Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    And for the record, 720P has more data bandwidth than 1080i.

That means you won't see the PS3 downconverting 1080P to 1080i. 720P -> 1080i is all we will get. Downconverting a 1080P signal would cost the system way too much performance.

Jay

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshow View Post
    Doing great. Thanks for asking. Always wondered what happened to those other forums that we used to be part of. They all of sudden vanished out of nowhere. Oh well, that was the past, moving on.
    I remember the good old days. Radiskull used to take a daily beating on the other forum for using the "Flippy Top".

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by OnA XM202 View Post
    I remember the good old days. Radiskull used to take a daily beating on the other forum for using the "Flippy Top".
    HAHAHA, the "Flippy Top". Yah, those days on Consolesource forums were fun back in the day

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Has anyone tried playing Gran Turismo (ps2) on thier PS3? That game has been made in 1080i. Just curious to see what its like?

I'd blame the TV just as much as the PS3.

Who in their right non consumer raping minds makes a TV that does 1080i but not 720p??? However sony COULD have evened out the playing field by just makeing it do everything from 480i up to 1080p.

Those forums were fun stuff indeed. I remember all the posts about how you could play backups on a non modded PS1 if you used the black CD-rs because the color of the disk is what stopped it. But I really didn't even have my sony modded yet at that point, let alone own a PS2!

Instead of wasting all weekend griping about how Sony can't support a few old spent HDTV's, let us use our heads and do the math...I am making the assumption here that the average non-blue-collar joe in their mid 20's makes $35/hour, but that is all relative to geographic location and living expenses:

Gasoline, car depreciation, and a few hours of lost potential wages from driving all over town looking for the smallest lineup:
    = $100+

15 hours minimum in lost potential wages from camping out to have a PS3 on opening day:
    35*15 = $525

Lost wages from calling in sick the next couple of days because you haven't had any sleep from camping in line and/or have caught a cold:
    35*16 = $560

Post-purchase medical expenses:
    $0-$1000+, depending on how far north you live (ie. how much you froze from standing outside) and how badly you were mauled in the lineup when the doors opened.

Cost of the actual PS3 and a few games and whatnot:
    $1000+

Cost of a 42" 1080p LCD HDTV:
    $1300 if you know where to look

Am I the only one seeing something wrong with this picture?

Quote Originally Posted by WOWchamp View Post
    I'd blame the TV just as much as the PS3.

Who in their right non consumer raping minds makes a TV that does 1080i but not 720p??? However sony COULD have evened out the playing field by just makeing it do everything from 480i up to 1080p.

Those forums were fun stuff indeed. I remember all the posts about how you could play backups on a non modded PS1 if you used the black CD-rs because the color of the disk is what stopped it. But I really didn't even have my sony modded yet at that point, let alone own a PS2!
    who would make a tv that supports 1080i and not 720p- early hdtv makers. when the 360 can support the resolutions form 480i-1080p, and the ps3 cant (even when sony's big deal with it was its superb hdtv capabilities) there's a problem. Sony should have included a hardware video scaler if they wanted to make it a truly universal hdtv device.

Now is where you have to congratulate Microsoft even if you don't want to. With the 360 it doesnt matter what resolution the games are in, it always outputs at the resolution chosen (except dvd's, those are 480p)

and skonash- why should we have to upgrade our 2500$ tv after already buying a 1000$ video game console. Sony should have covered every possible situation. how do you overlook the ability to output 1080i? (unless of course, it was rushed to market...)

plus, if you make 35$ an hour, you've already upgraded your tv and your right, your not going to complain. but are you seriously suggesting sony to just give up and say:
    Although we are very sorry about not supporting your tv, we have already though of ways to help you out. Based on the fact that you own a ps3 and an early hdtv, we've concluded that your rich and can just go out and buy a new 1080p plasma tv, we recommend a sony bravia one. those are guaranteed to work with the ps3. Another option is to buy a 1500$ Sony receiver/video scaler. this will scale the ps3's video to 1080i. Either way we congratulate your ability to find a ps3 and are looking forward to your additional 2000$!

Your Friends,
    Sony
    actually, now that i read that. i agree, it's not sony's fault. it's ours for buying into early technology.

My friend bought a 1080i HDTV for a variety of reasons a few years ago, chiefly that it was half the price of a 720p one and that it being a tube based TV makes 480i/p signals look as good as a SDTV (which was all of the games at the time). A game console that people would buy only for the High-Def (there are much better games on the ps2 right now than the launch lineup) should support all HDTVs. Anything else is unacceptable.

The easiest solution is to add a software scaler to their dev kits and require that all developers use it. It wouldn't help the handful of games released now, but would solve the problem in the future with a very low cost.

Skonash, Im not sure if your post was satire or if you truly believe that most people make 35$ an hour. The vast majority of people (and nearly everyone I know) does not. In fact most people don't make half that. I would even go so far to say that there a sizable amount of people still paying off their 1080i HDTVs on credit cards and you are not going to convince them to buy another TV just for PS3. Then again those people really shouldn't be buying a PS3 either...

A software scailer would cost a lot in terms of CPU cycles. If Sony did something like that, all games would have to not factor in "x" amount of processing power so it could be exclusively reserved to make the relatively small "1080i only" contingent happy. It won't happen :/

Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News