Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

PS3 GTA IV runs at Lower Resolution than X-Box 360

Sponsored Links
    Some knowledgeable folks over at Beyond3D have found that the X-Box 360 version of GTA IV runs at a resolution of 720p (1280├--720), but the PS3 version only runs at 630p (1120├--630).

To quote Quaz51: Regardless PS3 media look better for me, the light and atmosphere is more real (maybe HDR vs X360 MDR, post-process...)

A game store employee reiterates stating: Played both versions in the game store last night where I work, both on 720p HDMI (PS3 HDMI output 1.3b, X-Box 360 HDMI output 1.2).

The PS3 version is smoother/better visually in my eyes, 360 had pop-up issues. Conclusion: PS3 installs to HDD, which everyone knows its faster than DVD9 disc.

PS3 GTA IV runs at Lower Resolution than X-Box 360

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Which begs the question, I wonder why the PS3 only runs at 630p? I wonder what problems they ran into.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3News View Post
    The PS3 version is smoother/better visually in my eyes, 360 had pop-up issues. Conclusion: PS3 installs to HDD, which everyone knows its faster than DVD9 disc. More...
    yesterday i tried it with my friends xbox360 and then with my ps3.. ps3 version is much better in my eyes...

the only problem... when playing in 1080i mode on the ps3, there is a lagg if you got 4 stars or above and you┤re in a high speed chase...

today i will try in 720p if it┤s the same problem...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    In latest message Quaz51 claims the game uses 640p with no "AA", however I'm not sure if it's true. It could be the size of an internal framebuffer since the console outputs 720p resolution. Besides I didn't see any difference between the both versions on any screenshoot I saw - the all look the same except for color parameters (like gamma, saturation, etc).

Other strange thing is the support for 1080i/1080p. The game box has a sign that means the game supports for PAL, HD 720p, 1080i, 1080p while the game runs in 720p for me (while all other modes are enabled in XMB). I found no option to run the game in 1080i/p modes and the game choose 720p by default (I did not try to turn off 720p while 1080i is enabled). Furthermore Test PS3 shows "Resolution = 0x2E, 1080/720/576/576(16:9)." string however it can't run the due 2.15 version of firmware (till the leakage of newer debug firmware )

Well I have the PS3 and 360 but even with all the reports of it looking better on the PS3 I would much rather have achievements. Plus I have more friends on my the 360 that are getting it so the more people I can play with and enjoy it with the better.

@RMX: If you want to play the game in 1080i or 1080p, just disable 720p in your xmb

I dont understand why the PS3 is lower than the 360, but I heard microsoft paid money to get a better graphic than Sony. Is that right? If it is, it is very poor that microsoft has to do something like that to get more money.

Quote Originally Posted by abcmann2k8 View Post
    I dont understand why the PS3 is lower than the 360, but I heard microsoft paid money to get a better graphic than Sony. Is that right? If it is, it is very poor that microsoft has to do something like that to get more money.
    No way.. Come on that is just ridiculous.

The reason why they are not running at "True 720p" is because the signal has to be scaled to the other resolutions. The developers have found that the slightly lower signal of 640p is easier to scale to all the other resolutions... The xbox probably uses a different method to scale, so they use a different base resolution...

As far as why it says 1080i or 1080p on the box? That just means that if your TV ONLY supports those resolutions, it will still work. It does not mean that the game is actually in those resolutions.

it doesn't make a difference to me. the game looks amazing, i dont really care if the resolution is a little smaller than the 360's. p.s. does the game run slower if you run it in 1080p mode? (ie more skipping)?

Sponsored Links

Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News