Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by edwardecl View Post
    But why are Sony choosing X86 over ARM? The fact that Sony is changing architectures so much recently must really annoy developers...

PS1 = MIPS
    PS2 = MIPS
    PSP = MIPS
    PS3 = CELL/PPC
    VITA = ARM
    PS4 = X86 ?!?

If it's ever modded at least you should be able to play some PC and some old Xbox games... and have outdated inefficient architecture.
    Are you implying that a CPU, just by being x86 based is inferior to a MIPS, CELL or ARM (LOL!!!) CPU? You must be joking. We can only dream of having a console with a high end i7 CPU.

crap console, that is if these specs are true. And no used games means I wont buy it because I only buy used games for consoles unless they are on sale and cheap. Also I hate online gaming in any form. I find it boring as hell. This possible console sounds like a complete waste of money and time. I also dislike the move controller.

I prefer a keyboard and mouse fist and second a ps3 duel shock controller even though the rumble is weak compared to its PS2 predecessor. looks like they want to go out of business so badly they actually created an intricate Sega like corporate end game. Why not just file for bankruptcy and avoid such an epic embarrassment.

$sony just don't get it. So focused on lock down control, and not their users. No interest in PS4 or a Wii U, can't believe my only hope is Msoft now? Maybe time to get my 1st xbox if they dont do the same Sony power trip.

I agree big time but i can only imagine how f'ed up it would be for them if they get into x86/x64 architecture... i'll list a couple pros and cons that come to mind

Pros
    - much bigger developer base, despite the obnoxious architecture switches means more games/apps = more money
    - cheaper to build = more money

Cons
    - absolutely no control, you'd be able to drop PS4OS on practically any x86 platform... exactly like hackintoshes = less money

obviously, this tactic would mean more money to try to maintain control, like suing players and banninb campaigns and other BS
    my 2 cents

feel free to add more lol

x86 / x64 would not be bad. makes it very easy to develop for the console and cheaper so games can be experimented with more to get new ip's. xbox was x86 and i dont see those games on pc so i think its safe.

Video: PlayStation 4 (PS4) Developer Kits Version 2 Surface at IGN

Following up on the previous rumor and PS4 (Orbis) details, IGN has shared some video footage and details on Version 2 of the PlayStation 4 (PS4) Developer Kits below.

According to their source, a new version 2 of the PlayStation 4 dev kit is currently being distributed to developers with the final version expected next year.

To quote from their page (linked above): Anonymous sources have reportedly told http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/01/ps4_details_playstation_4/ that new versions of the Orbis kit are winging their way to developers, replete with Blu-ray support and housed in the humble cases of normal PCs.

This is apparently the second iteration of the dev kit; the first, which appeared earlier this year, was in essence just a graphics card, while this version is now a "modified PC". The report asserts that the next update will come in January, when it'll be close to final specifications, with the ultimate version landing with devs next summer.

The shipping of the Orbis kit apparently follows a series of meetings held by Sony in the US this week, where the company explained what the machine was designed to do and how to get the most out of it. Interestingly, at these meetings it's been claimed that Sony didn't refer to the machine as "the PlayStation 4" at all, instead opting to use the "Orbis" title at all times.

The dev kits are apparently based on the AMD’s A10 APU series and come with either 8GB or 16GB of RAM, as well as the Blu-ray drive already mentioned and a 256GB hard drive as standard. This is to ensure that the console will be able to run 1080p60 games in 3D.

The Orbis kits have both Wi-Fi and Ethernet connectivity, as well as HDMI out slots; so pretty much exactly what you'd expect to find on your current PlayStation 3. However, the big reported difference comes with the UI, which has been designed to be more fluid and allow extensive navigation anywhere on the system simply by pressing the PS button mid-game. This was demoed to the assembled masses by purchasing DLC from the PS Store without quitting the game.

No details were leaked about the system's controller. IGN reached out to Sony for comment, but were told the company "doesn't comment on rumor and speculation."

Video:  PlayStation 4 (PS4) Developer Kits Version 2 Surface at IGN

Video:  PlayStation 4 (PS4) Developer Kits Version 2 Surface at IGN

More PlayStation 3 News...

Cheers for the video update oVERSoLDiER and +Rep! I was gonna add it to the previous article as it's from last month, but we never did an article on the PS4 Dev Kit Version 2 so I decided to do a new one on it.

Looking forward to PlayStation 4, soon we will have to open a forum section dedicated for PS4 news.. well, early next year anyway!

My PS3 died a few weeks ago (YLoD) and instead of blowing my money on a new system I can't hack, or paying Sony 150$ for a refurbished unit that is likely to fail again within months, I think I'll hold it out on PC and wait for the Playstation Orbis to hit.

It's a little late in the game to invest a lot of money on a new PS3 system.

Get a used slim for 150-200 bucks

Since it is not backward compatibility PS3 for PS4 anyway. I wont buy it until there are games that I really want to play at first. Right now, I am fine with PS3 and Wii and soon to be Wii U (Problem is I am watching for 3rd party at least 2 years from now to be safe for my money sake. I dont want to waste my money to their profits for nothing.)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast