Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Rumor: PSN ID Changes Coming for PlayStation Plus Subscribers?

Sponsored Links
    Update: According to Sony's Jeff Rubenstein via [Register or Login to view links], it appears PSN ID changes may not be coming for PlayStation Plus subscribers after all, to quote: "It’s an idea that’s been brought up multiple times, and it’s something I’d like to see as well. I don’t think there are any current plans to enact this, however. I’ll bring it up again, though."

According to rumors from a Dutch site, North American and European PlayStation Plus subscribers may soon be able to change their PSN ID names similar to what Japanese PlayStation Network users can already do.

Below is a 'proof video' on How to Change Your PlayStation Network ID courtesy of MATTORULZ via YouTube along with a rough English translation, to quote:

"According to some PS3 hackers who wish to remain anonymous and are in a PS3 development chat channel on EFnet, there are traces of an upcoming PSN feature for Americans and Europeans.

It is about changing your nickname PlayStation Network, and will 'Change display name' to be named.

But what many people probably already know, is the fact that this very very long one feature of the Japanese PlayStation Network, see the video below.

When you add people to your original account name will automatically change to display your chosen name. This feature is expected only for PlayStation Plus members are available."

Rumor: PSN ID Changes Coming for PlayStation Plus Subscribers?

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Why can't they just give this to everyone for say like a $0.50 fee?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Well... i know its the first month free. BUT i cannot buy anything or i will be stuck to PSN. And why do we need to pay?

And when PSN+ has run out of credits... will your name change back?

Lightbulb

If PlayStation Plus gave us faster downloads, I'd pay $100/yr. But no other features seem interesting. Not even this.

Banned User
    interesting because of the fact that i wanna change my name.

i hope this features comes this year to our systems.

I know many people may be ok with it, but honestly, I like the fact that people are 'stuck' with the name they choose. I can usually tell a lot about a person by the name they chose, and the trophies they have.

Example: On Home, when you see a 'female' with a name like GangstaThug2010, you already know it's a guy. Or if you see another with SweetHoney449 and has 0% trophies, you know it's a made up account (and still, probably a guy).

Also, the Name is what allows you to avoid people that just like to harass others. When you see BeiberFan773 and he annoys you, or won't leave you alone, you can either avoid or block the person. If they can change their name, you have no way of knowing it's that same annoying person, so you get duped into being around them again. If I don't like being around someone, I don't want them to be able to use the system to be able to come annoy me again. Once is all I should have to deal with them.

Your Name+Trophies = Identity. When you allow people to change the name, it just makes it a lot easier for people who like to deceive, harass, and generally annoy others.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretikewl View Post
    I know many people may be ok with it, but honestly, I like the fact that people are 'stuck' with the name they choose. I can usually tell a lot about a person by the name they chose, and the trophies they have.

Example: On Home, when you see a 'female' with a name like GangstaThug2010, you already know it's a guy. Or if you see another with SweetHoney449 and has 0% trophies, you know it's a made up account (and still, probably a guy).

Also, the Name is what allows you to avoid people that just like to harass others. When you see BeiberFan773 and he annoys you, or won't leave you alone, you can either avoid or block the person. If they can change their name, you have no way of knowing it's that same annoying person, so you get duped into being around them again. If I don't like being around someone, I don't want them to be able to use the system to be able to come annoy me again. Once is all I should have to deal with them.

Your Name+Trophies = Identity. When you allow people to change the name, it just makes it a lot easier for people who like to deceive, harass, and generally annoy others.
    I thought if you block someone, it effects all sub accounts also?

I was lead to believe it only changes display name. your actual PSN ID stays the same I though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretikewl View Post

Nope - how it works (at least in Japan for now) is that you have ONE fixed PSN ID which can not be changed under any circumstances and one "Screen Name" which you can choose as you're pleased. However, all the account transactions / operation (like messages, frend or block lists etc.) are still handled via original PSN ID and even at Home for example where you'd see the Screen name above person's avatar all you need to do is to check his / her account details and you'll always see the original PSN ID as well so even if someone will change the Screen ID you can still recognize them anyway

And - this is NOT subaccount - it's still the same (main or sub) account just the Screen name could be changed. The inital usage at Japan was to allow users to enter the user name in Kanji or Kana and then have an "English" Screen name as well.
    Last edited by GrandpaHomer; 08-02-2010 at 02:18 PM

See I'ld be fine with that. Let us change us screen names. Anyone know if they charge a fee to change your screen name in japan, or is it something like you have to have a subscription to a sony program to qualify?

Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaHomer View Post
    Nope - how it works (at least in Japan for now) is that you have ONE fixed PSN ID which can not be changed under any circumstances and one "Screen Name" which you can choose as you're pleased. However, all the account transactions / operation (like messages, frend or block lists etc.) are still handled via original PSN ID and even at Home for example where you'd see the Screen name above person's avatar all you need to do is to check his / her account details and you'll always see the original PSN ID as well so even if someone will change the Screen ID you can still recognize them anyway
    See, you kind of proved my point with what I was saying originally.

I understand now, that the PSN ID will always be the same. However, as you said, I would still have to take the time to check that person's PSN ID to even know if it was the same person or not, instead of just seeing the name and moving on.

This doesn't just apply to Home either. This could be for any type of online game. Say you're in a match in Fat Princess where some guy keeps sabotaging your castle with worker bombs. You decide you don't want to play with him again and leave any game he's in.

He takes the hint, then changes his screen name. Now I may be in another game with the same guy, but don't find it out until he starts blowing us up again...

Again, being able to change screen names just makes it easier for annoying people to be more annoying.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this, but mine remains the same. I don't think it's a good idea.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News