Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

look, now i'm no super genius (or are i?) but aren't we all forgetting the old xbox? that had the ability to boot games that weren't iso's - they were the folders, now i know this is a whole different set up with the ps3 but shouldn't we be looking down that road? extract the iso's with brdgen and then copy the folder into the /games/ folder? i'm just thinking out loud, i don't know how to do it but then we would get past the file size limit problem....

just thinking out loud....

Duff Man

Is there anyone who knows much about the PS2 side of the PS3, e.g. does the PS3 emulate PS2 (hardware/software), is there access to the gpu/kernal/xmb, how this guy has got this running (technically) and if it will possibly lead to anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Keyonn View Post
    if u ask me ELF is like the SLUS on a disc get it to load ps2menu then pop the burnt ps2 game in go to the CD thru psmenu and click on the SLUS file and it might work i used to do it with the dvdrips with no mod and funny enough it would load but freeze cuz the 80minute crap i posted this a while back.
    Doesn´t work. PS2menu doesn´t load but even if it did it wouldn´t recognize the backup after you hit the eject button. We can already run some ps2 elfs with swapmagic but this is attempting to get other ps2 homebrew to work, that´s not working on the ps3.

I´m pretty positive it does.

Since you brought it up I´going to share some info I´ve been holding on to. Now it´s already been known that launch.elf and ulanch.elf work, and that you can use the method you described to launch original ps2 games. Not much use for you guys with the EE chip but us pal systems have a backwards compatibility check. using this tecnique lets you BYPASS the backwards compatibilty check. So everyone can decide if the game is compatible or not. do your own beta testing, lol I wish I had known when I still had 1.5 because SM 3.8 coder cd worked.

Method to bypass Backward Compatibility check.

If you have SM 3.8
    Name the SLUS file to SMBOOT0.ELF and put it in a folder called SWAPMAGIC in the root of your pendrive. Put the pen in one of the 1st 2 usb slots and start swapmagic. once it loads go to smboot in the menu. hit eject and switch with the original. it will load bypassing the check.

SM 3.6 plus
    samething as above but since sm 3.6 dosn´t have the boot option in the menu you have to hit the hotkeys.
    Once SM has booted up and you have switched with the original hit D-Pad (UP) and L1

you could also boot launchelf or ulaunch.elf 1st and then boot up the game. Now this doesn´t mean all games are playable (there´s a reason it´s not on the BC list) but it will pass the check.

Just tried this method and it works! nice!; however i have a theory. What if you were to connect a external usb hdd to the ps3 and put all the files from a ps2 game in the SWAPMAGIC folder (Bin, data, irx) and re-name the SLUS/SLES file to SMBOOT0.ELF; edit the SYSTEM.CNF so that it will boot from the external usb hdd instead of the disk. That way when you load the SMBOOT.ELF (SLES file) with SwapMagic it will load from the external hdd rather than the disk.

You could maybe even replace the SwapMagic disk with a real ps2 game with a similar toc size as the game that is being booted from the external usb hdd so that it will bypass the disk check..maybe?

I would try this myslef but i dont know how to edit the system.cnf correctly plus its just a random theory i dont know much about this; so sorry if i am talking rubbish!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12