Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

QPACE Supercomputer with PS3-based Processor Tops Green List

Sponsored Links
    QPACE, the supercomputer at [Register or Login to view links] and the University of Wuppertal, is now deemed the world's most energy efficient supercomputer on the [Register or Login to view links].

The Green500 List ranks the energy efficiency of supercomputers around the world.

To quote: "The QPACEs Intel PowerXCell processors are an enhancement of the Cell/B.E. processor, originally developed by Sony, Toshiba and IBM for Sony's PlayStation 3 console.

QPACE (Quantum chromodynamics Parallel Computing on the Cell) is being used to simulate forces in elementary particle physics, especially in the research area of quantum chromodynamics, which describes such things as how a proton is made up out of quarks and gluons.

It consists of four racks at Research Center Jülich and four at the University of Wuppertal. Each of the QPACE installations has a top performance of 100 TeraFlops, equal to 100 trillion floating point operations per second. The supercomputer runs a standard Fedora Linux distro OS.

Each rack in QPACE contains 256 IBM PowerXCell 8i nine-core processors and 1 Terabyte storage, and uses 30 kilowatts of power."

QPACE Supercomputer with PS3-based Processor Tops Green List

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Sounds good but why is Intel making them?

Sponsored Links
    30 KWH/rack, sounds a little high for it to be considered green at a first glance doesn't it? If a normal computer uses about 500W and you had 60 computers, then you would have the same amount of power consumption (.500W*60=30,000W). At a rate of 15 cents per KWH, and if the system was running 24/7 for a month, the system would cost about $3,240 in electricity (30KWH*24hours*30days*$0.15).

But I guess containing 256 processors with 9 cores a piece in a rack changes how everything looks as being green. With the somewhat low power consumption for a normal home computer mentioned above, would cost $13,824.00 monthly for 256 computers and most likely could no keep up with the Cell/B.E. processors.

One thing I find strange is how Intel is building these supercomputers with the IBM based processor technology, and how IBM has decided to abandon the Cell architecture.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Nice - that's what i need, wonder how much they are and where i can get one! hehe

We should have a collection to buy one (PS3NEWS - you got a paypal account?!), then set it running against the PS3 signing

But i doubt we'd collect anywhere near enough to get one of these bad boys!

5 Years and i'll have one of these in my pocket and will just refer to it as my POS mobile phone. lol

Quote Originally Posted by PSPSwampy View Post
    Nice - that's what i need, wonder how much they are and where i can get one! hehe

We should have a collection to buy one (PS3NEWS - you got a paypal account?!), then set it running against the PS3 signing

But i doubt we'd collect anywhere near enough to get one of these bad boys!

5 Years and i'll have one of these in my pocket and will just refer to it as my POS mobile phone. lol
    Sounds like dreaming to me.. lol.. hehe.. but it sure would be nice to have one.. imagine the stuff a person would be able to do with that bad puppy...

Geohot just tweeted (yes i still follow the guy) something about 26million SHA hashes/sec on a 8600gt. Anyone considered using GPUs to tackle the task or are SHA hashes (whatever they are) a hell of a lot weaker than what the ps3 has.

The figure given was something like 2 million/sec when the discussion was going on.

I wish I could afford to pay the electricity bill that one of those clusters would cost to run for a month!

Quote Originally Posted by Poopsqueege View Post
    30 KWH/rack, sounds a little high for it to be considered green at a first glance doesn't it? If a normal computer uses about 500W and you had 60 computers, then you would have the same amount of power consumption (.500W*60=30,000W). At a rate of 15 cents per KWH, and if the system was running 24/7 for a month, the system would cost about $3,240 in electricity (30KWH*24hours*30days*$0.15).

But I guess containing 256 processors with 9 cores a piece in a rack changes how everything looks as being green. With the somewhat low power consumption for a normal home computer mentioned above, would cost $13,824.00 monthly for 256 computers and most likely could no keep up with the Cell/B.E. processors.

One thing I find strange is how Intel is building these supercomputers with the IBM based processor technology, and how IBM has decided to abandon the Cell architecture.
    To say that 30 KWH/rack is high first you have to know how much others sc doing, maybe is 60 or 120, i don't really know...

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News