Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

PS3 Firmware 2.80 Update Changes Detailed

Sponsored Links
    Despite Eric Lempel's statement about PS3 Firmware 2.80 only improving the playback quality of some PS3 format software, a few other changes have surfaced as well.

Both PS3Attitude (linked above) and GrandpaHomer have reported that the recently added Text Chat feature has now increased the maximum limit of characters from 32 to 64 per line.

It also has been reported that when using the official Sony Bluetooth Headset the microphone volume has been locked at level 3, without the ability to change it.

As mentioned yesterday, Open Remote Play (ORP) is currently not working properly in PS3 Firmware 2.80.

Since inception, the PS3 has prioritized devices plugged into the front of the console... meaning if you leave your Guitar Hero, Buzz, or Rock Band 'dongles' plugged in your Wireless controller is not number one. However, as of PS3 Firmware Update 2.80 the Wireless controller does gets assigned to number one.

Finally, although there isn't concrete evidence supporting it, some users claim that PS3 Trophy cards load slightly faster post-update, along with some new avatars and volume options.

If anyone discovers other 2.80 Firmware changes feel free to share them in the comments below.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    there's a rumor, they prepared the ps3 for cross game voice chat with 2.80.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Could the PS3 always play the next video in a folder automatically once the previous video finished? (under video settings menu option) I didn't notice that option before. I might just have missed it.

Yup, it could but I don't remember since when. It has been quite some time now.

I noticed my controllers are automatically shut down after a few mins of inactivity or a the end of charging. Was this feature already there?

Quote Originally Posted by shalina View Post
    I don't understand why the PlayStation 3 need to be "prepared" for a future feature to be implemented. Why not just "prepare" it in the same update that the feature is included?

Quote Originally Posted by frente69 View Post
    Could the PS3 always play the next video in a folder automatically once the previous video finished? (under video settings menu option) I didn't notice that option before. I might just have missed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderkik View Post
    Yup, it could but I don't remember since when. It has been quite some time now.

I noticed my controllers are automatically shut down after a few mins of inactivity or a the end of charging. Was this feature already there?
    Both of these features were added in update 2.50 on October 15, 2008.
    Link: [Register or Login to view links]

I haven't noticed any difference while loading Trophy cards or syncing Trophies.

The trophy speed is noticeable thru certain games. I've tried on Grand Theft Auto and Socom and they were already loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by shalina View Post
    In the Ps3 slim article was said that cross game chat will be added in 3.0.. so what did they do in 2.8?

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    Since inception, the PS3 has prioritized devices plugged into the front of the console... meaning if you leave your Guitar Hero, Buzz, or Rock Band 'dongles' plugged in your Wireless controller is not number one. However, as of PS3 Firmware Update 2.80 the Wireless controller does gets assigned to number one.
    For me, this is really welcomed feature, as my PS3 has almost always GH/Buzz dongles hanging from the front USBs. I hope this is valid also with Logitech wheel.

Just in case you have missed it, the X-Media Bar when opened while in-game, now runs a lot smoother that it did before.

It really looks like Sony might have done some memory usage optimization (?) as in SOME instances the in-game XMB seems to be more responsive.

Also - have anyone noticed that when you read message from your friend via triangle you'll end up at Message list (rather than at Friend list) AFTER closing that message ... ?

I really DO wonder why Sony simply can't publish the FULL change log? Or - did they FORGOT what they've put in in the meantime??

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News