PS3 Media Server 1.00 and 1.01 BETA Updates Available!
With all the hustle and bustle of the holidays, here is some PlayStation 3 news that we missed from earlier this month.
That being said, ps3mediaserver has been working on PS3 Media Server which is a DLNA compliant Upnp Media Server for the PlayStation 3, written in Java, with the purpose of streaming or transcoding any kind of media files, with minimum configuration. It's backed up with the powerful Mplayer/FFmpeg packages.
- Ready to launch and play. No codec packs to install. No folder configuration and pre-parsing or this kind of annoying thing. All your folders are directly browsed by the PS3, there's an automatic refresh also.
- Real-time video transcoding via MEncoder, tsMuxer or Avisynth
- DVD ISOs images / VIDEO_TS Folder transcoder
- OGG/FLAC/MPC/APE audio transcoding
- Thumbnail generation for Videos
- You can choose with a virtual folder system your audio/subtitle language on the PS3!
- All formats PS3 natively supports: MP3/WMA, JPG/PNG/GIF/TIFF, and all kind of videos (AVI, MP4, TS, M2TS, MPEG) the PS3 is willing to play
- ZIP/RAR files as browsable folders for pictures/audio files
- Preliminary support for pictures based feeds, such as Flickr and Picasaweb
- Preliminary Internet TV / Web Radio support with VLC, MEncoder or
MPlayer Windows Only:
- Lossless 5.1 PCM transcoding with DTS movies
Finally, in a holiday update http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/2008/12/its-holiday-time.html on the author's blog he states that the 1.01 is a BETA package, so things could be broken. You just have to extract contents into the application folder (and replace the pms.jar file). Also, an official 1.02 version will follow next.
There are some older versions (more buggy, less features) on his blog too, but I just added the latest one and the update patch to the Site News post. I will archive them all in our Downloads section tonight though.
The Patch Update changelog is here:
- New features
Mac OSX version !! (thanks to Robin Mulder)
Audio High Fidelity engine: 24bits/96kHz/5.1 FLAC support (HDMI receiver mandatory)
Audio/Subtitles priority settings (same as Haali Media Splitter)
Truetype font setting, with some new codepages, for asian subtitles
m4a and aac are now transcoded by default (iTunes Apple Lossless compatibility)
seeking issues with dvr-ms and tsMuxer with AC3/PCM mode
Displayed aspect ratio preserved
excellent idea and terrific effort! we definitely need more of these dedicated programs for the ps3. more programs to make it even more useful and add more value to its awesome mostly untapped hardware power. i'll give this a try when the stable version 1.02 is released. hopefully very soon