Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

PS3 Square Button PS3 may support multiple OS

Sponsored Links
    This [Register or Login to view links] talks about the possibilites of the PS3 and how it's cell processor may support multiple operating systems in which i quoted here:
    "Empowered by the Cell processor with super computer like performance, a new age of PLAYSTATION 3 is about to begin," declared Ken Kutaragi, President and CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

The PS3 should serve not only as a games machine but as a computer with a multitude of possible applications. For example, photo and video editing are standard PC applications which the PS3 will feature, according to a recent interview which the PlayStation boss gave to Japanese PC magazine Impress PC Watch.

Sony is expected to offer optional hard drives for the PS3 with potential memory capacity of 80 or 120 GB. It remains to be decided whether the standard version of the PS3 will come complete with a hard drive. The operating system has also yet to be clarified. The integrated Cell processor will be able to support a variety of operating systems (such as Linux or Apple's Tiger).
    Would love to run Tiger on my PS3!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I remember reading about them saying you could install the three big OS (windows, tiger and a linux) this is a great idea!!! be a cheap power computer/console and I do agree with mariotrev.. I want tiger on my ps3!!!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Apple doesn't want anyone to run OSX on anything but a Mac.

However, if you've had your eyes on the OSx86 leak, I'd have to say anything is possible. Linux seems the best choice for an OS, (because Microsoft and Apple have reasons not to support this hardware) but if it was going to use any sort of OS, it would most likely be of Sony design.

well sony is the one that announced it so i think they would work with apple to run it on the ps3. ps3 does use ibms cell processor, so i dont see why it would be much different that installing it on a g5.

well if all else fails it least we know it will run linux

Quote Originally Posted by northernpimp
    well sony is the one that announced it so i think they would work with apple to run it on the ps3. ps3 does use ibms cell processor, so i dont see why it would be much different that installing it on a g5.

Apple is a hardware company. They don't build software for any other hardware than their own. They would likely sue over a thing like that, especially if advertised and easy. The difference is that Apple makes the G5.

Also, Apple will be slowly cutting off support to Macs using the PowerPC processor, so it would be silly for a company to release hardware to run on it after the switch to Intel. The PS3 will be released after the switch.

Listening to This Week in Tech, I think last weeks podcast, Leo et all were talking about OSX86, and how Apple could easily sell OSX for PC's with SSE3, but Steve Jobs is holding that back, because he considers Apple to be a hardware company first, and that Apple might end up losing money over a thing such as everybody going out and building their own Macs for $600.

Also, Sony and Apple don't get along. Sony considers Apple competition in the computer hardware market, so they don't deal, as they are both computer manufacturers. You'll notice that no Sony music player has software support for a Mac OS if you look at their support sites. If you use MD and a Mac, you're out of luck. Most Mac users I know that have high capacity music players have iPods.

i think the article is just inferring to confirmations that cell processor is MAC OSX compatible

It would be nice to have a new Gentoo mechine running again.. had to get rid of my old one

Quote Originally Posted by t3m3st
    Apple is a hardware company. They don't build software for any other hardware than their own. They would likely sue over a thing like that, especially if advertised and easy. The difference is that Apple makes the G5.

Also, Apple will be slowly cutting off support to Macs using the PowerPC processor, so it would be silly for a company to release hardware to run on it after the switch to Intel. The PS3 will be released after the switch.

Listening to This Week in Tech, I think last weeks podcast, Leo et all were talking about OSX86, and how Apple could easily sell OSX for PC's with SSE3, but Steve Jobs is holding that back, because he considers Apple to be a hardware company first, and that Apple might end up losing money over a thing such as everybody going out and building their own Macs for $600.

Also, Sony and Apple don't get along. Sony considers Apple competition in the computer hardware market, so they don't deal, as they are both computer manufacturers. You'll notice that no Sony music player has software support for a Mac OS if you look at their support sites. If you use MD and a Mac, you're out of luck. Most Mac users I know that have high capacity music players have iPods.
    Ok, well you see businesses like money, and can usually get along if money and money making is involved..simple concept that seems to work. I dont know if you heard the intel hates microsoft, that was in the news lately..

But here,
    Ken Kutaragi, the PRESIDENT of president of Sony Computer Entertainment said him self that linux or osX could run on ps3. As this quote from a article on his speach. "He name-dropped Linux and Mac OS X as possibilities for the default operating system in the PS3." If the PRESIDENT of Sony says osX I would assume that this isnt BS. Also they would have to work with apple to get the drivers and ps3 hardware working correctly so apple couldnt sue if it was legit and they were helping.

1. Apple doesnt make the processor, IBM does. Apple helped develop it
    2. Apple is a HW AND software company as they only let their software run on their hardware, except itunes. This is what makes them such a awesome computer.
    3. Although sony and apple are both music and pc makes, a console market is not a pc market and like i said before, business is business
    4. if osX was let lose on any pc it would be like windows, driver compatibility issues etc. When apple controls the hardware osx runs on they control the drivers, compatibility etc. making it a much more reliable OS. and you can make a pc run osX for only $200 :P

Its not stated 100% osX will be on ps3 but i know i got my fingers crossed.

It's not gonna happen. Apple is phasing out that processor. I think Kutaragi was saying OSX could run theoretically, because the processor is similar to the one Apple uses today. Also, his english isn't wasn't all that great when he did that presentation, and improper use of grammar often leads to misunderstanding. I also think about half of what he said at E3, lets say, was BS. Sony and MS both greatly inflate their numbers.

Steve Jobs says Apple is a hardware company first. I know they make software, I use it every day.

In the latest installment of TWiT (mind you, this is not the only place I get my news, just fresh in my head from last night) they talk about how its possible that the OSX86 leak might be a publicity stunt, that would lead Apple to the point where they would say "Everyone is stealing our OS, we might as well release it to the public and make some money off this." This is still a ways off. Probably after the switch is made. I, personally, would like to buy an Intel Mac Mini, and dual boot Windows on it to throw aside my PC. I use PC for Movie/Game copying and all that other stuff that's harder on the Mac, as well as Half-Life 2 and CS:S. Could do all that on the Mini except the games.

If I could build my own Mac/PC, I could use pieces of my current hardware setup to build a gaming/video editing machine. Work and play on 2 different OS's means I can't just switch monitors and play CS for 6 hours when I'm supposed to be working. I would then be saving a few hundred bucks as well, and I could still try to write it off.

When the PS3 is released, though, Apple may not even be using that processor. The next OSX revision will not likely be compatible with that processor.

I also don't think it wise for a console to have an OS. Why do we need it? It just makes it more succeptible to viral attacks. If every PS3 had OSX, more viruses would be made.

I really don't aim to flame here, but you say "business is business". Apple makes software for their own hardware. Providing OSX for PS3 is just like Microsoft providing XBox exclusives for PS2 and GameCube. It didn't happen, save for Halo and Fable on PC. Also note Halo for PC and Mac demanded way more system resources than it really needed. Halo looked like crap for me on the same system that made UT2K4 look better than Halo on the XBox, if you follow me. The Revolution and the 360 both use cell processors. Why not suggest they get OSX?

I would love to have OSX on, like, everything in my house, even the fridge and bathtub, but it isn't realistic. If we're gonna get OSX on PS3, it'll be a hacked version, just as OSX86 is now. I don't doubt the resourcefulness of hackers in the coming PS3 scene, so who knows what we'll see. I'm sure if we get an OS, it'll be some sort of Linux first. Maybe something like Knoppix is a good idea, have it run completely off the CD.

PS: I'd really like to know where I can get a processor with SSE3, ram, mobo, hard drive, case, video card, power supply etc for only $200. I can't find the processor alone for under $230 Canadian. Please link me, as I am very eager to try my hand at OSX86.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News