Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    i want to comment on the 20% yield statement. I read somewhere, and if i could remember the source i would provide it, that on the first run of a new computer chip 20 to 30% yield is actually pretty good. now two to three years in [after they switch to 65nm] if it is still 30% things might need to be looked at a little more closely. From what i can tell even with a 20% yeild they are making enough chips for ps3 and the new CBE servers and other such things so i'm not too worried.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by xaolin
    Being #1 on the list doesn't actually guarantee you a PS3 on launch day. That just means you'll get one. If everything happens like the 360, be prepared for a long night outside to make sure you get your preorder or else some other guy with a preorder will get there first.

And to WOWChamp, my local Target got 14 360 consoles, not 3, with M$ launching 300,000 consoles. So 1million for the U.S. will probably get 20 each at most.

More than 3 PS3's for sure. Retailers like Gamestop and EB are estimating at least 20 per store. My local Target got 14 360's on launch day with 300,000 consoles being released. So 1million PS3's will get everyone basically a PS3 if they plan their purchase correctly.

Don't trust preorders at EB or Gamestop, because you might not get a PS3 and they most likely come in bundles. That's $600+
    I knew everyone who works at that Gamestop, plus I'm going to stop next door at Subway and get a huge sandwich platter for everyone (midnight pick up is fine with me)

There is no pre-order list at Gamestop for the PS3 until mid-September, but because of what happened with the XB360 I pre-ordered at Gamestop, they are doing this for me.
    Last edited by NiNJA; 07-30-2006 at 07:21 AM

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by WOWchamp
    That depends if or not ICT is ever implemented (which it will be, because pirates will never go away).

The only thing I said was that if you even wanted one of the features in the 60GB version then it was worth the 100$. I hate the idea of wiring up all those extra devices to my console, and at some point you may have use for more of them then you think.

HDD space is pretty irelavent though, sure it will give you more room for saves and downloads... but if it ever gets to the point where we can run Blu-Ray .Iso's from the PS3 that hard drive wont get you far when 2 single or 1 double layer games will fill it. I think this time though, sony probably went further with the hinderance of upgrading the hard drive to a bigger one. Plus using 2.5" HDD's will make it more expensive. Upon a quick search, the biggest 2.5" HDD newegg has ATM is 160GB and costs about 210$... thats still only 6 single layer games or 3 dual layers. Forget about running .iso's at all on the 499$ version of the PS3.
    Most likely yes, but the usb ports and/or bluetooth could eventually be utilized for additional storage

Quote Originally Posted by jerrt
    i want to comment on the 20% yield statement. I read somewhere, and if i could remember the source i would provide it, that on the first run of a new computer chip 20 to 30% yield is actually pretty good. now two to three years in [after they switch to 65nm] if it is still 30% things might need to be looked at a little more closely. From what i can tell even with a 20% yeild they are making enough chips for ps3 and the new CBE servers and other such things so i'm not too worried.
    I see. The PS3 is launching in 3 months, will that number be higher then 30% by then? If not, what in the world is Sony going to do...swap out PS3s for defective cores?
    Last edited by NiNJA; 07-30-2006 at 07:27 AM

The 20% yeild thing means that if they make 100 CPU's that only 20 will be useable. That means they throw away/destroy the other 80 and slap the 20 functioning ones into PS3's.

On a side note, does ordering one online gaurentee you getting one on launch day????

Quote Originally Posted by WOWchamp
    The 20% yeild thing means that if they make 100 CPU's that only 20 will be useable. That means they throw away/destroy the other 80 and slap the 20 functioning ones into PS3's.

On a side note, does ordering one online gaurentee you getting one on launch day????
    After the fiasco I went through with the XB360, chances are that the first 3-5 people who order it, will get it, after that, expect to wait

I really don't think that major retailers, either online or in the actual store, will get more then about 5-10 PS3s this November. Then again I could be wrong.
    Last edited by NiNJA; 07-31-2006 at 03:45 AM

I wouldn't trust any online pre-orders, no matter how much of a guarantee they seem to offer. Either camp out in the cold, move down south and camp out in the heat, or wait a few weeks and let them fix the defects in the first units.

well, i'm actually a fan of the 150 deposit that will be required according to some sources. That means ony serious peeps will get to put a deposit on one. Also there wont be people buying two on their credit card, keeping one, selling the other on ebay and getting enough from that to pay for both... like the 360

Quote Originally Posted by nai
    well, i'm actually a fan of the 150 deposit that will be required according to some sources. That means ony serious peeps will get to put a deposit on one. Also there wont be people buying two on their credit card, keeping one, selling the other on ebay and getting enough from that to pay for both... like the 360
    Unfortunately, pre-ordering a system doesn't guarantee anything (I should know). As far as the eBAY thing, it's bound to happen: supply and demand

I just can't wait to see the look on everyone's face when PS3 kicks Xbox360 in it's non-existent nuts.

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News