Rumor: ITV Player May Come to PS3, in Discussions with Sony

Update: Sony has officially announced the ITV Player will be heading to PS3 today at GamesCom 2010, and will offer new channels including Yahoo 7 (Australia), ITV, Animax and NOS YLE Areena.

Today Made2Game.com (linked above) reports that the ITV Player may be coming to PS3, and ITV are currently in discussions with Sony about the possible launch.

For those unaware, ITV is a public service network of British commercial television broadcasters, set up under the Independent Television Authority (ITA) to provide competition to the BBC.

ITV is the oldest commercial television network in the UK, having begun broadcasting in 1955.

To quote from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/7814739/ITV-is-in-talks-with-Apple-Blackberry-and-Google-about-launching-first-UK-TV-catch-up-app.html:

"ITV is also understood to be in discussions with Sony about launching ITV Player on the PS3 games console, according to the same source. The service would be streamed and advertising supported. It is hoping to launch on this platform also by the beginning of September.

Nintendo's Wii platform will not allow advertising and Microsoft's Xbox does not allow free content as it charges for all web content via its Xbox Live platform."

Rumor: ITV Player May Come to PS3, in Discussions with Sony

More PlayStation 3 News...

well this won't effect me since this would be in England correct?

I would assume so, however, you know what they say when you ASSuME... so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Indeed i would love too see the ps3 get more third party content like this, It seems like the UK and Europe get all of the good stuff like vidzone while USA is left out.

i think once the USA becomes the North American Union (USA, Canada & Mexico) & we start using the "Amero" then we can be cool & get this stuff.

(god help us if the USA become a lousy union like the EU, & soon to be the Asian union & African union... that would make 4 unions in total, & 1 steop closer to a 1 world govt...

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by enohand View Post
    (god help us if the USA become a lousy union like the EU, & soon to be the Asian union & African union... that would make 4 unions in total, & 1 steop closer to a 1 world govt...
    To be fair, the USA alone is a "lousy union", only it's a union of states instead of counties - >United States< of America.
    And $ony don't give a damn about eu, they just support a selected few country.