Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikRevolver View Post
    Well I actually know the details of PATA and SATA, its like a fused drive project for the ps3. Its been done on the computer already. I forget the company name but they put two 250gb hardrives in on ext. case and fused their data flow to use one SATA cable.
    Not possible. Not by connecting them together. There would have to have been more logic/hardware behind their project. Maybe they created the worlds smallest RAID0 device?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    It is a raid device. I looked into them for a project at my work.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoFreak View Post
    Not possible. Not by connecting them together. There would have to have been more logic/hardware behind their project. Maybe they created the worlds smallest RAID0 device?
    Theres a mybook terabyte drive that has two 500gb drives inside of it that can run off raid 0. Research it before saying its not possible :P

Quote Originally Posted by onikage View Post
    Theres a mybook terabyte drive that has two 500gb drives inside of it that can run off raid 0. Research it before saying its not possible :P
    yeah but the ps3 does not support raid so therefore thats not going to work. what you can do is make some sort of switch that lets you switch between drives. that way you still can have two hard drives and with a flick of switch you can switch between them.

Quote Originally Posted by desicube View Post
    yeah but the ps3 does not support raid so therefore thats not going to work. what you can do is make some sort of switch that lets you switch between drives. that way you still can have two hard drives and with a flick of switch you can switch between them.
    The ps3 supports raid, what I'm doing has already been done before, I just don't know haw the ps3 reportedly recognized the crives. I know linux does on the ps3 for sure.

At my local computer store here in Japan I bought a drive cage for the PS3 that makes the internal SATA port an eSATA connection on the outside of the PS3. I have a 250GB eSATA drive that I hook up and the PS3 recognizes the 250GB. I bought this adapter for $30. It came with a Plastic stick-on cover with holes for the external connection. Work nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by hiphop View Post
    At my local computer store here in Japan I bought a drive cage for the PS3 that makes the internal SATA port an eSATA connection on the outside of the PS3. I have a 250GB eSATA drive that I hook up and the PS3 recognizes the 250GB. I bought this adapter for $30. It came with a Plastic stick-on cover with holes for the external connection. Work nicely.
    Very cool. I'm trying to do something similar, only with two drives using the one Sata connection.

Quote Originally Posted by onikage View Post
    You either don't know what RAID is or you aren't following along very well :P

The MyBook product you brought up does not only run off RAID0, it also runs off RAID1.

Now, the fact that it contains a RAID controller means it's able to CONTROL the drives. Controller.....control.

That is the only way to link up multiple drives. Your computer does the same thing (I'm being very basic on purpose). You need a controller or a host in order to control the requests to the drive. The only way to go from 1 to many is to use the device ATT linked us to. Trust me, there's a little more then y-splitters in that box.

If I'm not mistaken, the OP does not want to use a controller. He wants to Y-connect (?) the drives together?

"What I'm going to do is split the sata interface"

As he was already told, that is not possible. I suggested this "project" he read up on must have had other "goings ons" in order to work (RAID). Something MUCH MORE complicated then splitting the data connection.

As was confirmed by imtcb, it was a RAID controller.

I haven't heard of the product listed above, but mine wasn't just going to be a y-split. Now, that device is over 100$ and I'm not spending that much. I've already doe quite a bit of research and can do it for about 30$ (+ cost of drives).

Y-splitting 1 Sata controller into 2 drives will not work. You can only do one drive per Sata port. Even SATA RAID controllers have one port per drive.

Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News