Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

PS3 Motion Controller Demoed by SCEE at Develop Conference

Sponsored Links
    As expected, Sony Europe has demonstrated its PlayStation 3 Motion Controller at the [Register or Login to view links] in Brighton... which runs from July 14 to 16, 2009.

At SCEE's coding keynote presentation, the company stressed that the hardware is still a prototype. The PS3 Motion Controller was shown with the same Zelda-style bow and arrow demo seen at E3.

To quote: Sitting in the front row, our impressions of the motion mapping indicate that the system definitely has room for improvement; the spatial accuracy of the pulling back of the bow didn't match the on-screen action precisely, and other wii-like inaccuracies were obvious.

That said, there's plenty of time for SCEE to get it right, and we were lucky to see the controller at all given that it spent the last four days in customs after getting shipped in from the US.

"It can track true 3D, whereever I move it will fully track on every axis," explained SCEE developer services boss Kish Hirani.

In a demo of the archery game shown at E3, SCEE's Colin Hughes explained more:

"We're not getting any lag, which we had with the camera-based stuff on PS3 before. It is very quick and responsive."

The mix of camera tracking and hardware means that the device is 'aware' even when it isn't being seen by the camera.

"It tracks the controller based on acceleromoter - so you can use it really freely, even behind your back," said Hirani. "You have great accuracy."

He added: "There's a whole spectrum of things you can do with this controller.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    While I truly enjoy what Sony has done in the past, this reeks of "too little, too late". Sure it can track true 3D very quickly, its a great piece of tech - I just think the market will side with Natal. The word was booming when Natal debut'd, but nothing has been said about these ball-wands. Sony needs to re-evaluate their strategy lest they be left behind, again.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonin View Post
    While I truly enjoy what Sony has done in the past, this reeks of "too little, too late". Sure it can track true 3D very quickly, its a great piece of tech - I just think the market will side with Natal. The word was booming when Natal debut'd, but nothing has been said about these ball-wands. Sony needs to re-evaluate their strategy lest they be left behind, again.
    lol we dont want to jump to conclusion yet until it came out anyway its all goods because thats your opinion..i heard that when the microsoft xbox 720 came out with the project natal, sony is going to launch the ps4.. so well see in if the xbox project natal will eventually "bloom" on that day.

Arrow I heard about that!

MY friend said it looks like a ps3 wand.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News