Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Rumor: Sony Chooses IBM Power7 CPU for PlayStation 4 in 2012

According to Dutch site PS3Clan.nl (linked above), Sony is rumored to have selected IBM's Power7 CPU for their next-generation console tentatively called the PlayStation 4.

Below are a few fan-made concept pictures of what the PS4 could look like when it allegedly debuts in 2012, as well as a rough translation which states "it is a rumor, and not confirmed by Sony."

To quote: "After earlier reports about the new GPU for PlayStation 4 Sony is now told that the IBM Power CPU 7 has selected the next generation console the PlayStation 4.

"We can officially reveal in this world exclusive that SCEI has officially chosen IBM's currently in development http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER7 architecture for it's PlayStation 4 system, currently scheduled for a 2012 worldwide release.

IBM shall debut POWER7 for the server market in the summer of 2010. The PlayStation 4 shall use a cost effective version of the architecture custom designed for Sony's specific needs.

The only information FGNOnline currently has available regarding specifications and performance is that the PS4 implementation of the chip shall use 6-8 cores, 24-32MB shared L3 Cache, Quad threading per core, and a double precision performance approaching 200GFLOPS.

The CELL chip which powers the PS3 is capable of 15 double precision GFLOPS. The CELL chip which powers the PS3 is capable of 15 GFLOPS double precision. This would give the PS4 a performance leap of over 10 fold over it's predecessor.

Interestingly, the primary reason IBM cancelled development on the CELL based PoweXcell 8i is because of SCEI's change of stance. The company wanted to move away from the exotic architecture employed for the PS3 to a more traditional architecture favored by third party developers.

As displayed by it's choice of processors, the server based POWER7 and the TBDR based PowerVR 6, SCEI once again has sights set for performance leadership in the next round."

More PlayStation 3 News...

"This would give the PS4 a performance leap of over 10 fold over it's predecessor." Is posted twice.

Sounds interesting. And i couldnt believe that the next gen of sonys console should be released to 2012.

If you give a comparison to games that are available for x360 and PS3 and make after that a comparison to Sony exclusively titles than they look better but not that you could say: Yes this are 7 sub cores running!!!

Sure the devs always claiming: We are useing the whole power of the machine. But thats most likely commercial BS.Games like MGS4, KillZone2, FFXIII and so on was allready finished to the beginning of the PS3.

Sony have to delay this games becouse other devers just started and couldnt mach there quality.So this games are OLD games.Could some one imaging that to this time now the PS3 maybe use 60-70% of available power?

This also means that a release for a next gen sony console could never be the year 2012.

Beside that how profitable will it be to release new technologie like the new motion cam and motion controller along with the 3D TV gaming via googles in the year 2010 if you just 1 1/2 to max two years later will release a new console?

Thats BS!! I assume that this new technology will be available to the summer of 2010.Then devs will start to release 3DTV games.If we are lucky to christmas time in 2010 we will have 20 3DTV games or so.

There are 3-5 years more to exite this new techology.And what about new engines like the Crytek engine? This engine could lead into new games with such amazing gfx that for the next 3-5 years we dont really need a new console.

By the way im sure that some devers already working with this engine.But till a game will apear based on cryteks baby we will have to wait a few years.At least two years im guess.But wait... this will be then 2012!!

Does we really need a new gen to the year 2012?

Oh yea maybe Nintendo need a new con to 2012 becouse the Wii is the last bs and since sony and m$ will use new motion technology, ninty could loos ground.

But i mean that both m$ and sony doesnt have to fear about ninty.Even if big-n release a new con to 2012 both m$ and sony could quickly change there new hardware and make it a little bit better then the counterparts one.

Look @ the PS3.M$ thought that they must release first to be the first in market.And what they got?A hacked drive with CFW.What did sony? They changed the way there console work and implemented the BD FW into the PS3 FW.So even if you could hack the drive you also have to change the FW from the PS3 itself to match the hacked BD FW and this makes the drive hacking totally useless.

Point for sony and what if the hacker of the xbox scene would have wait till the ps3 would be released?

-Stop, Peace and good Night- cfwprpht

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyanCaze View Post
    "This would give the PS4 a performance leap of over 10 fold over it's predecessor." Is posted twice.
    Fixed.. gotta love Google Translate.
    Quote Originally Posted by cfwprophet View Post
    And i couldnt believe that the next gen of sonys console should be released to 2012.
    I also think 2012 is way too early for a PS4 though... is anyone really ready for one? I bet it will cost like $800+ on launch.

It seems like they are just touching the surface of what the PS3 can do, so if I had to speculate I'd say 2014 or beyond would be a better year to target for a PS4 release.

Banned User
    If any major console brand is going to announce a NEXT gen console it would spell doom for their business...
    Even if it's true I'm sure 2014 is not the release year... It's a lot of factors to take into consideration...
    BLU-RAY is enough for new console??
    What video card...
    Market saturation...? as we can see the PS2 is still going strong...
    ETC, ETC

It's still 4 years ahead, but at the curent state of things advancing, The graphics in PS3 and Xbox 360 still seems to be enough... we shall see!

Sorry wanted to say that: 2012 is NOT the release year! it could not be!
    Last edited by mihaiolimpiu; 11-26-2009 at 06:06 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2015-2016 either would be a good year to bring out a new PlayStation console, because the new HVD (holographic versatile disk) are expected to be completed by around that time.

Banned User
    Seeing as Sony always released a new console supporting a new Disc Format.. it should be the right choice, if they don't choose to support Blu-ray even after that date!

anyway playstation brand goes down

ps2 = 138 mil
    ps3 = i'd say much less than 100 mil till ps4, maybe a half
    psp = 55 mil, sells better than ps3, homebew is a +
    ps4 = less than ps3

xbox360 = much more than xbox one
    Wii = 60~ mil and keeps goin`

IMO ps3 lose because of price and lack of homebrew.If ps3 isn't hacked till ps4, next ps will have his fate, i say this because i know many ppl who bought ps3 and they waited for something to arrive. They regret it now

Thats awesome and all, but yes 2012 is too early for the Playstation 4, people are still barely starting to get into the PS3 right now. In two years to release a brand new console? i dont really see it working in the marketing part... but hey isnt windows 8 coming out in 2012? lol

Personally, I think this looks a bit goofy coming from Sony. Their designs have always been pertaining to a rectangular shape, and turning to the limited edition Xbox 360 spherical model's inspiration is certainly digressing from the PlayStation norm. Nevertheless, this 'POWER7' CPU seems rather exciting in console terms and will surely boost market value of the 'PS4'.

Even though Sony said they would aim to make their next generation console in 2011/2012, but talks suggest that they haven't made enough income on the current PS3 - so they won't be developing ahead of their rivals markets in the mean time.

Although, pioneering three dimensional gaming this Christmas, on 1080p full high definition, the PS3 appears to be getting along fine, still advancing with the latest technology. Xbox has Sky, but PlayStation has Play TV; Xbox has Facebook, but PlayStation has an Internet Browser - the arguement will never end...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast