Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

problems mounting ps3 volume

Sponsored Links
    Hey guys, sorry- this is a noob question, but i'm still a linux noob, so hopefully you guys can help. This may be a very simple and stupid question, but here goes.

Running Yellow Dog 5. PS3 with the latest updates.

I can mount an external usb hard drive fine. Also, I can mount a data cd fine. however, when there is a ps3 game that I insert into the drive, and in the file browser, it comes up with an error box stating error Cannot mount Volume. Unable to mount the volume 'PS3VOLUME'.

any ideas? I tried going thru the gnome terminal and typing in "mount /dev/cdrom" but it returns "can't find /dev/scd0 in e/etc/fstab or /etc/mtab" , and if i type in cd /dev/cdrom it returns "not a directory".

Did they patch this up in the latest update? (never tried before this update) or am not understanding or missing something and doing it all wrong? thanks!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    It can not mount PS3VOLUME (which is the Blu-Ray drive) as Blu-Ray disks use UDF2.5!

You can either recompile the kernel with UDF 2.5 support, OR, try this

type -> su (hit enter)
    (it may ask you for your root password)
    type -> mount -tiso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom (hit enter)
    (where /dev/cdrom is the CDROM, and /mnt/cdrom exists as a folder to be mounted to)

Then you should be able to explore it (somewhat) by navigating to /mnt/cdrom

It works on SOME PS3 Games and movies (due to an ISO/UDF bridge!)

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    thanks for your help. that ud/isobridge did work, however i would like to recompile the kernel with the udf 2.5 support. Being EXTREMELY new to linux (about 5 days experience, TOTAL!) im not sure that it is the best thing to do right now, but i am very competent with other o/s', just none with linux, and would like to change that.
    are these the correct files to use to recompile it with udf 2.5 support?

Post them here- no external links allowed! -Staff

most google searches resulted in discussions of the subject, so i just want to make sure im using the right stuff before i wander off into this adventure!

thanks!

-a

Thanks for the help so far. I'm still running into a couple of problems and am hoping that you can help me...

I have successfully mounted the bluray drive as /dev/cdrom and the destination drive (ipod) is mounted as /media/WILLIAM SHU' - in which a subdir of PS3 Games exists...

attempting to backup up the game using the dd command:

dd if=/mnt/cdrom of='/media/WILLIAM SHU/PS3 Games/NBA'

results in the response:
    dd: reading 'mnt/cdrom': Is a directory
    0+0 records in
    0+0 records out
    0 bytes copied

adding a "/" at the end of cdrom (if=/mnt/cdrom/) results in the same response. I tried running man dd, to learn the switches, and it looks like the if switch is used for single files, not directory. I tried adding the *.* to the /mnt/cdrom/ but it didn't work. If I click on the mounted directory (blu ray disc), it shows 2 directories, and 1 file. This seems like I am using the wrong switch. I don't believe that it is a mounting issue any longer, but I am posting this in this thread because it started with a mounting issue, and am not versed enough with linux to know that it isn't for sure. If this thread needs to be renamed, let me know and I will do so.

Thanks!

IDK what you're doing but dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/media/WILLIAM SHU/PS3 Games/NBA
    might fix what you want to do

Agreed, and to be safe, try a umm:

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/media/WILLIAM*SHU/PS3 Games/NBA.iso

(for completeness, and the * will replace the space, so it does not fail, as sometimes it will think the folder name is only WILLIAM, vs WILLIAM SHU)

Quote Originally Posted by hacked2123 View Post
    IDK what you're doing but dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/media/WILLIAM SHU/PS3 Games/NBA
    might fix what you want to do
    the dev switch wasn't working for me, where mnt does- the second line i perform a cd /dev/cdrom to show, and again to the dest directory just to make sure that it is all correct. below is everything that I've tried.
    Code:
    [root@localhost ~]# mount -tiso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
    [root@localhost ~]# cd /dev/cdrom
    bash: cd: /dev/cdrom: Not a directory
    [root@localhost ~]# dd if=/mnt/cdrom of=/media/WILLIAM*SHU/PS3*Games/NBA
    dd: opening `/media/WILLIAM*SHU/PS3*Games/NBA': No such file or directory
    [root@localhost ~]# cd /media/WILLIAM*SHU
    [root@localhost WILLIAM SHU]# cd /media/WILLIAM*SHU/PS3*Games/
    [root@localhost PS3 Games]# dd if=/mnt/cdrom of=/media/WILLIAM*SHU/PS3*Games/NBA.iso
    dd: opening `/media/WILLIAM*SHU/PS3*Games/NBA.iso': No such file or directory
    [root@localhost PS3 Games]#
    (for completeness, and the * will replace the space, so it does not fail, as sometimes it will think the folder name is only WILLIAM, vs WILLIAM SHU)
    THANKS! I was trying to find out how to do that. It wasn't working with the space, and I tried the 8.3 format (WILLIA~1) and the quotes seemed to work. that makes things so much easier! and thanks for bearing with me here, still a super noob to linux!

Umm, do me a favor, type- > cat /proc/mounts
    and paste the output here.

Namely, how is William SHU mounted? as in, what kind of filesystem etc?

Furthermore, if your already IN the PS3 Games directory, you can just specify 'of=nba.iso' (it will drop it in the current dir, since its the PS3 one, your set!)

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Umm, do me a favor, type- > cat /proc/mounts
    and paste the output here.

Namely, how is William SHU mounted? as in, what kind of filesystem etc?

Furthermore, if your already IN the PS3 Games directory, you can just specify 'of=nba.iso' (it will drop it in the current dir, since its the PS3 one, your set!)
    k thanks, here's the output.
    [root@localhost ~]# cat /proc/mounts
    rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
    /dev/root / ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
    /dev /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
    /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
    /sys /sys sysfs rw 0 0
    /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
    /dev/sda1 /boot ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
    tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    spufs /spu spufs rw 0 0
    none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
    sunrpc /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs rw 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 ro 0 0
    this is the output w.o the mp3 player attached... I've decided to try to get the backup pushed onto the local hard drive first, just to eliminate one more thing from being the problem.

[root@localhost PS3Games]# dd if=/mnt/cdrom of=nba.iso
    dd: reading '/mnt/cdrom': Is a directory
    0+0 records in
    0+0 records out
    0 bytes (0 B) copied, 0.000884 seconds, 0.0 kB/s
    [root@localhost PS3Games]#
    it seems like that helped a little, but still not successful .... - sorry this seemed to be a long drawn out issue, but if you have any more suggestions / ideas that would be great! tia
    -a

Well, thats your problem!

[root@localhost PS3Games]# dd if=/mnt/cdrom of=nba.iso
    dd: reading '/mnt/cdrom': Is a directory
    Try using -> dd if=/dev/cdrom of=nba.iso

That should do it!

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News