Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Rumor: PS3 US Shipments Now on the Verge of Being Seized

Sponsored Links
    As a follow-up to our previous article on PS3 EU shipments being seized as a result of an LG injunction, today GamersDailyNews.com (linked above) reports that PlayStation 3 US shipments are also be on the verge of being seized.

To quote: "In the US, the International Trade Commission has agreed to look into the matter. Four patents are included in complaint and they cover both the PS3 and certain Bravia televisions.

LG is asking to ban sale of the devices in the US market which could provide extremely detrimental to Sony’s bottom line. While this is most likely a scare tactic to get Sony to settle, their injunction win in the EU seems to have emboldened LG and seems there is some truth to their claims.

The ITC is known to take its time in getting round to things and this could see a decision in 16-18 months according to Foss Patents, who also alerted GDN to the ITC vote to look into the complaints. Thank you Florian.

According to [Register or Login to view links]: The ITC just announced that it voted to look into both complaints in one consolidated investigation. The new investigation number is 337-TA-764. As the ITC pointed out, this is just the launch of an investigation - not a decision on the merits of the complaints. The ITC previously also voted to investigate a Sony complaint against LG, as I reported a month ago. I haven’t seen any case in which a complaint lodged by one major company against another would have been dismissed at this early stage.

The USITC will make a final determination in the investigation at the earliest practicable time. Within 45 days after institution of the investigation, the USITC will set a target date for completing the investigation. USITC remedial orders in section 337 cases are effective when issued and become final 60 days after issuance unless disapproved for policy reasons by the U.S. Trade Representative within that 60-day period.

The filings cite the following companies: Sony Corporation of Japan, New York City-based Sony Corporation of America, and Sony Electronics, Inc. of San Diego, California.

The PS3 complaint also includes: Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. ("SCE") of Japan and Sony Computer Entertainment America, LLC ("SCEA") which are already under investigation by the ITC for patent infringement.

The two companies really seem to dislike each other as they are already fighting over smartphones that Sony alleged LG is using their patented tech in.

Florian Mueller states that the EU ban is only for the Netherlands, which is the main entry point for imports to the continent and that Sony could easily slip past it in his [Register or Login to view links] article.

Patent solicitor Michael Coyle, of law firm Lawdit, told the BBC, "It [LG] will have to pay an astonishing amount of money if a judge rules that its patent is invalid. When a firm seeks to have goods seized they make an undertaking to pay for storage and compensation."

Then again, if it is valid, Sony would have a hefty fee to pay as VGChartz estimates 48.2 million PS3s sold to date worldwide. That would be a lot of backed up royalties to have to pay. I couldn’t find any numbers of sales for the Bravia televisions. Sooner or later the companies will probably settle this with one paying the other some fairly large amount of money. Since Sony is suing LG over smartphones they might get a smaller settlement for that and end up paying LG if all the patents hold up. LG sold 7 million smartphones in 2010 and 4 million in 2009 according to [Register or Login to view links]."

Rumor: PS3 US Shipments Now on the Verge of Being Seized

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Promoted to the main page now, and +Rep for the news condorstrike.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    UM...? LULZ. Yea that's the word..

I hope it happens, at this point I don't care about Sony at all anymore lol.

I too hope this happens, in my opinion the PS3 WAS a good system, but Sony kept chipping away at it and now I am happy playing games on my 360, the question on my mind is how did Sony turn me, a guy who argued in favor on Blu-ray during the format war, spoke to people about the greatness of the PS3, to being some that looks down on it, and finds it distasteful how it's being used.

If Sony doesn't change their ways I'll be avoiding the PS4.

You know a company is seriously doing something wrong when their customers (& former customers) are wishing doom upon them.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Cyrus View Post
    You know a company is seriously doing something wrong when their customers (& former customers) are wishing doom upon them.
    agree with your statement 100%.

If the US shipments are seized then LG can do more damage then hackers ever could, nice on picking your battles and I hope your legal staff explodes from the awesome that is Karma.

Maybe they will knock some sense into Sony.

Ha Ha Sony! I hope your wallets are becoming much lighter lately. You sue Geohot and the gang. Next, you go after graf. Now, you're getting some spit back in your face. Poor Sony!

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News