Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Exclamation

Sponsored Links
    So what happens a couple months down the road when a new game comes out and requires 3.21 or higher to play it? It won't be optional then. Dragon Age forced me to update from whatever I had a few months ago, forget from what to what. But the point is, I did not have a choice if I wanted to play the game. And most all places that I know of will not accept returns on open video games.

As I would see it, it's optional if you no longer intend to play online with PSN, visit the online store, or play new games you buy in the future.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Man, Iīm getting itchy for April 1st to come around. Lol, this has to be a sick joke... Maybe the JST time = jest, Iīm still hoping anyway.

Iīve been on PSN downloading alot of demos and anything thatīs free and downloadable. I donīt plan to update if itīs true. Iīll hold off as long as I can. Itīs not the online but eventually a game I want will force me to update.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour07 View Post
    yes, so that still makes the update optional. You've even said it in your own argument "You get a choice" and that choice is accept the new FW update or don't accept it. The FW does not force you to install it as soon as the PS3 is switched on, and it doesn't restrict you from still using your PS3 if you don't accept the update. So it is an optional update.
    Yes, but if you will buy 1 week or month afterwards a game that needs an updated firmware it becomes mandatory to install it AND to accept the new agreement, otherwise you've bought a game that you cannot play.

If you wish to download a DLC it becomes mandatory.

If you wish to play online it becomes mandatory.

If you have credit onto a PSN account it could be a big mess to have it back if you don't loose it at all if you cannot accept.

If you buy a movie that requires an online connection it becomes mandatory.

It's optional my rear.. It could be simply an unfair, awful, useless move.. that many ones will not forgot with ease...

Yes but after a new FW is released all future games are then bound by the new TOS as outlined by that update. So if you choose not to update, but wish to play a game that is released a month later, then you need to agree to the new TOS because that game has had to adhere to the same TOS before being released.

Once FW 3.21 is released on April 1st, any game that is released after April 1st is bound by 3.21's TOS. Since your system hasn't agreed to those terms then you either agree to them to play the game, or you don't agree to them and remain bound by the TOS you agreed to (whatever FW your on) and continue playing games which are bound by those terms.

The same also applies to any services that are provided by Sony to your PS3 such as VidZone, PSN and the Playstation Store.
    Last edited by saviour07; 03-30-2010 at 11:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by saviour07 View Post
    Yes but after a new FW is released all future games are then bound by the new TOS as outlined by that update. So if you choose not to update, but wish to play a game that is released a month later, then you need to agree to the new TOS because that game has had to adhere to the same TOS before being released.

Once FW 3.21 is released on April 1st, any game that is released after April 1st is bound by 3.21's TOS. Since your system hasn't agreed to those terms then you either agree to them to play the game, or you don't agree to them and remain bound by the TOS you agreed to (whatever FW your on) and continue playing games which are bound by those terms.

The same also applies to any services that are provided by Sony to your PS3 such as VidZone, PSN and the Playstation Store.
    Do you agree that it's a twisted move by Sony to remove the Other OS option from us fat owners? I do realize though that you're being the devils advocate to cut down on peoples "I'm gonna sue Sony" dreams and to point out the fine print.
    Last edited by red8316; 03-31-2010 at 12:43 AM Reason: readability

Lol yeah i do think its a sick and twisted move, i've got a jap launch 60gb with a 10gb linux partition so i'm actually affected by this FW update

And yeh i am playing devils advocate, not because i want to defend Sony, but i just hate people whining about something "because it's not fair" lol

So i want people to realise that if this is all true then they can't really complain. I'm not. I'm ticked off because it makes certain things inconvienient, but it's not the end of the world. Roll on April 1st...

Big Grin

Someone needs to do a "Hitler reacts to no OtherOS on FW 3.21" video.

Got some news from german translated with google!
    But well-informed circles developers of Sony us more information on tomorrow's update was transmitted. So the firmware update before installing user will point out that the support of the Other OS would disabled. The Linux partition would not be deleted by the update. Because the Linux partition as opposed to the PS3 system partition is not encrypted, you can take the disk from the console and mount the partition on a PC to save the data.

The source also contradicted George Hotz claim that the SACD and PS2 support are just software switch. For SACD playback, the PS3 has needed a special drive electronics, which was saved as part of the cost reduction in later models. The same is true of the PS2 emulation, which was made possible by a combination of hardware and software. It is therefore not possible to enable both via software again.

The source warned against PS3 owners system to merge Sony does not publish official firmware updates. Such hacks would not only compromise the security of copy protection, but also the account and payment system of the Playstation Network, by spying on passwords and credit card numbers and the attacker then voids the accounts of users.
    Source: [Register or Login to view links]

I dont think its the fact that "its not fair" Its the fact that when we bouight the PS3 at launch, Sony told us it has the option to install Linux. They didnt say " You can install Linux, But a few years down the line we're gonna make you disable it if you want to continue online use" I dont ever remember that advert!

All the bollox about we agreed the terms and conditions, Yes the terms and conditions that were put to us at THAT time not these new TAC. Terms and conditions are fine but dont take something away that we bought with the console! Its like Buying a new console and someone from the store taking a controller out! Is that not classed as false advertising and stealing?

Quote Originally Posted by Studs View Post
    I dont think its the fact that "its not fair" Its the fact that when we bouight the PS3 at launch, Sony told us it has the option to install Linux. They didnt say " You can install Linux, But a few years down the line we're gonna make you disable it if you want to continue online use" I dont ever remember that advert!

All the bollox about we agreed the terms and conditions, Yes the terms and conditions that were put to us at THAT time not these new TAC. Terms and conditions are fine but dont take something away that we bought with the console! Its like Buying a new console and someone from the store taking a controller out! Is that not classed as false advertising and stealing?
    Allow me to focus that it wouldn't only cut the online usage but even the ability to play new games or anything that would require 3.21 or newer FW... thus it force to upgrade or otherwise it will not do nearly anything for which it could have been bought for...leaving only the ability to play old games and movies that doesn't REQUIRE a new firmware....

If it's not a joke I really hope there could be some lawyer and/or judge who loves to play with PS3 AND linux and find a fire exit ...

Sponsored Links

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News