Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Rumor: PlayStation 4 (PS4) Developer Kits Shipping, AMD A10 Based

Sponsored Links
    Following up on the previous PlayStation 4 rumors, today VG247 (linked above) reports that Sony's PlayStation 4 (PS4) developer kits are now shipping and utilize the AMD A10 series as a base.

Below are the details, to quote: "Developers are currently taking receipt of a new PlayStation 4 dev kit, VG247 has been told today, with a final version slated to appear in January. Yes, it’ll have Blu-ray. No, it isn’t being made in Japan.

Multiple sources have confirmed to VG247 today that a new version of the Orbis kit is now shipping to developers, and that it’s housed in a normal PC case.

There are to be four versions of the dev kit, we were told. A previous version was essentially just a graphics card. The version shipping now is a “modified PC,” and the third version, appearing in January, will be close to final spec. A final version will be delivered to developers “next summer”.

Some US developers attended a “disclosure meeting” at Sony’s offices this week, with a further meeting to take place in the coming weeks. The purpose of the meeting is for Sony to tell studios what the machine is designed to do, to detail hardware and to show a set of presentations.

Our source told us that Sony is only calling the machine Orbis, and is not using the words “PlayStation 4″ in these meetings at all.

Orbis, we were told today, is based on the AMD’s A10 APU series. An APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) is a combined CPU and GPU.

PS4′s APU was described today as a “derivative” of existing A10 hardware. The hardware is “based on A10 system and base platform”.

The “ultimate goal” for the hardware, we were told, is for it to be able to run 1080p60 games in 3D with “no problem,” to create a machine that’s powerful enough for “today and tomorrow’s market”.

The dev kits have “either 8Gb or 16Gb of RAM. Deduce from that what you will.” The hardware is not being made in Japan, it was said.

When asked if PS4 will have an optical drive, specifically Blu-ray, our source responded: “Of course it has.” We’ve been told the hard drive will be 256Gb “as standard,” but it’s not clear if it’ll be a normal HDD or a solid state drive.

We were told that Sony’s aim with Orbis is to avoid problems involved in launching PS3 by creating something “very affordable” but that “isn’t a slouch”.

The machine has WiFi and Ethernet connectivity and HDMI out. Our source said the was “no difference” between PlayStation 3 and Orbis input/output.

The UI, however, has been revamped. It was said today that players will now be able to press the PS button mid-game and travel “anywhere” on the system. An example given was buying DLC from the PS Store mid-game then seamlessly returning to play.

“They’re trying to make it as fluid as possible,” our source said.

We were also told that the machine will be designed to accept system and product updates in the background, and that it’ll “always be in standby mode”. When you set the console up, we were told, you’ll be asked if you want to allow background downloads. You can, of course, disallow them.

No details have been given on the pad as yet. Confirmation is expected this month. Orbis is expected to be announced at an event “just before E3″ next year."

Rumor: PlayStation 4 (PS4) Developer Kits Shipping, AMD A10 Based

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I think they will launch it in next winter and only 60fps is not enough there are pc's which can run games on higher fps. It would be awesome if they include 4k resolution. I am glad its in development state.. they can add many new fascinating features.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Woah, this actually looks really sexy I'm really liking the sound of this, looks like I'm gonna have all of the eighth gen consoles too . I won't be getting the next xbox, though, that's for sure. (Unless Microsoft starts getting Rare to do more then make the avatars again )

yep both the next box and playstation should be out next winter i'd wager...

some interesting an revealing months are ahead!

In case anyone is wondering, the pic used in the article is just one of those generic PlayStation 4 concept pictures (more here) someone made as far as I'm aware... not an actual PS4 picture. I found it a few months back and saved it for our next PS4 article.

Sounds like the rumors (are they even rumors? Seeing a LOT of coverage of this so I think it's definitely real) say the dev units are PC towers which makes plenty of sense to keep down costs (the final unit ALWAYS differs from the early dev units - remember the monstrosities that were the original PS3 dev units? Bigger than my desk!)

all i can say is i am a sony fan boy never even touched xbox but they better have s damn fine product for me to buy it. the appauling way the treat there customers etc.

And the appalling way they treat their developers.. They pretty much killed Rare - they used to make fantastic, instant classics ("The Beatles of video games") such as Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark, and Banjo Kazooie, and now Microsoft just has them making avatars, pfft. I'm no fanboy either as you are, I'm an all around gamer and love my 3DS, gaming PC, and Vita.

But I can't think of one reason to buy an xbox, Microsoft doesn't even have IPs, while Nintendo and Sony have games like Heavy Rain, LittleBigPlanet, Mario, Zelda, etc. What does Microsoft have? Uh.. Gears of War? Which is a terrible game anyways..

/rant over. Sorry about that, just had to agree with you there with a rant.. It needs to be known how much I hate Xbox/Microsoft.

Lets hope there will be an Other OS function in PS4.

Kinda loved the effort sony was putting into PS3 i mean developing the CELL chip and the ability to daisy chain a couple of machines.
    Oh and i really REALLY hope they box it together with their head-mounted 3D visor.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Brian10122 View Post
    But I can't think of one reason to buy an xbox, Microsoft doesn't even have IPs, while Nintendo and Sony have games like Heavy Rain, LittleBigPlanet, Mario, Zelda, etc. What does Microsoft have? Uh.. Gears of War? Which is a terrible game anyways..
    You forgot Halo, Forza, Crackdown, Fable, Alan Wake and Kinect titles, Brian

There are plenty of lesser known XBox360 exclusives, but I know you're interested in A-list titles.

-Erich

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News