Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Rumor: Sony PS4 to Use Optical Storage Discs Like Blu-ray on PS3

Sponsored Links
    Sony's Senior VP of Product Development Shuhei Yoshida at SCEA has hinted in a recent interview with German site [Register or Login to view links] that PS4 may use optical storage discs like the Blu-ray discs the PlayStation 3 currently utilizes.

To quote from the interview, roughly translated: "Whether Shuhei Yoshida believes that the technology of digital distribution even when stationary consoles like the PlayStation 3 or a future 'PlayStation 4 prevails, "we wanted to know about him:" I think that digital content easier to portable devices like the PSP or the iPod fits.

It's faster, easier and more convenient than a CD, and the volumes of data keep both in music and play in bounds, "replies the Senior Vice President of Product Development at SCEA in discussion with video games area.

For home consoles, where the game files 5 to 30 gigabytes in size, was a download, however no longer feasible. Disc-based media would play on the console market is a part.

"Game developers now have to use the entire capacity of a Blu-ray Disc. But we supplement the offer with smaller titles from the PlayStation Store, but the big blockbuster games will continue to appear on media," it is safe to Yoshida."

Rumor: Sony PS4 to Use Optical Storage Discs Like Blu-ray on PS3

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    For one second I was like "Discbasierte media?", but then I saw "German site", so I know where that came from. Still, you may want to correct that one. :-)

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    i sure hope future consoles don't move to digital only distribution any time soon. Given some of the implications i have seen from other mediums that have gone in this direction, i am not a fan of this. From things like amazon's kindle begin able to revoke access to e-books you rightfully purchase after they have already been downloaded, having an actual physical copy of the product is far more secure from a consumer standpoint in my eyes.

With hardware failure rates also posing a problem and companies often liking to stick to proprietary hardware solutions, i would definitely hate to lose something to the void of not being able to access a hard drive, access privileges changing, or the site/internet connection being down so i cant re-download something, not to mention any other blocks that may be in place keeping me from doing things in a way i am accustomed to.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    It would make sense to keep optical disc compatibility in the next machine as there are a large number of current owners who use the PS3 as a blu ray player and for games and they would require both to be available on the next machine.

Quote Originally Posted by dorienasder View Post
    For one second I was like "Discbasierte media?", but then I saw "German site", so I know where that came from. Still, you may want to correct that one. :-)
    If you can better translate it or let me know what to correct exactly I will... sadly, that is what Google translates it to and as I can't read a word of German I can only go by their translation.

"Disc basierte" = Disc based

Quote Originally Posted by banksc View Post
    "Disc basierte" = Disc based
    I updated the first post- Thanks banksc and +Rep!

I'm always surprised by the polarizing statements that are made by people (press and non-press alike), but I assume its all made in the interest of creating buzz and discussion.

Shuhei Yoshida's statements are very sensible. People tend to take this whole DD vs Physical Media debate way too far trying to eliminate one without the other. It won't happen and for the very same reason that the internet hasn't eliminated all B&M stores (please don't take this literally, its just a simple comparison).

Sure market shares will change, more people will utilize DD in the future but you'll have a market for each delivery system while both co-exist but there are pros and cons to both. Its not like one completely trumps the other, there are situations where physical media works best and others where it doesn't (just like Yoshida mentioned above) the market share of each will change based on which products are best suited to DD and which are best suited to physical copies.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by revel8n View Post
    From things like amazon's kindle begin able to revoke access to e-books you rightfully purchase after they have already been downloaded, having an actual physical copy of the product is far more secure from a consumer standpoint in my eyes.
    Exactly! It works well enough for DLC, Expansions, & PSN games, but for full games it should never be forced. The option would be nice to have, but people would need some serious hard drive space and internet bandwidth.

The enthusiast would likely not have a problem with hard drive space, but it might become cost prohibitive to the masses if they were to buy only D/D Retail Games. Then there is the issued with monthly download allocations from ISPs, with one game, some people will hit their bandwidth caps (20/30GB/mo). Until ISPs get with the times and allow generous or unlimited bandwidth schemes then I think D/D will be seriously limited in how large it can get.

But for me, its comes down to having a hard copy and transferability for trade ins, selling, & borrowing/lending with friends. As well, it means hands off for the seller, they can't revoke your purchase like Kindle's ebook issue a while ago. With digital distribution, I don't think we'll have that choice.

Here's hoping for more physical media in the years to come.

Anyone know in with year the ps4 comes.. 2020?

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News