, as you would not need to rely on your hardware to play a game that could potentially have top of the line performance in terms of graphics. Theoretically, somebody cloud gaming on a PS3 could play a game being driven by the best possible PC setup (albeit limited to 1080p).

Plus the need to keep buying new consoles every few years to enjoy higher performing games would be moot, as you could literally use the same system for a lifetime. And perhaps cloud gaming would allow cross-platform play of games and online services regardless of what brand you own. So for example, a PS3 user wants to play Mass Effect 1 on their PS3, no problem. Halo games, GeOW etc etc.

Although cloud gaming has a TON of drawbacks, things like lag, being 100% reliant on the net to play games, net speed limitations, server issues, potential data loss etc etc etc. As of now, I don't believe our infrastructure can handle it, maybe in 15 or 20 years when the slowest net connection somebody has is 50 Mbps up/down on fiber optic.

We can't deny this kind of thing is going to be the future, and it's already amazing how much the internet is being used now as it's exponential growth is staggering. I can't even imagine what things are going to be like in 20 years... I can just picture everything will be net-based and streamed.

Cloud 'gaming' encourages cheapass hardware and lack of ownership, I never understood how people get behind it.

I completely agree with you. It is for this reason I refuse to purchase Diablo 3. Cloud gaming is nothing more than a means to control and track gamers, all while giving the illusion that you actually purchased something to own. If you don't like this behavior, you need to vote with your wallets and not buy them (or pirate them, its just adding fuel to the fire). There are more games available than anyone can play in their entire lives. I promise life will go on if you avoid these types of games.

Perhaps if they start selling them at rental prices ($5), then I would consider them. But there is no way I would pay full price for a game that I don't own.

This may work for some types of games, but realistically this isn't going to work for games like 3rd person shooters. I worry about 3-4 ms latency between my computer & monitor, forget network latency.

you can buy diablo 3 at gameshop on disc. i have no opinion cloud gaming as i've never done it. i'd have to do it to see what its like, but i'd give it a go i guess. aus internet isn't that fast yet.. still waiting for the fibre optics to be installed but should be awesome then. might help. lol

I doubt it, a monitor with 2-3ms latency is a bit problematic on some games but streaming it over the internet? well good luck with the average 8-10ms (local) latency and 10-80ms latency international.

Hey guys i'm a fan of what the psn is bringing to gamers, the ease of use and the features are amazing. Sure maybe some stuff is overpriced but the options you get as a gamer are light years from what we had 6 - 7 years ago, just last generation you had to have a super-uber-turbo hacked console to get on par with what the LEGAL psn offers now a days to the average joe. So if having a streaming gaming service like onlive is there well if you can take advantage from it, do it!!

I'm so happy and cheering all sony has done with the psn because at this rate by next generation or 5 - 6 years from now we will have the ultimate gaming device, because I used to hack to get games that where not available locally or old games that were not sold today. Preservation wont be a problem and we will be able to play most generation games whenever we want for a couple of bucks.

Now if we dont need to change hardware or if you DON'T want to change hardware and can take advantage of things like onlive imagine getting a ps3 for 100 bucks(when ps4 hits stores and ps3 is last gen)!! Having access to all those ps1 classics, ps2 classics, psn games, psn minis, music, videos, etc. Sorry if im overhyping these features, I'm just so happy to be a psn costumer.
    Last edited by adrianc1982; 05-25-2012 at 03:08 AM

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News