Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Sponsored Links

Question

Sponsored Links
    I could be WAY off the mark here, but since it is not possible to do custom firmware, is it perhaps possible that there is a way to turn off the system check for newer firmware (with the exploit) in the system menu?

Sponsored Links

Question

Sponsored Links
    Can we install other os on ps3 slim with motorstorm faille ? there is a way to follow no?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by zetlamanplt View Post
    Can we install other os on ps3 slim with motorstorm faille ? there is a way to follow no?
    No. There is no implementation of the OtherOS software on the PS3 Slim, and I cannot be sure but the hardware may also be removed for it (please correct me if I am wrong.) Nothing we do (for now) allows the installation on the PS3 Slim. Maybe it will be possible in the future, but only time will tell.

Wink I hear ya.

Quote Originally Posted by lilshortwun View Post
    What are you talking about. I think this is just a rumor most likely started by some person who is against piracy. Moreover, you can bet that Sony is coming up with a solution to patch this exploit from occurring again in the near future.

OtherOS will most likely still be there, just difference is that it will have even tighter security than ever to prevent this kind of attack. Just like the RSX graphics exploit, I highly doubt they will leave OtherOS users hanging just because of this.
    Hey lilshortwun... I hear ya. And yes it may be just a rumor. I'm just inclined to err on the side of caution. If this is true and the firmware does get rid of OtherOS and access to an already established partition... lots of people stand to lose data. My comment was more on pointing out "what if this is true" scenario.

As far as the piracy bit... whatever. I could care less on that. I'm just speaking from a legimate concern if this does occur. Nothing wrong with being cautious.

I have now updated the first post with Geoff Levand of Sony's (dated) reply: [Register or Login to view links]
    On 02/26/2010 04:30 AM, David Woodhouse wrote:

On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 09:58 -0700, geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com wrote:
    The feature of "Install Other OS" was removed from the new "Slim" PS3 model to focus on delivering games and other entertainment content.

Please be assured that SCE is committed to continue the support for previously sold models that have the "Install Other OS" feature and that this feature will not be disabled in future firmware releases.

Although it's disappointing that Sony have removed the feature from new models, It's good to have this public assurance from Sony that at least the feature won't be removed from older models which are already working.

Please understand that in my position as PS3-Linux maintainer I can really only provide users with technical support for Linux and the LV1 hcall interface.

The text above was provided to me by SCE management. If you have any questions regarding it or any other feature of the PS3 please contact the Playstation Customer Support in your country. Using Playstation Customer Support will insure your inquiry is processed through the correct channels within SCE.

-Geoff

Removal of OS

You have more or less addressed the issue that was on my mind. Can Sony really afford to ignore the minority that has been harnessing the power of the cell in parallel computing? The removal of other OS in the slim is an indicator that OS is being phased out anyway.

What may happen, is the possibility of an upgrade that will make parallel connection to become feasible within the game XMB environment. Special applications of the affected companies may be able to run but other pc emulated games may have come to the end of the road.

It makes no difference to me that they're removing the Add OS feature. I have no use for it because (a) I have slim and (b) I have a PC that has a good operating system. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by MMBtalk View Post
    You have more or less addressed the issue that was on my mind. Can Sony really afford to ignore the minority that has been harnessing the power of the cell in parallel computing? The removal of other OS in the slim is an indicator that OS is being phased out anyway.

What may happen, is the possibility of an upgrade that will make parallel connection to become feasible within the game XMB environment. Special applications of the affected companies may be able to run but other pc emulated games may have come to the end of the road.
    "...indicator that os is being phased out anyway." are you saying that linux is being phased out? if so, you are horribly wrong.

Sponsored Links

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News