Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

PS3 Firmware 3.30 Adds Remote Play & Bitstream Audio Options

Sponsored Links
    A few days ago PS3 Firmware 3.30 was released, and aside from breaking PlayStation 3 consoles it was also reported to update the PS3 browser's Flash version and fix some region-free Blu-ray disc issues.

Engadget.com (linked above) has added to the list of 'hidden' updates PS3 Firmware 3.30 includes, noting both the addition of Remote Play from PC and supporting bitstream audio options.

To quote: "Additional trophy sorting and 3D gaming readiness should have been enough to satisfy and PS3 owner after the latest v3.30 system update (hey, at least it didn't take anything away this time) but there's a couple other surprises in store.

If you're the kind of person who loves (or hates) their beeps and bloops, there's a toggle for Bitstream Direct (output audio with the original digital signal prioritized) or Mix (mixed with sound effects such as button sounds and then converted to bitstream format) on Blu-ray movies, while future VAIO PC owners can get a taste of remote play without any PSP intermediary."

PS3 Firmware 3.30 Adds Remote Play & Bitstream Audio Options

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    PC Remote Play for (future even) Vaio users only? Uhmm - despite having Vaio P Series and NOT having updated from 3.15 I hope (as it's PC running Windows after all) this would be possible to "port" to non-Vaio PCs as well so we'd be than able finally to access our PS3s from anywhere.

The only concern here is the mentioning of the "future" Vaio users - would it work with just new Vaio series or would we need to update our BIOSes? I hope it will be just some software add on and not something locked to hardware or BIOS

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Now I may be wrong, but since when on the ps3 watching a video could you not use the PS button to go to the XMB. Im pretty sure that was removed... but why?

Banned User
    When the firmware came out I posted about Remote Play for PC in that thread. It was on page 3 I think, I can't find that thread atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeruth View Post
    Now I may be wrong, but since when on the ps3 watching a video could you not use the PS button to go to the XMB. Im pretty sure that was removed... but why?
    I think it was back at the start of firmware 3 that pressing the PS button paused the video. It still does that, you can still browse the XMB but the video is now paused.
    Last edited by Jes03; 04-25-2010 at 08:12 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My PS3 is sitting at 3.30 and when I press the PS button while watching a video it brings up the classic full black PS menu and asks "Do you want to quit playback?" Now granted that this could be because i was actually using a disk instead of mp4. i'll test that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by zeruth View Post
    My PS3 is sitting at 3.30 and when I press the PS button while watching a video it brings up the classic full black PS menu and asks "Do you want to quit playback?" Now granted that this could be because i was actually using a disk instead of mp4. ill test that soon.
    Actually that is correct. When you press the PS button while playing a disk movie it will pull up the solid black screen with the "Do you want to quit playback?" message and it does pause the mp4 video. I kinda wish there was an option for you to switch on & off the pause that happens on the mp4 video. I've gotten so accustomed to the video continuously playing in the background from PS3's earlier days till the pausing seems odd. Even the mp4 video pauses on the PSP as well upon selecting the "Home" button. But by far I'm not sure how this would work for UMD movies on the PSP.

Remote play for VAIO only? I think this will be easily changed to any computer... VAIO ja! yeah right.

Quote Originally Posted by Okiri View Post
    Remote play for VAIO only? I think this will be easily changed to any computer... VAIO ja! yeah right.
    Maybe NOT as easily as it migh seem at first look. It could be locked to some BIOS id (although hopefully not impossible to spoof under Windows) or bound to some certificate issued only to genuine Vaio owners etc. Let's wait and see what will happen. I just hope the term "future" Vaio owners really doesn't mean it will NOT work on current Vaio PCs / Laptops

Why is this big fuzz about that _nearly useless_ remote-play? You can play vidoe on PC? Yes! You can browse web on PC? Yes, much better actually! Can you do any other usefull stuff by remote-play? Not really.. Hell, i would like to use my pc as a terminal to the ps3 to play, but barely a few game support the RP, and not all support real "terminal-like" access. (and what about the ORP? it doesn't work anymore?)

And what about that bit-stream? Now the fat models can also do that? Initially they emphasized it as a superiority over the fat model.

This means that I can play ps3 or psn games on my pc but only if I have a sony pc?

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News