Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

PS3 Update Checker v1 (Firmware Auto-Downloader) Available

Update: PS3 Update Checker v1.1 is now available with a changelog HERE.

Further to the recent 2.70 firmware release that quickly disappeared, I've written a little app which may help out if the same thing happens again...

PS3 Update Checker v1 is a very basic tool to do just this on a windows PC with .NET framework 3.5 installed.

Download: PS3 Update Checker v1 (Firmware Auto-Downloader)

Instructions:-
    1. Make sure you have .NET framework 3.5 installed and are using a PC! (Not Mac, PS3, PSP or anything else!)
    2. Run PS3UpdateChecker.exe
    (Feel free to virus check etc, but you will need to allow this through any firewall otherwise you'll never get your downloads!)
    3. Enter the relevant URL for the ps3-updatelist.txt file for your region.

e.g. http://feu01.ps3.update.playstation....updatelist.txt

4. Enter a path where you would like any downloads to go.
    5. Enter a starting firmware number (this should generally be the current latest firmware number, but you can test downloads by entering an old number!)
    6. Tick the "Check on Timer" box (default will check every 30 secs, but this can be changed too if you want).
    7. Leave it running

Assuming you've ticked the timer box, it will automatically get the latest ps3-updatelist.txt file and check the software version against the version numeber you've provided - if the .txt file shows a newer firmware is available the util will automatically switch to downloading the PS3UPDAT.PUP (Naming it x.x_PS3UPDAT.PUP where x.x is the firmware version of the file)

Please note that this quick code and while i've tried to prevent any bugs, it is possible that some may exist. Please also note that this is coded for an ENGLISH PC and while it may work in other language sets, it is possible that you may experience problems.

Known issues:-
    1. Pausing / Resuming can sometimes 'hang' the application - the solution to this is to right click on the application's tool bar button - very strange bug that i've not been able to iron out just yet.
    2. I'm not entirely sure that the bandwidth calcs are correct, but since it's not a major issue this is being overlooked for now!

Compatibility:-
    Unknown - written and tested on Windows XP SP3 cannot guarentee it'll work on anything else, but don't see why it wouldn't given sufficient permissions.

Please report any bugs with as much detail as possible, but note that I like others do not have a large amount of time to spend on this.

Enjoy,

PSPSwampy.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Quote Originally Posted by PSPSwampy View Post
    Further to the recent 2.70 firmware release that quickly disappeared, I've written a little app which may help out if the same thing happens again...
    Very nice for this reason alone.. Great job PSPSwampy and +Rep!

Superb, PSPSwampy. I've tested on XP SP2, works 100%!!!

Very nice indeed. I see one flaw however. The PS3 generally downloads faster then the PC, So this might not work if someone has a slow PC or anything.

However it's still very helpful, and will make Hacking the PS3 a little easier REP+

Thanks for making this program, PSPSwampy. It works fine on my pc (xp sp3)..

Thanks PSPSwampy - Works great under Vista Home Premium w/ SP2 - 32bit version Added to Start up Folder :P

Banned User
    Don't get me wrong, but it's a pretty useless app...

I know there is a PS Store where only currently developed projects are hosted for testing purpose.. Maybe using that path will be more useful.

Anyway for the end user flashing a untested firmware is a much greater risk so I do not recommend using this app!

Tell us the link to this "PS-Store"

Quote Originally Posted by mihaiolimpiu View Post

I know there is a PS Store where only currently developed projects are hosted for testing purpose.. Maybe using that path will be more useful.

Anyway for the end user flashing a untested firmware is a much greater risk so I do not recommend using this app!
    Can i ask what you are on about? If you download from the Playstation Download link that it would pick up, the PS3 will do hash/crc checks to ensure the PUP is untouched and not corrupted; this is how alot of PS3 users update, not always through the Playstation itself.. i mean if i grab the PS3 Update on my pc, i use a download manager, and set it to have a few streams; to maximise bandwidth :P

Quote Originally Posted by mihaiolimpiu View Post

Everyone is supposed to understand that this tool is more usefull for devers (it's not the 1st update that sony take down cause of bugs in the firmware released). It's not for regular download of firmware and we understood it.

But what you state is interesting if you know the adress of the Ps Store you state. I swear you can post more information about this, THIS will be interesting

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast