Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Rumor: Sony May Launch $40 Downloadable PS3 Game Lineup

Sponsored Links
    Warhawk, SOCOM, and Burnout Paradise are a couple of "full" titles that Sony has given gamers the chance to digitally download onto their HDDs.

While each game took up its fair amount of space, it was definitely convenient to not have to put the disc into the console in order to play the games. The ease of booting up our beloved console and clicking a menu item to start playing a great title like Burnout Paradise is definitely something that made the occupied HDD space worth it.

If this is something you've enjoyed, you may be happy to know that some analysts think that this may become the norm for the electronics giant we've all come to love.

According to Futuresource Consulting's senior market analyst Mai Hoang, Sony is [Register or Login to view links] rolling out an entire lineup of $40 downloadable titles that are sold at a discount in comparison to their $60 disc-based counterparts. While this idea has been tested by Sony with the previously titles mentioned, it's a treatment that first-party PSP titles in Japan have been enjoying for quite some time.

Futuresource believes that Sony wants to take a bigger piece of the digital distribution market which could validate this new game-delivery strategy. Considering that digitally downloaded games are a multi-billion dollar industry, it makes perfect sense for any company to want to snag a larger share of the market.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

excellent idea...

Sponsored Links
    its give sony some points in console battle...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    This is a good move for sony, if they could bring the games to the gamers sofa impulse buying will kick in plus the ease to get games on a rainy day will be great.

Also a think sony should start making our psn accounts global accounts for sony products to keep a history of our purchases and tastes. This global account could move with the user as he keeps growing old that way if he wants to play old titles via backward compatibility he can get those titles.

This is the obvious direction for the big corporations like microsoft, sony and apple. Steam has done a great job and so the apple store too, proven methods like these should definetly start becoming a standard in todays market where digital distribution is a reality. Movies, Games, Shows, Apps at a discount price or better priced than retail will be the market of tomorrow because everyone can have a store at home.

Actually I'd settle for the ability to install your hard copy of game to PS3 hard drive just like what Xbox360 did for most of their games. That way you got both the bluray disc and a digital copy in PS3's HD.

Quote Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
    Actually I'd settle for the ability to install your hard copy of game to PS3 hard drive just like what Xbox360 did for most of their games. That way you got both the bluray disc and a digital copy in PS3's HD.
    you mean installing it and not needing the disc anymore? now that would be a stupid move of sony, wouldn't it?

Yes the idea is good .... but when i buy a game .... then I want also the Cover booklet and the disk.

With most ISPs now having or planning bandwidth caps, I don't see how this is viable, especially since you would only be able to fit 1-2 games at a time on the 80 gig PS3. Unless the games are in the <10GB range, but if that is the case, why did they go with blu-ray?

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    With most ISPs now having or planning bandwidth caps, I don't see how this is viable, especially since you would only be able to fit 1-2 games at a time on the 80 gig PS3. Unless the games are in the <10GB range, but if that is the case, why did they go with blu-ray?
    That's very short sighted IMO. Not every ISP is doing that! That only affects a very limited amount of people not enough to warrant Sony to drop that feature altogether. Also every game is not going to take 20-50gb that would be insane. Techniques could be utilized to make the download package smaller. An installer system could be used where they used highly compressed files as an install base.

They could also do things like when it's a multi-language release depending on what you have set in your PS3 account it would only download and install your language data. Also don't forget the PS3's HDD is swappable you can pull out your 20,40,60,80,120gb HDD from your PS3 and put in say a 1TB HDD at which point storage wouldn't become an issue. I have Socom: Confrontation installed from PSN. It takes up 2,740 MB. I have a whole bunch of movies and shows some HD some SD.

Even with all of that and this installed game along with some demos I still have around 30GB left! 80GB is a moderate amount and most people don't store much data on their HDDs. And why did they go with bluray!? Your crazy just look at the multidisc xbox 360 of Final Fantasy XIII vs the one on the PS3 which is a single bluray disc you tell me which is the superior version.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News