Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Rumor: PS2 Software Emulator Coming to Sony's PlayStation 3

Sponsored Links
    To compliment an article from earlier today, a member of NeoGAF known as mephesta [Register or Login to view links] he was told by a Sony rep that they may be eventually be putting out a PS2 emulator for the PlayStation 3 console.

Apparently, as the PS2 has about one year left on its life cycle, we shouldn't expect Sony to develop anything new with regards to backwards compatibility.. and they will just go out and get a PS2 emulator to put in future consoles.

To quote: The rumor comes from NeoGAF member Meph who recounts what was told to him by a Sony representative (openly described as a 'tool'). The story goes that Sony might be willing to buy a PlayStation 2 emulator for the future.

"He mentioned that since the PS2 has just 1 year left on its life-cycle not to expect them to develop anything new with regards to backwards compatibility," says Meph.

"He then leans in and lowers his voice, as if to tell me some deep dark secret and mentions that Sony may be willing to potentially buy a PS2 emulator to put in future consoles."

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    buy a ps2 emulator... buy from who?!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    exactly... from who... I also do not understand that part...

Maybe they were talking about PCSX2 and converting it to PS3 app

Doesn't sound very sony like to me.

I mean they would basically be admitting that someone knows their own platform better than them.
    I would think that the best emulator for a platform would have been an inhouse one... but i guess we'll see.

This has to be the worst rumor or at least half of it ive heard. Sony has a great emulator running already in the ps3(at least us the 80gb old models) for the ps2. The only thing sony has to do is make it available to all ps3 with a firmware upgrade or make it a buyable option out of the psn store.

I really dont care if they actually give the ps3 owners a ps2 emulator I only care if they start selling ps2 games on the psn store, thats the only reason that im exited because I already have that emulator running and everything ive played has worked fully. Also theres a couple of ps2 emulators that only need a little tweaking to work 100% but again what for if they already got emulation running pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianc1982 View Post
    This has to be the worst rumor or at least half of it ive heard. Sony has a great emulator running already in the ps3(at least us the 80gb old models) for the ps2. The only thing sony has to do is make it available to all ps3 with a firmware upgrade or make it a buyable option out of the psn store.
    They are talking about a full software PS2 emulator that runs on all PS3 systems across the board. The 20/60GB PS3s basically had an entire PS2 in them. The 80GB PS3 dropped the PS2 CPU for software emulation but kept the PS2 GPU on board. The 40GB has neither and thus would need full software emulation.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelae View Post
    They are talking about a full software PS2 emulator that runs on all PS3 systems across the board. The 20/60GB PS3s basically had an entire PS2 in them. The 80GB PS3 dropped the PS2 CPU for software emulation but kept the PS2 GPU on board. The 40GB has neither and thus would need full software emulation.
    As far as i know since the 80gb model the emulation was full software, no gpu or other ps2 part onboard. so the only difference between 80 and 40 should be only in the access of the system to the emulation side of the firmware. could be interesting to know if a debug console can play ps1/2 games as native or via debug tools (hidden in the retail consoles)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelae View Post
    Wrong there, the old 80gb model and the new 40 and 80gb models are the exact same machines only different software or firmware on them. Sony already has the emulator no need to get a new one, just sell the existing one through psn store and lets end this nightmare and have some titles on the psn store.

Quote Originally Posted by mateuszss View Post
    Maybe they were talking about PCSX2 and converting it to PS3 app
    Which would be pointless, unfortunately. Whoever said this "buy a PS2 emulator" thing originally didn't know what they were talking about. To get a PS2 emulator to run on a PS3, it would need to be built for the Cell, not the Intel-type chips. The PS2's hardware was pretty unusual from what I understand, specialized and hard to emulate well. Getting it to run fast requires clever coding tuned to the underlying hardware.

Only Sony (or possibly a studio that had done a lot of professional PS2 and PS3 development) could write a workable software-only PS2 emulator for the PS3.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News