Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Rumor: Redesigned PS3 to be Revealed at E3 2009

Sponsored Links
    Of course this is just yet another rumor, as there is no official confirmation, but PlayStation Lifestyle caught word that Sony is set to not only reveal the PSP Go at E3, but another hardware redesign will be debuted as well.

To quote: We didn't get any specifics, but we speculate that it could be one of a couple different options. First off, it very well could be as simple as a white or a silver PS3, to go with the white and silver Dualshock 3's that have been made available. This makes sense, as most people would want their controllers to match their consoles.

The other option, and the one we are leaning toward is a slimmed down, model. Maybe with some updated specs. Nothing major of course as to not alienate current PS3 owners, but there is an off chance they could add something small like bluetooth 3.0 support. When we caught wind of this, the exact word "redesign" was used, which leaves me to believe that it is indeed a PS3 slim. Announcing a different color wouldn't exactly warrant the term "redesign".

Then again, since a console wasn't specified either, it could be a redesigned PS2, or yet another PSP model (other than the Go) but that is highly unlikely. There is also an off chance that this "hardware redesign" was referring to a PS3 Motion controller, but I really don't consider that to be "hardware", as it's more of an accessory.

Sony has been known to slim down their consoles, as the original PlayStation, PS2, and even the PSP all have seen slimmer models released after the initial model was released. Is the market ready for a PS3 slim? I know I am.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Doubt there will be a slim ps3 - it will be just a different colour.. maybe even a pricecut.. although won't count on it.

Sponsored Links

Slim PS3?

Sponsored Links
    OMFG I cant wait for a slim ps3 i would buy one in a heartbveat thank god 4 this site i dont get this info anywhere else.

It WILL be a grey one.

Recalling of older news of a game stop employee leaking information of the grey PlayStation 3 controller being released soon.

No evidence of a slimmer model though. It would be cool if they did!

Banned User
    Do you really think the PS3 is ready for a slim line??? NO WAY IN HELL!

Feel the back of a Slim PS2 and then a PS3!
    I myself have the 90nm model but I "felt" a lot of JASPER 65nm (I think?) and it's still very warm to the touch compared to a slim PS2... And after all of that please compare the two coolers 3x3 cm compared to what??? a 100sqcm flat surface (Taking into account both coolers height the cooling surface is probably 50 times greater)?? the PS3 has a round cooler with heatpipes from the chip itself so I'm guessing here... but still...

Maybe when the manufacturing process will get to 45nm (this summer - E3 - price drop???) but the better guess is 30nm.. but until then... this IS and will REMAIN only a RUMOR!

P.S.: Is there someone here that has a 160 GB PS3 (or any other new model), they sport the new 65 CELL! How much heat are they producing???

Instead of working on a slim PS3 they should work on making more of the PS3's backwards compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by mihaiolimpiu View Post
    P.S.: Is there someone here that has a 160 GB PS3 (or any other new model), they sport the new 65 CELL! How much heat are they producing???
    i just helped a friend set up his new ps3 last week (80gb) i felt the back after a couple hours of kz2 and barely noticed any heat. compared to my 60gb which heats up my room and i no longer needed the heater on during winter.

that is quite ugly tbh..

mihaiolimpiumy 80GB that was a MGS4 bundle is extremely hot. It heats my small 10x12 room in about 10 minutes.

As for this I doubt it seriously doubt it. It just isn't ready it's only year 3 and the PS2 didn't get a re-design until year 4.

Quote Originally Posted by mihaiolimpiu View Post
    Maybe when the manufacturing process will get to 45nm (this summer - E3 - price drop???) but the better guess is 30nm.. but until then... this IS and will REMAIN only a RUMOR!
    Yeah, a slim is just not going to happen without a major change in the technology used. I've got a 40GB model (90nm Cell/65nm RSX) and, while it doesn't get that hot, it definitely needs some airflow. You just couldn't make a slim and get enough airflow - not without sounding and behaving like a vacuum cleaner, anyway.

It's probably just a color change, if anything. There's nothing left to take out of the PS3s while still being a PS3. Minor updates like Bluetooth 3.0 or N wifi are conceivable, but they wouldn't add too much value and would bump up the cost somewhat... and Sony will not be bumping up the bill of materials for the PS3. Period. Price is already something of an Achilles heel for them.

A price cut would make sense. Even a $50 drop would help move units... but hey, we'll see.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News