Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Reports of PS3 Firmware 3.0 Locking Out Knock-off Controllers

Well, here's a bit of a curious situation... as http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/02/firmware-3-00-blamed-for-malfunctioning-ps3-controllers/ reports, it wasn't long after the PS3 Firmware 3.0 went live that the first reports of problems started cropping up.

One particularly nagging issue being that some controllers (specifically the CECHZC2H Ceramic White DualShock3) seemed to be locked out of the console once the update was installed.

To quote: After hashing it out a bit on the official PlayStation 3 forum, however, users apparently determined that the controllers in question were in fact knock-offs and not official Sony product, which raises some different but just as interesting questions.

Namely, is Sony locking the knock-offs out on purpose, or is firmware 3.0 just too much for them to handle? For its part, Sony doesn't seem to be saying anything on the matter just yet.

Reports of PS3 Firmware 3.0 Locking Out Knock-off Controllers

More PlayStation 3 News...

Does anyone have one of these? Does it work when connected via cable?

That's kinda scarey as I almost bought one of those, but changed my mind when Amazon put them on sale (plus I had a $10 off coupon) which made it cheaper to buy from there.

Unhappy

nope not even with a usb cable does it work, but its a sigh of relief to know it was the update causing this and not the system itself. that's what you get for trying to save a couple of bucks..

i've got a feeling sony will fix this soon, along with the other issues 3.0 seems to have caused..

Not that i am an advocate of sony (nor against them) but if they lock them out I would like to think they had good reason - possible inferior components that may cause some sort of malfunction; based on what firmware 3.0 does though, i highly doubt that to be the case and rather Sony did this because they are Sony and dont approve of unauthorized devices, still would be nice to think they did it to protect the quality of the system lol

Well lucky me!! I tried my ceramic white controller and it works perfectly fine with my new ps3 slim with 3.0 update installed

I have had no problems with my white one, but my code ends in C2J Dualshock think it was a jap import.

i have a white dualshock 3 imported from japan and i think its code is...

CECHZC2H, which is odd cause apparently thats the one with issues and i havent had any.

Splitfish Mouse v1 checking in, working.

Uh? I was going to get one of these, but reading this now, I'm not sure. I'm also having problems with Uncharted, I'm on my Crushing walkthrough and it freezes from time to time. Anyone else?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast