Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

PS3 Firmware 2.20 brings BD-Live Interactive Blu-ray this month!

Sponsored Links
    According to the bods over at Engadget, the Blu-ray 2.0 spec (or BD-Live) is just days from launch. Sony just announced that the next PlayStation 3 Firmware updated -- v2.20 -- will add the new interactive features to your PS3.

As such, PS3 owners should expect downloadable video content, ringtones, interactive movie-based games, and the always intriguing "more" when the software is released in "late March." In other words, in the next 11 days. The update will also allow you to copy photos and music playlists over USB from your PS3 to your PSP. The rest of the new features after the break.

-- "Resume play" will enable PS3 system to start playing a Blu-ray disc
    and DVD at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been
    removed.(*1)
    -- "Audio Output Device" will be a new Remote Play setting, enabling PSP
    to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.
    -- PS3 system's Internet browser will be enhanced: Video files directly
    linked from a Web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser's
    view speed will be improved.
    -- DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB will be playable.
    -- "Mosquito Noise Reduction" will be added as an AV setting in the
    control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback.(*2)

*1 BD-J format disc is not supported.
    *2 BD discs recorded with BDMV format are not supported.

PS3 Firmware 2.20 brings BD-Live Interactive Blu-ray this month!

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Looking forward to this update. As far as BD is concearned the ps3 is certainly the machine to have imo.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I'm really sick of them updating the profile of the blu ray players. They should just create one definite profile, just like HD-DVD. It really ticks me off that I will have to buy better blu rays later on.

nice!!! sony is always one step behind what people want.. didnt they figure that people wanted Video files to be viewed directly linked from a Web page

Hmm it will be interesting to see the in browser streaming performance.

Quote Originally Posted by starwarflcn View Post
    I'm really sick of them updating the profile of the blu ray players. They should just create one definite profile, just like HD-DVD. It really ticks me off that I will have to buy better blu rays later on.
    I am glad I didn't get a stand alone Blu-Ray player. It is pretty crappy that they cannot update the firmware. Hopefully the future BD players have some way of updating like through USB or Ethernet or even a disc. Otherwise it would be just as horrible as the format war, people would wait until everything was settled.

i dont think anyone will buy a stand alone player now

This is incredible update... wow.. i cant wait... only wish the in game xmb was in this update also but... internet streaming video FINALLY!!

My guess is that if the 'internet' video streaming has a nice wide-open scaleability to it then it may be possible to just whip up a web server on yer PC (or use an existing media streaming proggie) to stream your collection of Films and TV straight from your PC to your big telly

Which is great for me cause I download most of the TV I watch anyways.. I'm hoping Sony take the PS3 the way of the TV on demand route - it certainly has everything already there in one box - just needs the service

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News