Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

PS3 Firmware 3.21 Coming April 1st, Disables OtherOS Feature!

Sponsored Links
    Today Sony's Sr. Director of Corporate Communications & Social Media Patrick Seybold has confirmed that PS3 Firmware update 3.21 is coming on April 1, 2010 and will disable the OtherOS feature!

To quote: The next system software update for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system will be released on April 1, 2010 (JST), and will disable the "Install Other OS" feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009.

This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.21 system software update.

In addition, disabling the "Other OS" feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system.

Consumers and organizations that currently use the "Other OS" feature can choose not to upgrade their PS3 systems, although the following features will no longer be available;

- Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
    - Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
    - Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
    - Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later

For those PS3 users who are currently using the "Other OS" feature but choose to install the system software update, to avoid data loss they first need to back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the "Other OS," as they will not be able to access that data following the update.

Additional information about PS3 firmware updates, including v3.21 (once it becomes available), can be found here: [Register or Login to view links]

PS3 owners who have further questions should contact Consumer Services: [Register or Login to view links]

800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Angry

Sponsored Links
    no way. freakin sony, i'm not updating.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    To be honest this is something I didn't expect sony to do. They really are just ur typical "don't give a damn about the consumer" company. Funny they will preach differently in ads etc

Sponsored Links

more features

Sponsored Links
    I hope for Sony's sake this update contains some actual feature updates/new features.. If its just an update to stop Other OS - then whats the freaken point?

Any chance this is a real dirty April Fool's joke?

Quote Originally Posted by internetfloozy View Post
    Nope it's up on the EU Playstation blog now, quote:

"No, this is not an April fools joke. PS3 Firmware 3.21 will be available this Thursday."

That is what I thought at first, but it's on Sony's US and EU blog so unfortunately I don't think it is.

I suppose everyone can finger GeoHot for this as a result of his PS3 hack though... hopefully he makes use of it for those who aren't planning to update now that Sony is removing it for everyone else.

My PS3 is still on 1.10 as I don't play online, etc... but it does suck for those who do I suppose.

For our sake, I hope it is.

Quote Originally Posted by gtxboyracer View Post
    I hope for Sony's sake this update contains some actual feature updates/new features.. If its just an update to stop Other OS - then whats the freaken point?
    To stop piracy and unwanted 3rd party apps. I am surprised it took them this long..

Thumbs Down

I'm not suprised but this, although I am very disappointed.

I now want the hacking to succeed and rip the PS3 right open. How long will be before another upgrade comes along that is mandatory and we can't play the latest games until we update?

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News