Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PS3 not actually in production?!

So According to alot of sites, back in July Asustek had started to produce and ship PS3 units to Sony so that they would have enough units come time to sell them to clients in November... (See: Xbit Labs, Gaming Horizon, i4u, Forbes )

But apparently this was a bit premature and well... FALSE. According to the big cheese over at Sony (Kaz Hirai) when he did an interview with GameSpot this week, he mentions that the PS3 hasnt entered the manufacturing phase to date.

GS: So is the PS3 already being manufactured?

KH: We haven't started manufacturing yet. Some of our ops guys were actually just in China, and also in Japan just reviewing the [production] lines and everything else. But they are, again, preparing as we speak to get the manufacturing going. We've not announced and we haven't set really a specific date to say, "As of this day we're going to start manufacturing."

So lets's just clear something up here, it's 3 months to launch and NO PRODUCTION HAS BEGUN??? Am i the only one that finds this odd? Or am i greatly misunderstanding something here?
    Source: http://www.nextechnews.com/ct.ashx?id=b6ecb968-c417-44e6-8ef5-57142e25de5e&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.gamespot.com%2fnews%2f6156046.html%3ftag%3dlatestnews%3btitle%3b0

well, if this is true, the next few months should make for an interesting time in sony and the video game industry!

i guess you cant edit the title of the post...
    Last edited by MKE; 08-19-2006 at 12:01 AM

Interesting indeed....

I dont know how they plan to launch with 2 million units and have yet to begin produceing them just under 3 months from launch date.

If this is true or not, however, is also worth thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by MKE View Post
    So According to alot of sites, back in July Asustek had started to produce and ship PS3 units to Sony so that they would have enough units come time to sell them to clients in November... (See: Xbit Labs, Gaming Horizon, i4u, Forbes )

But apparently this was a bit premature and well... FALSE. According to the big cheese over at Sony (Kaz Hirai) when he did an interview with GameSpot this week, he mentions that the PS3 hasnt entered the manufacturing phase to date.

GS: So is the PS3 already being manufactured?

KH: We haven't started manufacturing yet. Some of our ops guys were actually just in China, and also in Japan just reviewing the [production] lines and everything else. But they are, again, preparing as we speak to get the manufacturing going. We've not announced and we haven't set really a specific date to say, "As of this day we're going to start manufacturing."

So lets's just clear something up here, it's 3 months to launch and NO PRODUCTION HAS BEGUN??? Am i the only one that finds this odd? Or am i greatly misunderstanding something here?
    Source: http://www.nextechnews.com/ct.ashx?id=b6ecb968-c417-44e6-8ef5-57142e25de5e&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.gamespot.com%2fnews%2f6156046.html%3ftag%3dlatestnews%3btitle%3b0

well, if this is true, the next few months should make for an interesting time in sony and the video game industry!

i guess you cant edit the title of the post...
    So much for the previous story that was posted here. I also find it interesting that it is scheduled for a November release but they have just started planning the actual manufacturing process

Remember when I said there will be about five PS3s per chain....make it three

they start next week

i would love to see the production line on that show "how things are made" on discovery

Does anybody else think they are cutting it fine for the release date? i bet there wont be half as many ps3's at launch as sonys says there will be.They will have a 'delay' as sony always do!

Well hopefully they will get them out in time, they will have to be going 24hrs a day in production maybe so they can get enough consoles on release date.

for what it's worth. the best buy i work at (supposedly it's projected to be the #1 store in the country) is only getting 10 ps3's...and they are going to be taking preorders.

and the game crazy i went to, that got 12 xbox 360's, is only going to be getting 2 ps3's and they arent taking preorders.

just to give ya an idea of how many there's probably going to be.

Wow... that definitely IS depressing news. I guess I'd better start saving up pennies in case I have to get one for triple the retail price.

They already have a working PS3. im not sure if im allowed to post video link but you can probably find it yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast