Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

PS3 File size limit 4GB?

Sponsored Links
    i was under the impression that the file size limit on the PS3 was 4GB... am i wrong? because i managed to copy an 8GB+ video file to the PS3 HD.

can any one tell me what's going on?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    mmm FAT size limit is 4GB... but gameos don't use FAT, so maybe it can work with 4GB+ files... from where did you copy the file?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    No there doesn't seem to be a file size limit. I copy over 20GB mpeg2 HD movies to watch all the time.
    I've read there does seem to be file size limit on mp4 files. You can use Vilvic Media Center to transfer files over your network.
    Last edited by B4tm4n; 06-13-2007 at 10:36 PM

I converted and copied a 4.2GB MP4 file to my PS3 which showed up as 'Unsupported Data', I also converted another file which ended up at just over 4GB which played fine.

The limit is definitely in MP4 videos, but this thread has given me the idea to encode my next HD movie into MPEG.

Is there any way to make the ps3 read ntfs formatted external hdd ? is this possible in linux ? cause i have a 500gb hdd ntfs format but can't play my mp4's from it cause the ps3 doesn't see it

Quote Originally Posted by djhazardous View Post
    I converted and copied a 4.2GB MP4 file to my PS3 which showed up as 'Unsupported Data', I also converted another file which ended up at just over 4GB which played fine.

The limit is definitely in MP4 videos, but this thread has given me the idea to encode my next HD movie into MPEG.
    Just rename the .mp4 to .mpg to get rid of the currupted data messege

Quote Originally Posted by azyd View Post
    i was under the impression that the file size limit on the PS3 was 4GB... am i wrong? because i managed to copy an 8GB+ video file to the PS3 HD.

can any one tell me what's going on?
    Quote Originally Posted by B4tm4n View Post
    No there doesn't seem to be a file size limit. I copy over 20GB mpeg2 HD movies to watch all the time.

I've read there does seem to be file size limit on mp4 files. You can use Vilvic Media Center to transfer files over your network.
    so where are you guys copying your files into? BTW we are not talking about linux or Vilvic, were talking about ps3 OS!

MPEG file has header with informations at the begining of the file, so then file bigger than 4GB is playable because PS3 "see" this informations about file.

But MP4 file has it at the end of the file, so then video part above 4GB is "corrupted" and then PS3 can't read info about this file = CORRUPTED DATA / UNSUPPORTED.

But if it is possible to play MPEG file bigger than 4GB without problem up to the end, then I will change my opinion that PS3 limits all files moved to it on size of 4GB max.

For the PS3 to recognise it as playable it has to be mpeg ps.
    This is what I do to make HD mpegs playable.

1. Get VLC.
    2. Open up the streaming and transcoding wizard (its under the file menu).
    3. Click transode/save to file press next.
    4. Then select your stream, press next.
    5. On the Transcode page make sure none of the options are on, turn them off if they are. You don't want to transcode your just remuxing. Press next.
    6. Chose MPEG PS, press next.
    7. Chose your save destination, press next.
    8. Check if the details a correct and press finish, then wait while it does it business.

This works on PC and Macs, all you have to do is then transfer it to your PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by HackITandC View Post
    Just rename the .mp4 to .mpg to get rid of the currupted data messege
    that doesn't work. just changes the error from 'unsupported format' to 'corrupted data'.

Quote Originally Posted by HackITandC View Post
    so where are you guys copying your files into? BTW we are not talking about linux or Vilvic, were talking about ps3 OS!
    Vilvic is just a java server that runs on your computer. Your PS3 connects to it through the web broswer and it lets you download media files on to the PS3 hard drive.

Once on your drive you can access them from PS3 OS. I've only used it to transfer mpeg movies but it should work on any media file that the PS3 recognizes (mps, photos etc).

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News