Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Actually Stud the title is WRONG. PS3 can support 1080i fine.

It just doesnt upscale if your TV doesnt support 720p.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Jeezus. For the love of everything, please read this news article from gamedaily:

Quote Originally Posted by Gamedaily BIZ
    Sony is working on a fix for sets that lack 720p

A number of reports have been circulating on the Internet recently, suggesting that Sony's new PlayStation 3 has encountered problems displaying high-definition visuals on HDTV sets that do not support 720p. Today Sony Computer Entertainment America confirmed the problem to GameDaily BIZ:

"A small number of older High Definition television sets found in the United States only have 1080i inputs for HD signals. Those televisions will currently only play some PS3 titles at 480p resolution. PS3 games render images at either 720p or 1080p for High Definition, and you need 720p input on the TV to play select games that do not support 1080p. This is an issue on the side of the individual television sets, which do not accept 720p input, so when a game outputs an HD signal only at 720p, these select TVs have to display the game at 480p instead."

The SCEA spokesperson went on to assure us that Sony is working on a solution. A timetable for the fix wasn't provided, but it will be a simple firmware download when ready.
    Take a look at what I bolded there. Sony ADMITS to skipping support on 1080i. Period. No more discussion needed...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    What I'm saying is FACT though, if you hook up a newish HDTV to PS3 and select 1080i as the resolution then the PS3 will display it therefore technically and factually supporting 1080i.

PS3 games don't currently support 1080i. If you set your TV to 1080i, the Sony XMB will be displayed at 1080i. Therefore, the system can display in 1080i, but the games have not been created to support 1080i. But it should be noted that although the PS3 itself can support 1080i, it cannot support upscaling of 720p games to 1080i, which is kind of rediculous, but then again doesn't really matter since there is only a small amount of people with 1080i only TVs.

I doubt they'll bother fixing this problem through firmware updates.

Meh, if ether of the two admins want to change the title to "PS3 doesn't support 1080i for games/movies at the moment" they can have at it. Just because the PS3 GUI is registering 1080i doesn't mean a thing in my book...

The topic shouldn't change because the PS3 essentially doesn't support 1080i because its video games cannot be upscaled from 720p to 1080i. However, $ony is apparently working on a firmware update to fix this problem. Looks like I'll have to swallow my words.

well, it looks like this isnt a problem fixable with a firmware update. or at least not one any time soon. Sony retracted there statement about them fixing the problem.

All you owners of HDTVs that can only do 1080i, we've got some bad news for you. Sony Computer Entertainment America's head honcho of Corporate communications, David Karraker, apparently retracted -- or at least backtracked -- on Sony's previous statements about the increasingly infamous 1080i issue (the one that won't let PS3s play games at 1080i on HDTVs that don't support 720p). According to GameDaily, Sony cannot actually confirm this issue can be fixed via a firmware patch (although they're not denying it, either), and that they are "looking into the issue and haven't stated any actions that will be taken regarding it."
    kinda sucks. although i dont owe one (a ps3) and my tv supports every signal except 1080p, it does for the people who buy into technology when it first comes out instead of waiting to see what sticks/the "specs" get finalized...

Owned. Way to go Sony...

Eternal, i'm afraid you're incorrect.

Just because your TV has the ability to upscale/downscale a signal doesn't mean the PS3 supports 1080i. That just means your TV is versatile in accepting signals and converting them.

Right now, the PS3 CANNOT *OUTPUT* a 1080i signal, it's going to shoot out a 480i, 480P, 720P or 1080P signal. It is NOT outputting a 1080i signal, EVER. In the future I am sure Sony will have an update that will have the PS3 upscale 720P to 1080i system-side.

To say the PS3 "Supports" 1080i is incorrect, the SYSTEM does not support 1080i. It supports 480i, 480P, 720P and 1080P *ONLY*; your TV can do AS IT WISHES with the signal however. Just because your TV sees 1080i, doesn't mean the PS3 is outputting 1080i.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by alvarado6411 View Post
    if you set the output to 1080i, Games that are in 1080p does show in 1080i. Only games that are in 720p go down to 480p. I've been playing NBA live in 1080i but when I want to play Resistance I have to go back to the menu and select the output back to 720p.
    Give us the name and model of your HD screen, I have a feeling your screen is able to accept 1080P and downconvert to 1080i.

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News