Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

PowerMad Review of Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3

Sponsored Links
    This is Sonic's Ultimate Genesis collection, and if you're a casual or retro gamer you need to go pick this one up.

Instead of trying to make great graphics and releasing a entirely new game which no one is going to remember. Sega decided to put over 40 of the games from their most popular console.

You get a few arcade titles and some videos about the makings of SUGC. But besides that nothing is really new.

The game has trophies/achievements, and is a great addition to any gamers. If you grew up with a Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, and want a few nostalgic moments, This is a game for you.

Since the PS3 controller has nearly over trice the buttons as the Sega genesis controller. You can actually program the controller to what buttons you want it to be.

Although I liked almost all the games on this disc, Like goldenaxe and Sonic the hedgehog. A few games like Flicky make the game worse amazingly. The best way I can explain it is if I offered to give to a milkshake, but I spit in it before hand. That would make the milkshake not as good even though I gave you more.

I really don't have much more to say about this game. It's meant to appeal to a certain type of gamer so I can't really say anything mind boggling about it. At any rate you may have a good time, and for 30 bucks you can't go wrong.

Rating

Value: 8-10
    Value for a Retro gamer: 10-10

Overall 72-100
    Grade "B" Game

Recommendations

Casual Gamer: Yes
    Hardcore Gamer: Maybe
    Obsessive Gamer: Maybe
    Pro Gamer: Maybe
    Newb Gamer: Maybe
    Noob Gamer: No
    Retro Gamer: Yes
    Table Gamer: Yes
    Online Gamer: N/A
    Co-Op Gamer: Yes

Multiverse Gamer: Maybe
    Multiverse-Casual Gamer: Yes

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    The only thing is, we can already do this (if we have swap magic + ps2 emulation supported ps3) and get more sega games than this offers.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    lol, the sad thing is i might end up getting this, not sure if its the same version tho... back when sega master system *same as genesis?*.. it had a built in game, where if u turned on the console without a cartridge in, the built in game alex the kid would play.. was my fav game on that system apart from sonic 1&2

since i own a 80gb PAL CECHK02, emulation is out of the question... at least for now.

altho there is linux on the ps3... i'm still trying to get snes running at a decent speed without having a tiny game in the center of the tv. lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapy View Post
    not sure if its the same version tho... back when sega master system *same as genesis?*.. it had a built in game, where if u turned on the console without a cartridge in, the built in game alex the kid would play..
    Mega drive (or more commonly known as genesis) was a generation after the master system. It too had a built-in game alex the kid (but had better graphics ect.)

I really enjoyed replaying some of the classics. You have to laugh at the game case - "replay classic titles in HD", lol

Got the platinum last night, for the trophies collectors, it's one of the easiest platinums to get (if youve played Mega Drive games before).

When i played Fatal Labyrinth, i forgot how hard it was

I would have to disagree with certain aspects of this review... Specifically, if i already had a Genesis and a Master System, why would i want all the same games again for my ps3. Seems like a waste of money if u ask me.

But i suppose if your tv only has so many plugin areas on it and you dont want to connect all of them...

The other thing is that I had bought the Arcade classic collect for my Dreamcast at one point and found that the sound from the games, Golden Axe being one, was HORRIBLY off in ways that even thinking about it causes my ears to hurt. I bring this up because this seems like Sega's 2nd attempt at packaging all these old games together... what I want to know I guess is: what did they mess up this time?
    Last edited by LordVailent; 03-02-2009 at 08:15 AM Reason: only half of origional was entered for some reason...

Quote Originally Posted by LordVailent View Post
    The other thing is that I had bought the Arcade classic collect for my Dreamcast at one point and found that the sound from the games, Golden Axe being one, was HORRIBLY off in ways that even thinking about it causes my ears to hurt. I bring this up because this seems like Sega's 2nd attempt at packaging all these old games together... what I want to know I guess is: what did they mess up this time?
    Some of the Arcade title extras are useless/boring but theres nothing noticeable about sound, there good ports, there are 2 or 3 games with buzz/static sounds when performing certain actions (i'd have to play to check again) but its minor, not on the scale you mentioned.

To add to what you suggested - they could always redevelop the games in true HD, complete sprite (and sound) overhaul.

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News